• Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Brittany,

We are powerless over sin.

Our only hope to have power over sin is the Spirit of Christ in us doing the works.

Most of us do not understand why we do the things we do when we do them.  We love God's ways but find that there is something inside our bodies that brings us into subjection and causes us to do the very things we know we shouldn't. It is baffling!

We can only have victory through the Spirit of Christ.  Therefore we pray for the Spirit.  Jesus said God gives the Spirit to them that ask.  Modern theology tries to lead the believer to think they already possess the Spirit at all times in the full measure but this isn't so.  

We need to continue in prayer always asking for a full measure of the Spirit of God that we may have life and have it more abundantly.

Sin says don't cry out God hates you and that is a lie.  God says come to me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest.

Confess your sins one to another and pray for each other that you be healed is what we are told.  I have a few close closed lipped friends that I confess whenever I fail.  It is very helpful.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Okay, here goes...

I do not entertain the notion of being your conscience or anyone elses' for that matter. Nor am I trying to horn in between the Holy Spirit and you.

God the Holy Spirit may be giving you a burden to stop doing what you are doing (whatever it is and I assure you I do not want to know what it is). 

Not to freak you out, but...

1 Corinthians 5:5 (AV)
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

In this verse you can rest assured your salvation in the genuine Jesus Christ is secure. Your sin will NOT jeopardize this in the least!

BUT...

How well or poorly things go in this life can and most often does depend on how disciplined a life we lead.

There is no doubt there is a pet sin than none of us can stop doing (depending on the individual). I certainly have.

The gist of 1 John 1:5-2:17 is to stop playing games with God or blaming everyone but ourselves and just admit "I have sinned."

You don't have to confess to a priest or a pastor or a rabbi... this is between you and God.

And as I have found God needs no details in that confession... he knows them already... better than I do... but agreeing with him that I am guilty and I have sinned opens me to restored fellowship with God and his people. Otherwise an unconfessed / faced sin drives a wedge further and further between us (God and his people).

In time even the guilt trip we go on tends to fade away easier as we understand that this is a temporary life and the true life will replace it and no sin will exist there.

Again... IF GOD IS TRYING TO DO A WORK IN YOUR LIFE BY ALL MEANS LISTEN TO HIM!!!

But I also know the tendency to deal with sin in the Old Testament way of beating ourselves and others over the head with our sin and fallen natures. 

Also the devil likes to torment Christians about what we have done.

Helpful way to deal with that... "if satan reminds you of your past, remind him of his future."

Hope this helps relieve a burden.

Post script...

If God is in fact requiring you to stop something, you CAN stop and / or he can deliver you from it.

I stopped smoking cigarettes (3 pack a day habit) in 1987 after 14 years a smoker from age 11 to 25. It was pure hell! But it can be done.

What I tried hundreds of times and failed to quit for more than a brief period was lust. My particular weakness since as far back as I can remember is lusting after women's legs. And the longer I live the more they show 'em. ← not an excuse. One day grace occurred to me and I have been successfully dealing with this sin ever since.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I can't even remember the sin that was persistant, but I remember concluding that maybe God was allowing this to keep me from being self righteous.  So I know I am totally dependent on Christ's righteousness and death on the cross for my sins.  I am totally dependent on His grace because I will never be pleasing to God in my own nature or strength.  Rom 4:5  But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,

Gal 5:16  I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Gal 5:17  For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. Gal 5:18  But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

So focus on God, not your faults and the things of the flesh.  Focus on the things of the Spirit and do the things God puts on your heart to serve Him by serving others.