IMG-20170108-WA0035.jpg

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

In a nutshell ..... no, a truly born again believer cannot do this.

I've seen a lot of people, especially on message boards but a few in real life, who claim to "change their minds" and "leave" Christianity, but those people according to the Bible were never saved to begin with.  1 John 2:19 - "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us."

There are countless people sitting in churches today who are not saved, but think they are.  They walked an aisle, said a prayer, shook hands with the preacher, got dunked in the baptistry, but they never got saved.

People like this fall away all of the time. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

9 minutes ago, Jayne said:

That is correct. Apostasy is a rejection of Bible Christianity, and a believer does not reject the basis of his or her faith.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  647
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

22 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I've seen a lot of people, especially on message boards but a few in real life, who claim to "change their minds" and "leave" Christianity, but those people according to the Bible were never saved to begin with.  1 John 2:19 - "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us."

There are countless people sitting in churches today who are not saved, but think they are.  They walked an aisle, said a prayer, shook hands with the preacher, got dunked in the baptistry, but they never got saved.

People like this fall away all of the time. 

Well said.

A Christian can backslide but they cannot walk away from the grace God bestowed upon them. Nor can they undo all that redemption afforded the sincere of heart.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

To be the contrary one here, I believe yes, a believer can choose to walk away from their faith. I don't believe God will ever kick them out, but that doesn't mean we cant choose to leave. I feel personally like at one point in my life I did leave the walk, and came back, and the doctrine of free choice has always been a biblical concept all the way back from Genesis all the way to Revelation.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think one can simply walk away from faith. We do not see anything like that in Bible. We see Bible talk about being born again. There is no such concept of becoming dead after being born again. We see Bible talk about in dwelling of Holy Spirit as "seal". I don't think we can break the seal as we wish.

Backsliding is absolutely there. The truth is, so many people someone has become apostate without understanding whether the person was saved at the first place. The problem is because people think someone speaking in tongues must be saved. Because they incorrectly believe a person must speak in tongues to be saved! 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39

2 hours ago, ravindran said:

I don't think one can simply walk away from faith.

However it was and came to be ,   people I used to go to church , sunday school,  prayer meetings,  bible studies,

even pastors and teachers and evangelists ,  short time or long time, 

no longer walk with JESUS.  

Who know if ever they truly did,

but now-a-days they say openly they don't.

Likewise in the book,  in REVELATION,

many (a multitude or multitudes) who were told and convinced that they were born again (saved) on earth,

and believed that entirely when they died,

find out on judgment day that they weren't.   By then, of course, it is too late - after they died there was nothing they could do.

And all their life they lived as they chose,  whether they were deceived into it or went willingly.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Its a scary thought. What I personally witnessed was a relative get deeply involved in a church,present at services many days of the week,severely change their lifestyle eg diet ,even to the point where I was wondering why I wasn't as committed. Later on said person dropped out of that church and got to the point where they're now atheist and has aggressively opposed Christianity in FBI posts and family arguments

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39

Then I heard another voice out of heaven say: “My people, come out of her! so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not be infected by her plagues,

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.45
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

5 hours ago, simplejeff said:
Then I heard another voice out of heaven say: “My people, come out of her! so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not be infected by her plagues,

I agree with you. We must leave the religious system so that we can enter into a personal and intense relationship with Jesus Christ. In fact, this is exactly what happened to the blind man of John 9:

·        “Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee. And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.” (João 9.35-38).

Notice that Jesus revealed Himself to him only after the religious leaders had expel him.

Jesus is not a religion to be followed, but rather a person with whom we should have daily and continuous intimacy, in whose company we find delight and rest (Psalms 37:4,7).