IGNORED

IHOP: A Deceived, Heretical Movement

Guest shiloh357

Guest shiloh357

This is a spin off from the "I Wonder?" Thread to address one specific group mentioned in that thread:  IHOP or International House of Prayer." The article is from CARM.

The International House of Prayer (IHOP) was started on May 7, 1999 by Mike Bickle in Kansas City. [1]  It is well known for its 24/7 worship and prayer ministry.  Now it has grown substantially to include international ties, its very own seminary, and undergraduate program.  People from around the globe are flocking to IHOP, but do they actually know what they are getting into?

Cultic Origins and Goals

It is clear that almost all of the participants in IHOP do not have an understanding of what they are getting into.  Many of the participants, including many genuine Christians who are being deceived, believe it is a place to go pray and worship, while not knowing what the theological distinctives are that make IHOP unique.  The true origin started in 1982 after a man named Augustine approached Mike Bickle and said an audible voice told him to prophesy to his congregation.  Later that year, Mike Bickle claimed to hear an audible voice speaking to him while on a trip in Cairo, Egypt.  The voice told him, “I am inviting you to raise up a work that will touch the ends of the earth. I have invited many people to do this thing and many people have said yes, but very few have done my will.” [2] 

This is parallel to how many other cults of Christianity are born.  They follow the basic formula:

(Blank 1) said God told him/her a message, and he/she and starts the (Blank 2) church.

For Example:

• Joseph Smith said God told him a message, and he started the Mormon church.
  • Ellen G. White said God told her a message, and she started the Seventh Day Adventist church.
  • Mary Baker Eddy said God told her a message, and she started the Christian Science church.
  • Sun Myung Moon said God told him a message, and he started the Unification church.
  • Witness Lee/Watchman Nee said God told him a message, and he started the Local Church.
  • Mike Bickle said God told him a message, and he started the International House of Prayer.

To Read the Rest of the Article:https://carm.org/ihop

Guest shiloh357

Here is an excerpt from an article from a blog by an ex-IHOP member.  Rather eye-opening.

"I’ve been asked many times about what I’ve seen and experienced
in the time I was on staff as an intern at the International House
of Prayer (IHOP) here in Kansas City.
One of the major cracks in IHOP’s faulty foundation
is their return in many ways to the New Age roots of Catholicism.
The saints, patriarchs and characters of scripture
are the ones idolized, emulated and worshiped.

Everyone is encouraged to be a “Mary” at the feet of Jesus
or an “Anna” in the temple or a “David” (ie: worshiper).
The focus is not on being like Jesus.
It’s about being like a particular Bible character.
Jesus is not the primary focus…becoming like a person is.
Catholics worship Mary
IHOP-ers worship the pillar figures that have become a staple
part of their doctrine.

Another example of this is seen in IHOP’s
erroneous interpretation of the book of Song of Solomon.

The book of Song of Solomon is held above the rest of scripture as the primary way G-d relates to His people. This makes G-d out to be a sexual, lovesick, love-struck, hormone-driven teenager who is so “captivated” and “awestruck” that He longs after humanity and is running around Heaven going crazy without her.

The relationship G-d has to Israel is likened to that of a marriage in a few places in scripture…but it’s with the nation of Israel as a whole…it’s not an individual romance between God and a person. The book of Song of Solomon is written about the natural marriage relationship between husband and wife as written by Solomon about his own marriage. It is not the blueprint of Christianity or the primary starry-eyed, lustful way that IHOP paints G-d’s view of His people."

https://gospelmasquerade.wordpress.com/2009/03/22/kissing-god-emulating-saints-how-catholocism-and-the-bridal-paradigm-are-leaking-into-the-body-of-christ/

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

There are more testimonies about IHOP, and other false religion practices that I am afraid you will not have enough time to post them all!  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I thought this was going to be about a restaurant chain....   took me a minute to get onboard.  I agree with OneLight, none of us have the time to post and read all the things written about this group.

Guest shiloh357
3 hours ago, other one said:

I thought this was going to be about a restaurant chain....   took me a minute to get onboard.  I agree with OneLight, none of us have the time to post and read all the things written about this group.

Actually the restaurant "International House of Pancakes"  filed suit against the International House of Prayer over their use of IHOP for trademark violations or something.  I have not heard how that turned out.

Charles Spurgeon once said, "There is hardship in everything except pancakes."    :P

Yes, the web of false teaching this group is into is far too extensive to really cover, but that is what makes it so awful.  I mean those poor young people who are the primary targets of IHOP are led into a morass of false ideas about God and what constitutes worship and it is so vast there is no way to do every aspect of it, justice.

Guest shiloh357

The worst part about the IHOP movement is how the sexualize our relationship with God.   It's not just them.  Much of contemporary worship music reflects that heresy.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  647
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

Heresy is any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs or customs. A heretic is a proponent of such claims or beliefs

It's suspect that we're posting judgment and condemnation toward various Christian religious groups now isn't it? What's the point really? If someone was a member and has something to share in their testimony that's understandable. But to pick and choose a group here or there that's judged by an author of a post as heretical is like slings and arrows serving no righteous purpose.

Maybe this is what's so upsetting to some:

IHOP: International House of Prayer

Controversy

Mike Bickle has previously been involved in what was called by others as "the Kansas City prophets movement," and which was criticized by Ernie Gruen in a well-known controversy after which John Wimber, the leader of the Vineyard Church extended oversight to Mike Bickle and his church (Kansas City Fellowship) which then jointed the AVC and changed its name to Metro Vineyard Fellowsip. Two men who were said to be a part of the "Kansas City Prophets," Bob Jones and Paul Cain, left the ministry due to professional and sexual scandal.[11]

IHOPKC has repeatedly been accused of being a cult by Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry and other apologetics groups.[12][13]

The 2013 documentary film God Loves Uganda suggests that North American evangelicals in general, and IHOPKC specifically, were responsible for Uganda's Anti-Homosexuality Bill.[14] IHOPKC has stated that it was not connected to the bill and is opposed to the legislation.[15]

When IHOPKC moved to a new location in an old shopping center in the Terrace Lake neighborhood of Kansas City in 2002, many members of the local community voiced suspicions about the ministry. IHOPKC attempted to allay their fears in a series of community meetings.[16][17][18] IHOPKC has been credited, however, with helping the local economy by bringing large numbers of visitors to the area.[19]

On September 14, 2010, IHOP (International House of Pancakes) announced that they were suing the International House of Prayer for trademark dilution and infringement.[20] The lawsuit was dropped on December 21, 2010, with the dispute resolved out of court.[21]

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

I thought this was going to be about a restaurant chain....   took me a minute to get onboard.  I agree with OneLight, none of us have the time to post and read all the things written about this group.                                               other one

LOL,I couldn't imagine what Shiloh was going to say about IHOP,,,,,glad he spelled it out right away in the OP:24:

Guest shiloh357
11 minutes ago, soonsister said:
Heresy is any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs or customs. A heretic is a proponent of such claims or beliefs

It's suspect that we're posting judgment and condemnation toward various Christian religious groups now isn't it? What's the point really?

No, I am posting about a heretical group.  The point is to make people aware since this group draws a lot of young people into its fold and fills their minds with false teaching.

If someone was a member and has something to share in their testimony that's understandable. But to pick and choose a group here or there that's judged by an author of a post as heretical is like slings and arrows serving no righteous purpose.

Maybe this is what's so upsetting to some:

IHOP: International House of Prayer

Controversy

Mike Bickle has previously been involved in what was called by others as "the Kansas City prophets movement," and which was criticized by Ernie Gruen in a well-known controversy after which John Wimber, the leader of the Vineyard Church extended oversight to Mike Bickle and his church (Kansas City Fellowship) which then jointed the AVC and changed its name to Metro Vineyard Fellowsip. Two men who were said to be a part of the "Kansas City Prophets," Bob Jones and Paul Cain, left the ministry due to professional and sexual scandal.[11]

IHOPKC has repeatedly been accused of being a cult by Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry and other apologetics groups.[12][13]

That is because they fit the standard profile of a cult.

The 2013 documentary film God Loves Uganda suggests that North American evangelicals in general, and IHOPKC specifically, were responsible for Uganda's Anti-Homosexuality Bill.[14] IHOPKC has stated that it was not connected to the bill and is opposed to the legislation.[15]

When IHOPKC moved to a new location in an old shopping center in the Terrace Lake neighborhood of Kansas City in 2002, many members of the local community voiced suspicions about the ministry. IHOPKC attempted to allay their fears in a series of community meetings.[16][17][18] IHOPKC has been credited, however, with helping the local economy by bringing large numbers of visitors to the area.[19]

So what?  Lots of cults to good things.  I have seen commercials on TV that I thought were put out by Focus on the Family and they were actually sponsored and produced by the Mormons.   Not all cults are out there looking crazy.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

A bit more on IHOP from the original link posted by Shiloh:

"The Power of Emotionalism, Mysticism, and Gnosticism

The major draw of IHOP is experience.  People often come to me citing their experience and go back again and again to experience "God" and the "Spirit" - no different than an emotional high.  This is analogous to mysticism, which is defined as “the pursuit of deeper or higher subjective religious experience,” and “that spiritual reality is perceived apart from the human intellect and natural senses.” [13] They practice what is known as centering or contemplative prayer.  This is defined as “the practice of relaxing, emptying the mind, and letting one's self find the presence of God within.” [10] In fact, they had an article titled “Contemplative Prayer” on their website, but after much negative press they have taken it down."

A Sampling of the Prophecies

"1. On disc 7 of The Prophetic History, Bickle describes a visitation to the throne-room of God as he is told that God will be restoring the apostles to the church. Let me preface this by saying that before getting to this point in his message, Bickle described the experience as being on par with the Apostle Paul’s experience in the Third Heaven in 2 Cor. 12 as well as John’s visions.

They’ve been told by church leadership that it is up to them to “usher in” the Second Coming of Jesus. They’ve been encouraged to do away with discernment concerning mystical experiences. They’ve been told that they are “forerunners” of Christ in the same way that John the Baptist was. They’ve been told that the orthodox views of Christianity are weak and it’s up to them to restore the “true” message of the Gospel, using their new “powers from God” to start a revival that will win souls for the Kingdom..."

IHOP is definitely one to stay away from! :o

Act 20:29-30
(29)  For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
(30)  Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.