Should i get a cat?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Normally, this would not be such a big issue for me, as i am not aware of anywhere in the bible were having a pet is forbidden, but i have heard from somewhere that there is a condition you can get from simply being around a cat (and a lot of the population has so who knows, i might already have it) that increases risk-taking. Another thing to take into account is that my dad (earthly father) is allergic to cats, although his family have had many when he was young. i don't know how reliable the information about that thing cats spread is, but i don't want it to lead me into sin, and i don't know if GOD would hold me accountable for that or not, I believe risk taking is what leads to sin a lot of the time.

i know i'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill here, and it's not the heaviest doctrinal question, but i would just like some opinions on the situation.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

If a cat would put in jeopardy the health of anyone you  have a close relationship with then I would advise you not to get one.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

16 hours ago, Praise2God4ever said:

Normally, this would not be such a big issue for me, as i am not aware of anywhere in the bible were having a pet is forbidden, but i have heard from somewhere that there is a condition you can get from simply being around a cat (and a lot of the population has so who knows, i might already have it) that increases risk-taking. Another thing to take into account is that my dad (earthly father) is allergic to cats, although his family have had many when he was young. i don't know how reliable the information about that thing cats spread is, but i don't want it to lead me into sin, and i don't know if GOD would hold me accountable for that or not, I believe risk taking is what leads to sin a lot of the time.

i know i'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill here, and it's not the heaviest doctrinal question, but i would just like some opinions on the situation.

Ha,  -and Hi,

A personal opinion: I have a cat, not any cat but "Cookie" a ferral Tabby cat. Not being a cat person at all, but having a cat, a wilder cat that  loves me is my fate. Hey what can I say? Even wilder cats love me, a plague that is is mine to bear.

I am a lover of dogs, if I am to have a pet. My new bride however came with a cat. A compensating value is she also came with a pick up truck. Really, I met my bride on a Christian Message board- long story- neither  of us were seeking company of that sort. She has a pick up truck,- and a cat.

The plan was that my bride was to leave her cat behind with a friend out in the countryside and come marry me, knowing I have allergies, and that I  just plain don't like cats. But there she was meeting me after I flew out to help her drive here, with her pick up truck, and a little case a carrier-ohoh, a cat in the carrier. What to do? I knew immediately, she could not part with her cat. So I too have a cat.

And the skittish wild cat from a wilderness place just beyond the edge of earth, out in the far country, now treasures living in the city with us. Cookie the wild cat is part billy goat, loves high places, not something I appreciate. She bounds places, never walks. But she loves me and approaches with caution, makes sure I see her about to bound, and then if I place a lap blanket on me she bounds and sleeps on my lap. I do hate cats. They bound, they have hair, they stuff up my nose, and they love me.

And yes she visits us at night, I used to hear a little tap tap tap and then  a soft landing as she lighted herself onto the foot of the bed. I knocked her off once, but she pouted all the next day. So I gave in. I do hate cats.

Now at night I hear the window shade rustle, and then the high boy dresser chatter, and then bam there is a crash onto the bed and the lampshade rocks back and forth having suffered the cat brushing by in mid air.  And there she is- announcing, hey I'm here too, when did you go to bed? As she balls up  at my feet declaring that as her turf.

I do hate cats, can't advise ever having one.

Close as I ever came before was to have a wild cat at my front door. It was cold, she was hungry, I made a bed on the porch fed it and got a heating pad for it put it under the blanket, found cardboard box to break the breezes and dampness. An act of temporary kindness only.

I named her Miss Kitty- from Gunsmoke. Turned out ot be a mistake, seems she was Mr. Cat. None the less Mr. Cat remained named Miss kitty.

The cat it stayed for fourteen years. I thought it would never die. Fourteen years that cat demanded bed and board, but never once was  a tender pet, just a wild thing, that occasionally left me a mouse or squirrel, as payment.

So cats? I don't know, for others I have no opinion I guess.

Oh, for a few hours I had a third cat. Cookie had gone out for the first time at my house and disappeared. We looked and looked. My bride, saddened and worried, finally had to go out for a bit  on an errand while I kept an eye out for the cat. And it appeared. It was wary of me, but my magnetism prevailed and it came inside. I fed it, and phoned my new bride with, "Hey I got the cat back inside!" She was happy, ever so happy and thankful. She was until she got home and saw the cat. She said, "That's not my cat!"

Ooops, and saying, "Well okay, but all cats look pretty much alike wasn't yours kinda gray too" wasn't the best tactical move either. I quickly became educated to the fact that was a male Tom cat not a petite tabby girl cat.

Then I had to get my new "friend" the strange cat out of the house. Turned out Cookie was inside all the time, had evidently got past us when we were outside with the door open and then evidently hiding out much of the time after I had let another cat into the house.

That's about all I know about cats. Except that fleas are the reason most apartment management will not allow them. It is very costly to get rid of an apartment full of fleas when the tenant just up and leaves in the night. Used to  cost me about $700 and ten days loss of use of the apartment for rent. plus often there was carpet damage.

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

toxoplasmosis and rabies are the only two serious things you can get from cats, and you can also get them from other places as well.    Most people that have the toxoplasmosis in them can easily fight it off and it doesn't seem to be a problem....   however pregnant women should not be around cats that have not been checked for that.

We have had cats all my life, and some have affected my allergies and some have not..       If you are going to get one and you know someone has been allergic, it's good to get it on loan so to speak so you can return it if it causes a problem.    Most of the time, my allergies came from the cat being inside and outside for their fur picks up a lot of stuff outside and brings it back into the house.

Personally we don't have a cat right now because we are traveling a lot and they are expensive to have someone keep them while gone from home.    but when we do have cats, they are either inside all the  time or outside all the time.....   the only way I can stand the allergies, and I don't pet the outside cats much.

But there isn't a lot better in life than a nice warm kitty on your chest snuggling under your chin while taking those afternoon naps in the recliner....

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Firstly,unless you are pregnant you don't have to worry about toxoplasmosis & from your profile I have no idea if this is even a possibility,lol.....having said that...as far as rabies goes I would not imagine you would be looking for a street cat but going to adopt one from a shelter,all animals are given their vaccines prior to adoption,anything else you may have heard is a myth

There are very simple solutions for people w4ho are allergic to animal dander,some cat produce less dander than others,cats happen to make more than most house pets but there are simple solutions for anyone who is serious about wanting to get a pet....rather than address the allergy,let us address the dander(which triggers the over production of histamines which is the cause of the symptoms)

I would recommend not getting a long hair cat or a double coated(fine undercoat,course outer) but a short  haired breed with a dense coat......Russian Blue,Siberian,Balinese,Devon or Cornish Rex,Bengal,Sphynx ..or similar This of cfourse does not mean they do not have any dander but there is far less...then to completely "allergy proof" your cat you can purchase "Downy Fabric Softener"(original not scented or fancy ones) and pour a cup into a sink with maybe 2 inches of lukewarm water(or a little basin) ....soak the animal with this & gently rinse(not completely)....it removes the dander & will not harm the animal,don't get it in their little eyes please     Do it as often as needed(once a week/once a month)....you'll know when you sneeze,lol     I've worked with a variety of species of animals throughout the years & in many a faciilty & it is a sure fire fix for the "allergic'.....what I've found 7 times out of 10,not in your case I'm sure.....its the best excuse to dispose of unwanted animals.......I've always had animals in my house & they are all "dipped" regularly as I am highly allergic.....I've had many people come in my house & they were just fine until they "saw" one of my cats..."Oh no,I'm allergic!!!"But they didn't have any symptoms until they noticed the animals:24:

If you live with your dad I do hope you would ask his permission & how the rest of the family feels about having a kitty......

The Word of God says

Proverbs 12:10 Whoever is righteous has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel.

Psalm 136:25 He who gives food to all flesh, for his steadfast love endures forever.

Psalm 36:6 Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O Lord.

Psalm 145:9-10 The Lord is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made. All your works shall give thanks to you, O Lord, and all your saints shall bless you!

Genesis 1:24-25And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds—livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so. And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds and the livestock according to their kinds, and everything that creeps on the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Genesis 2:18-19 Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.” Now out of the ground the Lord God had formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them. And whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name.

God Created the creatures for us........He made the earth & everything in it for us to steward & a better, more loyal ,faithful companion you could not ask for even imagine                                                                                                   With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

I would imagine mostly animal lovers would read this Thread,it's not exactly where it should be posted here in the Inner Court so I do hope everyone who replies will Glorify God in this Holy Place......

So while you are here can I ask for you all to say a prayer for my 17yr companion Cheech,he is not well,seriously ill & I am heartbroken,been crying  all day......I know that our Father is ABLE,no matter what the reports say & in spite of his age,like Hezekiah I am pleading for more time,in Jesus Name......more "quality" time

THank you all     With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

On 1/29/2017 at 3:23 PM, kwikphilly said:

I would imagine mostly animal lovers would read this Thread,it's not exactly where it should be posted here in the Inner Court so I do hope everyone who replies will Glorify God in this Holy Place......

So while you are here can I ask for you all to say a prayer for my 17yr companion Cheech,he is not well,seriously ill & I am heartbroken,been crying  all day......I know that our Father is ABLE,no matter what the reports say & in spite of his age,like Hezekiah I am pleading for more time,in Jesus Name......more "quality" time

THank you all     With love-in Christ,Kwik

Praying for you Kwik

God Bless You,

Worthy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,217
  • Content Per Day:  1.23

first thing is you have to have a love for animals that involves a certain amount of responsibility on your part.

Pets can be great companions, can even detect sometimes sickness in a human beings,  . Cats are good mice, rat detectors, and can be a blessing to have around a house.  For sure left unattended,  and especially when they are young, cats can get into mischief, like getting into plants, clawing your furniture. but all this is part of training a pet not to do certain things around the house. A water filled spray bottle is a great way to deter an animal from getting into bad habits. But of course this takes time and care on your part to teach your cats the to- do and not  to do certain behaviors around your home Cats are teachable and trainable to behave a certain way. I don't believe declawing your cat is a good thing to do at all as its the cats best defense and a well trained cat will not use its claws to tear down and destroy your furniture.

Their are play things that you can make of buy for the cat to stretch its claws with.

Like it has been said, depending on many factors, where you live, what type of lifestyle you live, what kind of financial situation you find yourself in, having a pet may or may not be such a good idea.

Any pet needs care. It takes someone who is willing to be responsible for their pet.

If you are young, have a busy lifestyle having a pet, will only limit you, or bring on other worries and concerns  from being able to do certain things like travel, going away for a week-end or extended period of times. 

As much as it is a joy, it is a responsibility -emotionally & financially.  You need to weight the balance for what is most suitable for your lifestyle. And only you really know the answer to that one. There are so many people who should not own animals, because they just don't have it in them to care lovingly and patiently for an animal.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  2

Dont you think that God can protect you from anything when you stay close to Him?

risktaking.. That depends on how you use it, doesnt it.  Again, if you let God, it wont be an issue. But whats wrong with risktaking? As long as you have God it wont lead you in trouble. Even then, you are an adult that have free will to follow God and to calculate risks, even when someone are that way. So, you just dont throw your own mind away either do you. So why risktaking? 

Its your choice wether you let sin get in or not mainly by glide away from God. Again its your own free will and mind.. Not so much the risks. 

Then, who determines when there are risktaking or not?  God and His laws yes. But inside that? Can anyone say? Can anyone limit that for you? Nah, that wouldnt be ok. As long youre close to God..

well it depends how much you spend time with your father doesnt it? Do you still live in the same house? Then maybe limit access for the cat. Pet hoovers are doing a great job minimising hairs. Also cleaning. Some even hoover the cat lol  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  2

Maybe, it could depend on what type of cat youre thinking of, since not all cats fall same amount of hair, in my experience some cats makes others be more allergic than others. Its been in my experience that pure breeds are softer reactions. Dont know why but ive experienced it and others.  But in all circumstances cleaning helps alot and no carpets fully covering rather rugs. Some people cant be near a cat others can have them if they are in other areas, or doesnt come all over often.