IGNORED

What is the difference between Yahweh and Elohim?

nijjhar

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/08/1933

Hi Brethren,

Just thinking what is the difference between Yahweh and Elohim? Yahweh is labelled as demi-urge and what about Elohim? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Why do we have "The LORD" in our bibles rather than Yahweh?

This is a very common question. It all began with a Jewish tradition called the "ineffable name" doctrine. Jews, for various reasons, started to substitute His name with the Hebrew title "Adonai". Adonai is the Hebrew word for "Lord". This information can be easily verified in many Bible dictionaries and various encyclopedias. For instance, the Encyclopedia Britannica states:

Yahweh, the God of the Israelites, his name being revealed to Moses as four Hebrew CONSONANTS (YHWH) CALLED THE TETRAGRAMMATON. AFTER THE EXILE (6TH CENTURY BC), and especially from the 3rd century BC on, Jews ceased to use the name Yahweh for two reasons. As Judaism became a universal religion through its proselytizing in the Greco-Roman world, the more common noun elohim, meaning "god," tended to replace Yahweh to demonstrate the universal sovereignty of Israel's God over all others. At the same time, the divine name was increasingly regarded as too sacred to be uttered; it was thus replaced vocally in the synagogue ritual by the Hebrew word Adonai ("My Lord"), which was translated as Kyrios ("Lord") in the Septuagint, the Greek version of the Old Testament.

We see in the above quote that Jews started to vocally replace the name "Yahweh" with "Adonai" (Lord) for two reasons:

1. It was beginning to be believed that His name was too sacred to be uttered

2. They preferred to simply call Him "Elohim" rather than "Yahweh" to demonstrate to the world that He is the only true Elohim.

While on the surface these reasons may seem honorable, they are very unscriptural. They were and are attempts to improve on Yahweh's already perfect ways. If Yahweh really wanted a substitute, why would He have placed His name there to begin with? Though scripture says to follow Yahweh rather than man, we find that nearly 7,000 times the most important name of all is replaced with a another word that man has chosen. 

This tradition was not practiced by the Messiah or the apostles, but it was adopted by some Christians during the early half of the 2nd Century CE/AD. By the 4th century, this practice was well established and widely practiced. Jerome, a 4th century "Church Father" who authored the Latin Vulgate version, substituted the name "Yahweh" throughout with the Latin word "Dominus" (meaning "Lord"). The tradition of replacing Yahweh's name with "the LORD" continues to this day. Most English translations substitute the name Yahweh with "the LORD" and translations into other languages will also commonly choose a title meaning "Lord" in their own language. More information on this can be found in the preface of many modern bibles.                                                                 http://www.eliyah.com/whythlrd.htm 

I don't totally agree with  that it is not Scriptural because  Jesus taught  us how to pray &  how to address  "Our FATHER",this is because of Him & Him Alone that we are  Gods Family,Reconciled  back to were we were meant to by Gods   Will,His Desire to have a Personal  Relationship with Him   because He First Loved us          With love-in Christ,kwik

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

14 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

I don't totally agree with  that it is not Scriptural because  Jesus taught  us how to pray &  how to address  "Our FATHER",this is because of Him & Him Alone that we are  Gods Family,Reconciled  back to were we were meant to by Gods   Will,His Desire to have a Personal  Relationship with Him   because He First Loved us          With love-in Christ,kwik

I see what you are saying, but the reference is to include or inheritance through Jesus Christ for the lord God to now be our father. But to refer to him by his name he is Yahweh, as he said his name is for eternity. 

Example: Father God is how we speak with him.

if some one asks whom do you pray too, the Answer is my Father in heaven his name is Yahweh. 

Be blessed.

15 hours ago, nijjhar said:

Hi Brethren,

Just thinking what is the difference between Yahweh and Elohim? Yahweh is labelled as demi-urge and what about Elohim? 

for when man found god they had to have ways to describe him, but with many things they gave him different names. Elohim is a reference to mighty God as in the Hebrew reference to him as Adonai Elohim (Lord Almighty.)

Yahweh is his actual name, as he told Moses in exodus 3 that is his eternal name. 

But to refer to him by his name he is Yahweh, as he said his name is for eternity.                             WholeyGodsChild

Yahweh is his actual name, as he told Moses in exodus 3 that is his eternal name.                           WholeyGodsChild

That is not what God said

Moses at the Burning Bush

Exodus 3:13Then Moses said to God, "Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you.' Now they may say to me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?" 14God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.'" 15God, furthermore, said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations.…

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

21 hours ago, nijjhar said:

Yahweh is labelled as demi-urge and what about Elohim? 

That is simply a slander against the Lord God Almighty.  There is no such thing as a demiurge.  

There is no "difference" between Yahweh and Elohim. Yahweh (translated as LORD) and Elohim (translated as God) are one and the same.  

The reason LORD (small capitials) was used is because the Jews had such a great reverence for the name of God that they would not even use it, and instead simply called Him "ha Shem" (the Name).

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

A demiurge, is as I understand it, it a creative being. If that definition is accurate, then there is a demiurge. However, there is not a class of demiurges, there is only one Creator, the God of the Bible. Yahweh, Elohim, yes THE Creator. Agent of God in the Creation, is the Word, the Son of God, God the Son - the pre-incarnate Jesus, the Savior of all who believe, and judge of those who do not.

Hey All

I believe the term "demiurge " originated with the gnostics,if memory serves me....."lower" than the Sovereign God Almighty /Creator of the universe.....I ,think this figure was in control of the physical world,,,blasphemous imo to call God the Father,God the Son or God the Holy Spirit by any other Name opther than what is Written in Gods Word

10 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

That is not what God said

My mistake it is Exodus 6:3 he tells Moses that his eternal name is Yahweh. 

Thank you for the corrections.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 1/29/2017 at 1:59 PM, nijjhar said:

Just thinking what is the difference between Yahweh and Elohim....
Yahweh is labelled as demi-urge and what about Elohim....

:sherlock:

Good News

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Bad News

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:35-36

:emot-heartbeat:

Pray For The Souls Of The Hindu

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. John 3:17-21