• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

I like the music well enough, wish I could understand the lyrics! That cathedral is sure beautiful!

I was thinking it almost sounded like "soul cake", laughing at myself. Then I read the title, and saw that if was "Soul Cake"

"What is a sould cake?", many of us would wonder. Wonder no more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_cake

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

5 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I like the music well enough, wish I could understand the lyrics! That cathedral is sure beautiful!

In years past ( I don't know the present), a person may knock at your door looking for something to eat.

People would have a storage room, a cellar, or someplace that they may look to see if they have something to give.

In this case, he says if you have nothing, maybe you'll find a penny, if not, maybe a half penny, and if nothing, then God bless you anyway.

This song is Irish tradition, but my wife grew up in Italy, and WWII, and the idea of this song was prevalent in her life as well.

When a person received food, anything, it lifted your spirit.

It fed your body and soul.

Thus, a soul cake.

An older European could well explain it better than I.

Yeah,I was reading more about it at http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=18332 

It is not clear to me that this song is allowed to be here (copyright issues perhaps). For now though at least, I do not know better.

To those who desire to post music here, please be aware posters, that not everything you can find on the internet is legal for republishing. Please do not post music videos (or other videos) unless it is allowed by the copyright owner.

6 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Yeah,I was reading more about it at http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=18332 

It is not clear to me that this song is allowed to be here (copyright issues perhaps). For now though at least, I do not know better.

To those who desire to post music here, please be aware posters, that not everything you can find on the internet is legal for republishing. Please do not post music videos (or other videos) unless it is allowed by the copyright owner.

Now you are confusing me.

If a song is free on you tube, why would it not be free here.

If this forum is making money off me posting this song, then it becomes a forum issue, not my issue.

Could you explain it better?

1 hour ago, White Rabbitt said:

Now you are confusing me.

If a song is free on you tube, why would it not be free here.

If this forum is making money off me posting this song, then it becomes a forum issue, not my issue.

Could you explain it better?

Those who originate works of art or intellectual things like articles and books, own them just like any other property is owned. People using the internet have become accustomed to thinking everything should be free.

The internet provides access to many things. Most of it is free. However, if an individual or individuals or other entities have the legal rights to some sort of intellectual property, it is their right to to determine how in if it will be distributed to others.

In the case of YouTube videos, not all of them are posted there legitimately. I use a service, that allows me me to legally (at least at the present time) record things from Netflix, and save them as them as mp4 files on my computer, for viewing later, and for viewing over and over it I choose to. I could physically make copies of these files, and put them on flash drives, or on DVD disks, or post them on YouTube or on a personal website, or even send them to friends through email.

While I can physically do this very easily, I can not do that legally. People sometimes flaunt copyright laws knowingly. Others do so without realizing they are breaking the law and being guilty of actual theft. Perhaps you have seen notices something like this:

fbiwarning.jpg

Notice the 5 years  and $250,000 numbers. This is serious stuff! Now the artist we are discussing here (Sting) supposedly earns $2000 every day, because another artist (Puff Daddy) used Sting's material without obtaining permission or license.

In that case, yes, the presumption is that Puff Daddy is making money from Sting's material. That is why he is now paying $2000/day in royalties. Notice what that copyright notice says however:

"Unauthorized reproduction or redistribution of this copyrighted work is illegal."

If you put a copyrighted work online without authorization from the copyright holder on some website, then that website becomes a distributor. 

Notice also in that warning, it says "including infringement without monetary gain".

So, whether or not money is made from it, is not relevant. When you think of that, that makes perfect sense. Copyright laws are designed to protect the copyright holder from monetary loss. If I suddenly find a way to copy and redistribute some new movie release, and just give them away for free, then I am not making any monetary gain. However, there is a monetary loss to the copyright holder, if one less DVD is sold.

This might sound to some, like greed. Maybe it is. Greed is a matter of the heart, I cannot judge that. However, people who write books and music, etc. often do that for money, it is in fact, their job.

Imagine if you worked somewhere, where you assembled widgets, and you got paid $10 for each widget you assembled. at the end of a day, you assemble 100 widgets, but before you turned them in, some good hearted person, decided to take the 100 widgets and give them away to others. The kind-hearted widget thief, just just deprived you of $1000 that you rightfully earned.

This is why we have copyright laws and patent laws, to protect people from depriving others of their work.

When we do this on a video, like this one of Soul Cake by Sting, think about what is involved. Look at the number of musicians, and singers, and the costs of their instruments, and the time they spent, learning to play them and in practicing this song. Thing of the sound equipment, the cameras, the operators of these things, the promotion costs, transportation, accommodations etc, during this project.

These costs add up and need to be reimbursed, just to break even, but they are not in this to break even, they are in this to make money, because they are professionals.

On our website, this issues also apply to things like printed work. We cannot just post whatever we like, some things represent a lot of work. It is not uncommon here to post Bible passages. That also, is usually copyrighted material. When posting even Bible passages, it is up to the poster to determine that they are not violating copyrights. Usually the publishers website will give you the conditions under which you may quote from their Bibles. Of course, the word of God was written my Him ultimately, and His inspired writers of scripture. However, VERSIONS of the Bible, were done by translators, and the translation is an intellectual work, subject to copyright laws.

Here again, the cost of working on translations is huge. It involves thousands of skilled man hours, and the editing and publication costs can be tremendous expenditures. Lest one think that it is somehow inappropriate to sell the word of God, I am very glad, that these copyright laws exist. Without them, we might not have the great resources that we enjoy today, so many people benefit from all the work that goes into Bibles. More to the point, if Bibles (and other works) were not copyrighted, people could just take a Bible, change a few words, make it into some heresy and sell or even freely redistribute them.

So, ultimately, copyright laws not only protect the authors of music and print, movies and photos, they benefit the public, by encouraging  authors to make the things we consumers enjoy and benefit from.

I know that was lengthy White Rabbit, but I though that your question was good, and others might benefit from a lot of details.

So, in summary, we want to avoid legal entanglements, potential financial losses, accusations of wrong doing, we want a good reputation, and as Christians, we are commanded to obey the authorities.

Therefore, we have in our terms of service, that users here must have permission to post copyrighted materials. Sure, there is a lot of great stuff on YouTube, but not all of it is there legally, and YouTube itself, spends a lot of money and staff time, trying to keep illegal things from being posted on it's servers, but they cannot keep up.

Similarly, it is difficult for us to do so, that is why we place than burden on the users here, it is your (all of you) job to make sure that what you post, is compliant with  the law.

Now White Rabbit, did I explain it better?

17 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Those who originate works of art or intellectual things like articles and books, own them just like any other property is owned. People using the internet have become accustomed to thinking everything should be free.

The internet provides access to many things. Most of it is free. However, if an individual or individuals or other entities have the legal rights to some sort of intellectual property, it is their right to to determine how in if it will be distributed to others.

In the case of YouTube videos, not all of them are posted there legitimately. I use a service, that allows me me to legally (at least at the present time) record things from Netflix, and save them as them as mp4 files on my computer, for viewing later, and for viewing over and over it I choose to. I could physically make copies of these files, and put them on flash drives, or on DVD disks, or post them on YouTube or on a personal website, or even send them to friends through email.

While I can physically do this very easily, I can not do that legally. People sometimes flaunt copyright laws knowingly. Others do so without realizing they are breaking the law and being guilty of actual theft. Perhaps you have seen notices something like this:

fbiwarning.jpg

Notice the 5 years  and $250,000 numbers. This is serious stuff! Now the artist we are discussing here (Sting) supposedly earns $2000 every day, because another artist (Puff Daddy) used Sting's material without obtaining permission or license.

In that case, yes, the presumption is that Puff Daddy is making money from Sting's material. That is why he is now paying $2000/day in royalties. Notice what that copyright notice says however:

"Unauthorized reproduction or redistribution of this copyrighted work is illegal."

If you put a copyrighted work online without authorization from the copyright holder on some website, then that website becomes a distributor. 

Notice also in that warning, it says "including infringement without monetary gain".

So, whether or not money is made from it, is not relevant. When you think of that, that makes perfect sense. Copyright laws are designed to protect the copyright holder from monetary loss. If I suddenly find a way to copy and redistribute some new movie release, and just give them away for free, then I am not making any monetary gain. However, there is a monetary loss to the copyright holder, if one less DVD is sold.

This might sound to some, like greed. Maybe it is. Greed is a matter of the heart, I cannot judge that. However, people who write books and music, etc. often do that for money, it is in fact, their job.

Imagine if you worked somewhere, where you assembled widgets, and you got paid $10 for each widget you assembled. at the end of a day, you assemble 100 widgets, but before you turned them in, some good hearted person, decided to take the 100 widgets and give them away to others. The kind-hearted widget thief, just just deprived you of $1000 that you rightfully earned.

This is why we have copyright laws and patent laws, to protect people from depriving others of their work.

When we do this on a video, like this one of Soul Cake by Sting, think about what is involved. Look at the number of musicians, and singers, and the costs of their instruments, and the time they spent, learning to play them and in practicing this song. Thing of the sound equipment, the cameras, the operators of these things, the promotion costs, transportation, accommodations etc, during this project.

These costs add up and need to be reimbursed, just to break even, but they are not in this to break even, they are in this to make money, because they are professionals.

On our website, this issues also apply to things like printed work. We cannot just post whatever we like, some things represent a lot of work. It is not uncommon here to post Bible passages. That also, is usually copyrighted material. When posting even Bible passages, it is up to the poster to determine that they are not violating copyrights. Usually the publishers website will give you the conditions under which you may quote from their Bibles. Of course, the word of God was written my Him ultimately, and His inspired writers of scripture. However, VERSIONS of the Bible, were done by translators, and the translation is an intellectual work, subject to copyright laws.

Here again, the cost of working on translations is huge. It involves thousands of skilled man hours, and the editing and publication costs can be tremendous expenditures. Lest one think that it is somehow inappropriate to sell the word of God, I am very glad, that these copyright laws exist. Without them, we might not have the great resources that we enjoy today, so many people benefit from all the work that goes into Bibles. More to the point, if Bibles (and other works) were not copyrighted, people could just take a Bible, change a few words, make it into some heresy and sell or even freely redistribute them.

So, ultimately, copyright laws not only protect the authors of music and print, movies and photos, they benefit the public, by encouraging  authors to make the things we consumers enjoy and benefit from.

I know that was lengthy White Rabbit, but I though that your question was good, and others might benefit from a lot of details.

So, in summary, we want to avoid legal entanglements, potential financial losses, accusations of wrong doing, we want a good reputation, and as Christians, we are commanded to obey the authorities.

Therefore, we have in our terms of service, that users here must have permission to post copyrighted materials. Sure, there is a lot of great stuff on YouTube, but not all of it is there legally, and YouTube itself, spends a lot of money and staff time, trying to keep illegal things from being posted on it's servers, but they cannot keep up.

Similarly, it is difficult for us to do so, that is why we place than burden on the users here, it is your (all of you) job to make sure that what you post, is compliant with  the law.

Now White Rabbit, did I explain it better?

Thanks, but how do you check if you can use something?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings White Rabbit

Usually the publishers website will give you the conditions under which you may quote from their Bibles.                              Omegaman

I do believe that the "warning" that you see in Omegamans post is what is displayed at the beginning of the video,I've seen it many times watching movies....I'm not sure if there's any other other way to find out if the video was illegally copied

In the case of YouTube videos, not all of them are posted there legitimately.                                                                     Omegaman

Perhaps Omegaman can answer that for us ,it seems tome there would not be any way of knowing for sure?                    With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

2 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

This is sickening.... why would someone put satanic music on a Christian site??

?
~
An Irish (?) Christmas Song
~

Soul Cake

A soul cake, a soul cake,
Please, good missus, a soul cake,
An apple, a pear, a plum or a cherry,
Any good thing to make us all merry.
A soul cake, a soul cake,
Please, good missus, a soul cake,
One for Peter, two for Paul,
And three for Him that made us all.
God bless the master of this house
And the mistress also,
And all the little children
That round your table grow,
The cattle in your stable,
The dogs at your front door,
And all that dwell within your gates
We'll wish you ten times more.
A soul cake, a soul cake:
Go down into the cellar
And see what you can find,
If the barrels are not empty
We'll hope that you'll be kind,
We'll hope that you'll be kind
With your… Full lyrics on Google Play Music

• Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

1 minute ago, Abby-Joy said:

About "soul cakes" ......

Halloween Customs

In Celtic parts of western Brittany, Samhain is still heralded by the baking of kornigou. Kornigou are cakes baked in the shape of antlers to commemorate the god of winter shedding his "cuckold" horns as he returns to his kingdom in the Otherworld.

:)

It's About Jesus
And The Sharing Of Gifts
And Not About Some Hunter's Trophies
Nor About The Worship Of Satan And His Soon To Be Damned Ilk (IMO)

And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen. Romans 16:20

"And three for Him that made us all."