Paper mache

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

So, my church does a VBS-like thing one Sunday each month, where all the kids go back to the fellowship hall and a lesson is taught, they do a craft, snacks are served, and games are played. I get the privilege to teach in that Sunday in February! But, I'm only 16 years old. I've only ever taught in a Sunday School class once, and there were only a few kids. Now, I'm going to have to teach, like, 20 kids. I'm a little bit nervous. :P

Since it's in February, I would like to do a lesson on God's love, for Valentine's Day. I'm thinking about basing it on Romans 5:8, "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Any tips or suggestions (either for the lesson or for being nervous)?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Brittany said:

To illustrate God's love, get some of the kids together and do a short drama on the Prodigal Son. View some of the cartoon videos of this story to see how you can dress them. As to being nervous, take the focus off yourself, and think about how to make this an effective illustration focusing on the children instead.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, Brittany said:

So, my church does a VBS-like thing one Sunday each month, where all the kids go back to the fellowship hall and a lesson is taught, they do a craft, snacks are served, and games are played. I get the privilege to teach in that Sunday in February! But, I'm only 16 years old. I've only ever taught in a Sunday School class once, and there were only a few kids. Now, I'm going to have to teach, like, 20 kids. I'm a little bit nervous. :P

Since it's in February, I would like to do a lesson on God's love, for Valentine's Day. I'm thinking about basing it on Romans 5:8, "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

I think that we should not burden the children with adult issues too much, and develop in them a guilty conscience, because the same thing people believe that may keep them away from  sin , the same thing a guilty conscience can drive people away from God, is  not a good feeling. 

Perhaps Jesus blessing the children and saying to them belong the kingdom of God, that sounds awesome!!! 

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

On 1/14/2017 at 7:31 PM, Brittany said:

My thought - if you explain sin as actions that hurt God, others, or yourself (I know, sin is a nature rather than an action per se, but for the sake of getting the message across...), you could then compare God's action with shoeing love to someone who bullied you, or something like that.

???

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

I would not concentrate on sin.. it is the Valentine's Day month so I would concentrate on LOVE.

There is a song called "The Love of God" by Fredrick Lehman. It is old but the last verse is what I would concentrate on.

Could we with ink the ocean fill,

And were the skies of parchment made,   

Were every stalk on earth a quill,

And every man a scribe by trade,

To write the love of God above,

Would drain the ocean dry.

Nor could the scroll contain the whole, 

Though stretched from sky to sky.

Chorus....

O love of God, how rich and pure!

How measureless and strong!

It shall forevermore endure

The saints' and angels' song.

You would have to explain what the modern equivalent of these words are, but I do not think another song expresses the love God has for us as much as this song does.

You would most certainly have to explain the meaning to the underlined words..so look them up. Follow by going to the dollar store and buy some foam hearts, red and white that could be glued together or over top of one another. They could also make a card for mom and dad. The older children could help the young ones if they desire.

Just a thought.....:emot-heartbeat:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.45
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 1/14/2017 at 10:31 PM, Brittany said:

Dear sister Brittany,

Grace and mercy and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Behold some verses about the “love of God”:

“But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.” (Luke 11:42).

“But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.” (John 5:42)

“And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.” (Romans 5:5).

“Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:39).

“The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, [ be ] with you all. Amen.” (II Corinthians 13:14)

“And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.” (II Thessalonians 3:5).

“But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,” (Titus 3:4).

“But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.” (I John 2:5).

“But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels [ of compassion ] from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?” (I John 3:17).

“He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.” (I John 4:8-10).

“And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.” (1 John 4.16).

“For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.” (I John 5:3).

“Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.” (Jude 1:21).

“But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) and hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:” (Ephesians 2.4-6).

Through a biblical key you can find more references that can improve your knowledge.

But the main thing is that the love of Christ fills your heart and can be seen through you.