• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

I work for a Christian boss and i get along with most everyone at my office. I started out at 12.00 an hour. My job is not easy, it takes months of training to learn how to do what I do. It is merchant processing. I do a lot of things from training agents, to handling customer service calls, to looking up information on accounts. I am very busy, and from what I see, busier than some other people at times.

I have never gotten a raise at all. My three month review I got no raise. I am told constantly that I am doing a "great job."

About a month ago I approached my supervisor about a raise. She told me she was working on it and it was well deserved. She had me up my training, watch more training videos, study the contracts of the company, which I did. 

While I have been there I have heard the wind of disgruntled employees that have been there awhile, complaining and inferring that the CEO is "cheap" and states he "can't afford to give anyone a raise" then goes on a cruise.

I realize that people go into business to make money. I know the girl they recently hired that works next to me got a raise after about three months.

Around the first week of January, the CEO pulled the entire staff into a meeting and announced that he was very upset at some of the laziness he was observing (mind you i was not included in this as I work very hard and there are a few chatty people that do not pull their weight the way they should sometimes. I am constantly working and taking calls.

Anyways the boss in the meeting stated anyone on the internet from now on (unless its for companyh purposes) would be fired. I do not blame him one bit, but he also announced that he had to pull thirty thousand dollars of his familys money into the company to keep it afloat. The numbers were so bad that he began asking staff members to see if we could get some accounts signed up, hoping we had some friends or aquaintances. He looked very upset, close to tears.

I felt moved to compassion seeing the anxiety and pain in his eyes as he addressed the staff. later on, one of the employees quietly told me "he pulls this every year" and the Jan sales are double what they were last year.

My supervisor told me privately that she feels hurt that she cant get me a raise and knows I deserve one and I should have gotten one a long time ago. She also privately told me that no ones salary has changed for three years. (I know that is a lie because my coworker got a raise several months ago when they switched her over to salary). She had tears in her eyes when she told me this and told me that I sound great on the phone, I am doing a great job, and she wouldn't want anyone else working for her doing what I do than me. She also said that as soon as something changes she will let me know.

I don't know if my boss is stingy or really broke and scared, but I am really disssapointed. I don't need the money, it's just the principal of the thing, not getting any salary increase at all. 

I don't need the money because I am blessed enough at 44 to be living at home and paying only 100 dollars a month. I am grateful I have a job, but I am struggling with whether I should buy the bosses story about things being tight, or if he is just miserly and doesn't want to compensate people properly. He owns several properties, cars, and seems to take frequent vacations. Which is his choice, but his lifestyle seems to indicate he is not so broke after all.

I am beginning to see my boss in a different light. I'm torn between feeling resentment that all my hard work is not being financially rewarded, and feeling a little sorry that my boss is supposedly struggling. i do not know if he is truly struggling that much or if he is a bit of a drama king.

Would you look for another job, or hang in there?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

My focus needs to be on me and my relationship with God.  Love God with all my heart mind soul and body.

Then love my neighbor as myself leaving judgment upro God through  Christ. 

My business partner takes somewhere between 15 and 20 trips a year.  This year I get to go on my first.  Satan has sought to tempt me to envy but I answer with praise to God for what he has done for my partner.  I pray that he give him more and help him lead our company.

God chooses whom he will give what too.  I had no hope of being more than someone's employee and God paired me up with an amazingly gifted partner.  I do my part and don't complain about what he gets.  I work on my ministry work outside of business converting lost souls and my reward has been a steady rise financially.  I attribute my raises to my seeking the kingdom first instead of my performance.  

I keep going up up and up.

God is amazing.

Guest shiloh357
8 hours ago, slp said:

I would be thankful to the Lord that I have a job.  There people who might do your job and do it for less pay.  It is tough not to get rewarded when you have worked hard.  I get that.  It stinks.  I would hang in there and  just thank God that you have a job to go to everyday.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,760
  • Content Per Day:  5.27
  • Days Won:  115

Be patient.  I started my job three years ago at a salary at below bottom of the pay-scale for an IT Admin.  For three years I have been working my job for the Lord, and just 6 months ago, I received a 25% pay raise.  It took 2 1/2 years, but it was worth it.  Not only am I making a good salary, but my work habits brought praise to the Lord, which is worth much more than the raise.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I'm thankful I have a but I'm wondering if he's stingy. If he is, I feel my hard work may never properly pay off. 

I emailed my Supervisor after I left last night asking if I could possibly make fifty cents more.

I won't keep pushing it, but I feel pretty disgusted.

It's not about the money, it's about sensing the boss may just be a man of lip service that may just not want to give raises even if things were going better.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  20

On 1/18/2017 at 8:02 PM, slp said:

You should look for another employer ASAP. If this employer cannot recognize your contribution in a tangible and meaningful way, just move on.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,760
  • Content Per Day:  5.27
  • Days Won:  115

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

You should look for another employer ASAP. If this employer cannot recognize your contribution in a tangible and meaningful way, just move on.

I have seen nothing supporting the assumption that the owner does not, nor cannot, recognize slp's contributions.  As far as being stingy, have you been shown his books, budget, etc. to verify he has the money to give a raise?  I have seen neither in this thread.  All I have seen is an employee not satisfied with his pay and accusations being tossed around.

slp, may I suggest this passage and encourage you to be patient.

Hebrews 13:5

Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

14 minutes ago, OneLight said:

I have seen nothing supporting the assumption that the owner does not, nor cannot, recognize slp's contributions.  As far as being stingy, have you been shown his books, budget, etc. to verify he has the money to give a raise?  I have seen neither in this thread.  All I have seen is an employee not satisfied with his pay and accusations being tossed around.

slp, may I suggest this passage and encourage you to be patient.

Hebrews 13:5

Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you."

I like this advice!

Col 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

Guest BacKaran

If you're not happy and are able to get another job, go for it. 

If you don't love your work, why do it?

I got one raise in seven years... From a RCC businessman... Everyone had to multi learn at least two positions or they were fired... But then it was only the over 50-60 agreed people who were getting fired...I was next in line after I asked the boss for a raise.

Guess what... Got let go so to speak. I was happy to leave and got myself a dollar raise and then an extra week of vacation and another dollar raise! In my first four months of working for new firm.

Only problem this job was like the 7 yr job but micromgmt to the nth degree. People are human, not robots... Women were freaking out they left their desks to get flowers for Valentine's day. At the front office.... Really? I don't need money that bad, I'd rather be poor than totally unhappy.

God had blessed me so I could retire early and I've never looked back.

Work is not like the old days because there's too few jobs for the workers. One can reinvent themselves, I know many IT guys make more money as free lancers... Or begun your own company?

Blessings to you!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

On 1/18/2017 at 9:02 PM, slp said:

I would discreetly start looking-- dont quit- just start looking--if you find something better but you lie you r present job- tell them yo have another offer but you would happily stay if you could get more money