Men supporting the family financially?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I know that men and women are both supposed to support the family in different ways, but my boyfriend (we plan on getting married eventually) is so worried that I might get a job that pays more than his. Not because he wants a lot of money, but because he feels like if he doesn't do most of the financial supporting, that he's failed.

Is there anything in the Bible stating that the men in the relationship have to do most of the financial supporting (I already know that the husband/father (hopefully the same person) are supposed to be the spiritual leaders, but my question is about financially)?

I'm planning on working as a nurse, and he wants to be a missionary.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Brittany said:

I know that men and women are both supposed to support the family in different ways, but my boyfriend (we plan on getting married eventually) is so worried that I might get a job that pays more than his. Not because he wants a lot of money, but because he feels like if he doesn't do most of the financial supporting, that he's failed.

Is there anything in the Bible stating that the men in the relationship have to do most of the financial supporting (I already know that the husband/father (hopefully the same person) are supposed to be the spiritual leaders, but my question is about financially)?

Do you live together? I do not think the Bible says any thing about the man having to take on the responsibility of all the financial support.

Many point to 1 Timothy 5:8 as a reference for this question -

“But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”  - KJV

"Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."  - NIV

That verse does speak about providing, but doesn't really specify about the majority provider. If I had a job that brought in 50K/yr., and my wife earned 100K/yr. at hers, I personally do not see that as being out of step biblically.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

Scripture is pretty clear about providing for our own household as someone has already mentioned and given the scripture reference.  It matters not how much money one makes more than the other as long as your needs are being met and the bills are paid.  Certainly nothing to be fighting over.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,523
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I suggest that conversations with parents, older women of the local body of Christ Jesus, Deaconesses, and wives of missionaries may be of best aid for a 16 year old trying to work out plans for life ahead.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 1/17/2017 at 11:00 PM, Brittany said:

Dear sister Brittany,

Grace and mercy and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately, people have misunderstood the family issue. Few bother to understand God's plan for family. Look at what is written in Genesis 2:24:

·        “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.”

Notice how man and woman have to be one flesh. This is literal. It is good to remember that, in the home, husband is head and woman, body (1 Corinthians 11.3). Has it happened to you, when you waked up in the morning, to find that your head is in the refrigerator eating something while your body is in bed? Is not that nonsense?

The sacred scripture is clear: In Christ Jesus, neither is the husband without the woman, nor the woman without the husband?

·        “Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 11:11).

Also, remember that woman was created to be the help meet for the man:

·        “And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.” (Genesis 2.18).

Therefore, husband and wife, together with their children, must always be working, twenty-four hours, together and in the same thing:

·        “And indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more; and that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; that ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.” (1 Thessalonians 4:10-12).

After all, if it was for husband and wife to go, each to their corner, to work on what they want, then the family has no reason to be. Often the husband or wife knows their co-workers more than each other, or their children. In the end, what exists is not a family, but a pension.

The idea of the work is that husband, wife and children, together, grow through work, in knowledge, character and experience with God.

May Jesus help us to make the home a perfect example of the relationship between the Eternal and the church.