IGNORED

Cities and their stars - Major cities night skies unobscured by light pollution (gorgeous)

soonsister

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  647
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

Cohen photographs the world’s major cities, seeking out views that resonate for him and noting the precise time, angle, and latitude and longitude of his exposure.

Paris.jpg

Cohen's Gallery of more major cities and their stars

I'm not fond of big cities. These pictures change my mind. Can you imagine if there was no light pollution in cities? Some other light source that doesn't obscure the view of the stars? We'd have crinked necks and bruised faces , walking into things as we can't help but keep looking up.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,776
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, soonsister said:

Cohen photographs the world’s major cities, seeking out views that resonate for him and noting the precise time, angle, and latitude and longitude of his exposure.

Paris.jpg

Cohen's Gallery of more major cities and their stars

I'm not fond of big cities. These pictures change my mind. Can you imagine if there was no light pollution in cities? Some other light source that doesn't obscure the view of the stars? We'd have crinked necks and bruised faces , walking into things as we can't help but keep looking up.

It's a beautiful picture, thank you for posting. 

11 hours ago, Yowm said:

I'm still trying to figure out what all those white specks in the sky are.

Dust on the camera sensor? :P

;) That must be it.

10 hours ago, Your closest friendnt said:

It's a beautiful picture, thank you for posting. 

My pleasure. Did you click on the gallery and scroll through all the other city star scapes? Amazing shots. Rio, Rome, San Francisco and more. All these gorgeous cities with their respective star fields showing in the skies above. It's shocking what we're missing due to light pollution that we're so use to.

Our president elect's home city, NYC. And the empire state building. EMPIRESTATE.jpg

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. More @ the Gallery: http://imgur.com/gallery/Yrb9S

RIO.jpg

I don't know if he did anything else than just omit the artificial lighting to arrive at these shots. The skies pictured are said to be the exact sky at that time of year over each city. With nothing but starlight illuminating any part of the evening I imagine there would be a natural dark hue to any big city. Cutting out the lights in the buildings pictured too of course.

I have friends who went to Alaska to camp out.In the middle of nowhere, they chose to forego their tents and bring their sleeping bags outside so they could enjoy the stars in the pitch black. No light pollution, no other humans for miles. Thank goodness bears weren't anywhere around. They'd have been the human equivalent of a hot pocket. :P

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

The best sky views I've seen were on Kona Hawaii....    after about 10:00 all upward outside lighting has to be turned off so that it doesn't affect the observatory on top of the mountains there and just with a pair of good binoculars the view is beyond remarkable.

I wished I had my tripod there to take pictures, but it's way too much trouble and I didn't want to buy one and have to take it home.....

21 minutes ago, soonsister said:

I don't know if he did anything else than just omit the artificial lighting to arrive at these shots. The skies pictured are said to be the exact sky at that time of year over each city. With nothing but starlight illuminating any part of the evening I imagine there would be a natural dark hue to any big city. Cutting out the lights in the buildings pictured too of course.

I have friends who went to Alaska to camp out.In the middle of nowhere, they chose to forego their tents and bring their sleeping bags outside so they could enjoy the stars in the pitch black. No light pollution, no other humans for miles. Thank goodness bears weren't anywhere around. They'd have been the human equivalent of a hot pocket. :P

All the pictures were amazing, my daughter took a special interest in them. 

Your story brought back memories, when were growing up in Athens, summer time we slept out in the backyard looking at an amazing blue sky, we  had learned to identify some of the canselations , we needed to use our imagination to agree on what we actually see. 

I know what you mean. It takes a bit of imagination to pick out the named star clusters. Though a beautiful night sky is a wonder for the imagination in itself. When I was a child and still today, I wonder(ed) if there was life out there that as looking toward our own milky way galaxy and wondering if anyone was there looking back at them. 

Later in my early 20's I found a tee shirt that was a perfect reminder of those days. The design is shared below. Perfect to really put into perspective how small we are in God's galactic tapestry.

U.jpg

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Even more amazing is that Cohen has kept this to himself all these years.  He is usually is such a quiet person and yet so dear to my heart. 

Thank you for sharing these photos.  They are a real blessing.  My husband used to take a telescope with him when he traveled and set it up on a remote forest hillside.  Our kids were still small, but he took us up there one night to show us the beauty he had discovered.  Well, it was all interrupted by a loud noise and being attacked by an unknown assailant!  Hubby pushed me and the kids into the car, as we were struck again and again with a roar.  Later we learned it was a Common Nighthawk, a nightjar.  The males make a frightening noise when defending their nests which are on open ground.  We had apparently come to close in the dark. "During the breeding season, the male makes a booming sound by flexing his wings while diving, making air rush through his primaries. He does this while diving at females during courtship, and while diving at intruders (including humans). The male may clap his wings when intruders approach the nest."

41 minutes ago, soonsister said:

I know what you mean. It takes a bit of imagination to pick out the named star clusters. Though a beautiful night sky is a wonder for the imagination in itself. When I was a child and still today, I wonder(ed) if there was life out there that as looking toward our own milky way galaxy and wondering if anyone was there looking back at them. 

Later in my early 20's I found a tee shirt that was a perfect reminder of those days. The design is shared below. Perfect to really put into perspective how small we are  God's galactic tapestry.

U.jpg

There must be some short of life which we can not see, but we see the works of that life. 

Time pass the astronomers setle this argument when they objerve a new hill that there was not there before in one of the planets. 

That was physical evidence that there was life in that planet. 

There was a lot of speculation , in the line of what kind of equipment they must have used to form this huge hill in that short period of time. 

Some claim it was their garbage dumb, because it kept sifting in shape and growing in size. 

And to everyone surprise , one time it all disappeared. 

The one who suggested that the hill consisted of salt, and they must have had a bad winter , that they used all of it to salt their roads got the Nobel prize of seeing where no one can see. 

When they took him in for an eye examination, instant of opening his eyes he closed them. And refused to open them up. 

And he said , I can see that all of you are very angry with me because I do not open my eyes , but if I open my eyes I will not see what I  can see with my eyes close.