• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

How many  of you work,- for a living? Or work for fulfillment of some need, whether  social interaction, self respect, fear of retirement,or  whatever the motivation may be for you personally?

I ask for my personal gain of knowledge which may lead to some wisdom, as I  do work, always have and have what I suspect is  fear of not working. Seems retirement has never been my goal. Fear of retirement has been a factor for me. But- I cannot for myself define the why of that fear. And so I ask what of you? What is your experience to date? I know many love retirement, even  if they  loved their work labors.

I know my body is  slowing. I  have been blessed to be able to push through many physical faults that ave occurred over the many years ( I'm now 73) and still can  push through a hard day of work, but should I has become a question  in my mind? My work is my play. I have a "ministry" of helps and am compensated by  my own local body of Christ Jesus for my  talents and gift in that area.

Yet there is the sense  of calling, least of calling out to look and see, is there something new, either in service or  just to pack it in and... - and there is the rub, and what?

So I ask  for a sharing from you, if you have had either similar or very contrasting ideas and experiences,  share with me if you will. That I may have fuller thought on what has happened for others that also serve their Lord in so many divergent manners and ways. What do  you think you will be planning or have planned or have done regarding late life and or retirement?

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

Retirement was the best thing to ever happen to me.  I looked forward to it for years, and it is everything I hoped it would be.  I occasionally substitute teach at the local high school and every so often teach a class at the local college, but that is all on my schedule when I am in the mood.

With retirement we can do what we want when we want to, go where we want when we want to.  It is a great life

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

For some reason this was a troublesome outlook for men when I retired. Women seem to look foreword to retirement thinking of all the time they would have to do all the things they never found time for while working. Some men worried about how they will find things to fill their time. 

Men think they will be bored. Yet in every case when men have retired they will say, " I am so busy.".  Church involvement, golf, part-time jobs for a couple of hours a day, travel, volunteering, fixing things in the home....men wonder when they had time to work.

When I retired from teaching, about 2/3 to 3/4 of the staff retired. We were within a year or two the same age and could not wait to retire. The men did not regret retiring....they were too busy . 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Fear of retirement has been a factor for me.

That's a healthy fear. Many who retire lose their purpose in life, and end up in the grave. Since there is much work to be done in God's harvest field, keep on working.

Guest BacKaran

Since I'm part of the baby boomers and that pyramid of many workers helping supplement the older generations retirement has been flipped so there are fewer workers but more retirees, I guess I thought I would retire but not have SS to help.

Reality is really different than one's dreams and I've learned to go with the flow.

Hubby died unexpectedly at age 53..... Retirement? We had planned maybe early retirement and travel at age 58 or so.... OK, well shifting to learning how to live a new normal without my life partner, I've decided to quit work to focus on my health. I'm not officially retired but I've been out of the workforce for three years, my last day of employment was on our 30th wedding anniversary, so it seemed right.

I've been able to help my dad, daughter and church family but surgery is always needed for something....

So I'm praying the surgeries will end, I can get back into shape and then serve wherever I can! Right now I'm a prayer warrior and I'm trusting God to help me do whatever He wills.

If one is not flexible, one will break!

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

31 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Retirement? When I retired my wife quickly retired me out to the garage, a secret location from where I am tapping out these words :P

As long as you handcraft something special for her in your hideout, there should be no problem.  She needs to see your creativity.

Personally, I have never believed in retirement, since the retirement mindset is detrimental to one's health (both physical and mental). And there is always much work to be done for Christ.  The harvest is plenteous and the laborers are few.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, Ezra said:

As long as you handcraft something special for her in your hideout, there should be no problem.  She needs to see your creativity.

Personally, I have never believed in retirement, since the retirement mindset is detrimental to one's health (both physical and mental). And there is always much work to be done for Christ.  The harvest is plenteous and the laborers are few.

Which is the perfect reason to retire from the secular workforce.  It frees up your time to do the work of Christ.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Kind of a sidetrack, but pertains I suppose. Besides I have been on an Eisenhower kick for a few days. "I like Ike"

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." Dwight D. Eisenhower

I have had prosperity,  lost it, had it again, lost it, had it again, spent it. And now I have a modest retirement fall back. I am blessed of God to be able to still serve, and receive pay for my services too.

My physician caught my attention recently as we discussed  the plight of our aging population. He stated  most coming to see him do not have ability to fund their retirement years. Then He added; "but you, your still working at 73. And, you don't really have  all that many years left anyway. So you are in much better shape than the 65 year old retirees I see."  At first I thought; "wow fortunate me"! Then I wondered- what? What was that part about not many years left anyway?

Ha, my doctor cracks me up.

He just did my physical exam, mostly we just chatted and he asked if I would do this test and that one, knowing the answer- No. He had done his bit for his legal department, and I had done mine so that I could still get my one med.  We parted with a "see you in six months, God willing".

It is funny though that I find myself thinking, if I quit work what will I make my new career? I have been thinking about making furniture. I have interest in a particular historic US style that I want to work out.  I can't get in my garage for all the wood working equipment at storage there right now. So all I need is shop space. Maybe I can find it at the new  mountain log cabin I think I might want somewhere, or the lake property I have been eying online, or I could expand my home, no the neighborhood association won't like that much.

My new bride kinda wants a retreat place, a fall back if we sell this old house.  I understand that "need". I just have to get past the fear of calling it quits where I  have served the past thirteen years. Can't leave on the number 13 can I?

THANK YOU ALL for the sharing of your own  experiences to date and thoughts on retirement. It helps me a lot to play your experiences off  of my own  mind's wanderings.

More thoughts? Other's, thoughts? 

Edited by Neighbor