JoeCooper

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hey. Friendly request here. I am thinking I might be an Atheist. I would love for some people on this page to give me some good reasons to believe in God. This is a serious request I am open to hearing anything anyone would like to say, and ask them questions about it. If anyone would like to respond, please do so. Thanks.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Joe

Welcome to Worthy,very nice to meet you,the first thing that came to my mind is to thank God for leading you here because HE sure believes in YOU and that He wants to talk with you through His children.....because He Loves YOU

Before we start to talk about "reasons"...may I ask why you think you might be an atheist & why you WANT to have a reason to believe?

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

14 hours ago, JoeCooper said:

Hey. Friendly request here. I am thinking I might be an Atheist. I would love for some people on this page to give me some good reasons to believe in God. This is a serious request I am open to hearing anything anyone would like to say, and ask them questions about it. If anyone would like to respond, please do so. Thanks.

You have two choices in life. You can believe in man's limited reason and go to hell for eternity or you can accept God's revelation in the Bible and ask Him into your life to be your Lord and Savior and go to heaven for eternity.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Kwik,  

I think I might be an atheist because I don't see any good evidence that god actually exists.  I want to believe things that are true, generally, and so if Christianity is true, I want to believe it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

First let me say nature itself sings of God, look how complex a tree is or even gravity and not to mention the complexity of the human body, do you really think that these things just happened somehow or does it make more sence to have a creator.  Look inside yourself and if you diligently search you will hear God.  God is very real and I am sure that different things that have happened in your life or not happened again can you see a purpose?  I pray you will find God

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Hi Joe, welcome to Worthy!

I am a former atheist myself, was one until at the end of a ten year plus period of time where I sought to actively disprove theism, I found that the more I tried to bolster my belief in things like evolution, the weaker my case was becoming. That was very uncomfortable to realize that the "facts" seemed so rational to me at the time, were not as well founded in objective science, as I had supposed.

It finally came to a head, when I realized, that I could not maintain my intellectual integrity and remain an Atheist. I learned that at least to my ability to discover truth and support it with actual eveidence, Atheism just was not going to cut it for me any longer. This did not make me a believer in God, and certainly not a Christian, but I was a man who had no firm belief about where everything came from.

Not being willing to admit that there was a God, or that he,she/it/them was knowable or discoverable, I suppose that made me an agnostic.

It is not at all practical, to list reason for belief here in a thread, the topic is quite extensive, and may not address specific needs and questions you might have.

I should point out, that not all Christians believe in any particular age of the Earth, version of evolution or lack thereof, becuase the Bible is not an exhaustive scientific text, and is not intended to be.

It's main message, is to inform people that there is a God, and that we as people, separate ourselves from Him, by our sins, and all of us, every single one of us, has sinned. The Bible, also introduces us to the remedy for this situation, and that is what it, and Christians are primarily about. Jesus is the solution to this problem.

As the Bible itself says:

For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

That described me. The whole Gospel message just seemed foolish, and apart from God revealing that to a person, it remains foolish. It is easy to understand, why a person does not accept it, and wants evidence for "God claims".

If you want to know some things to consider, you could go to sites that have a lot of information.

http://www.reasons.org is one such place, for those who who want to see how science points to a creator. Personally, I do not agree with their position, the believe that the creation is very, very old etc. I post the link because for some, it is useful to see how science does not lead to Atheism, which is useful itself.

I should also point out Joe, that not everything I write here, is necessarily directed at you, as I know many will read this post in the future.

As a person who has spent many years now in the category of Atheist, then Agnostic, then Theist, and finally Christian, I understand a lot of the thoughts and frameworks of these world views.

What I am offering you, specifically, is an invitation to come into our chat section, and have a conversation directly, if you are seriously curious, I put that qualifyer there, because we do get people who say they are open to hearing evidence etc, but often turn out to be trolls, just here to ridicule our faith, or try to talk others out of their faith, or just to be argumentative. I have no time for such things.

On the other hand, to people who are skeptics and truly open to civil dialogue, I am more than happy to discuss things with such people. If you want to take me up on that offer, I am typically in our chat room between 9 P.M. and Midnight, Pacific time. 

Meanwhile, I hope you discover what you want to know.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, JoeCooper said:

G-Day Joe,

God bless mate! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

2 hours ago, JoeCooper said:

Kwik,  

I think I might be an atheist because I don't see any good evidence that god actually exists.  I want to believe things that are true, generally, and so if Christianity is true, I want to believe it.

Hi Joe and welcome to Worthy.  I'm glad you were led here.  I don't believe you got here by accident.

Look around, all of this universe and everything in it does as someone said sings God.  Planets that are kept in their places, the seasons, oceans, sunsets,  Do you realize if we were only a couple miles closer to the sun we would burn up, and just a couple miles further away we would freeze to death?  Things like that that seem so innocent yet are so perfect.

God spoke all this into existence in just six days.  He knew you before you were created.  He created you in His image.  He knows you, what your thoughts are, what you have done and what you are going to do, yet He loves with a perfect love, no strings attached.  

He offers eternity to you with Him in Heaven, a place so wonderful you cannot even beging to imagine.  It's yours, freely for simply turning your life over to Him.  He will take nothing away from you except your sin and give you so much more.  

He left everything in Heaven for you and died on a cross, then rose again three days later.  What perfect love.

I'm so glad your here.  We also have a chat room in which you can come in and visit.  Speak to us one on one with your questions.  You will be more then welcome.

Blessings, RustyAngeL

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

22 hours ago, JoeCooper said:

I would love for some people on this page to give me some good reasons to believe in God.

The best reason would be in order to be honest with yourself. The Law of Cause and Effect demands that there be a Creator behind Creation, just as there must be a sculptor behind a sculpture.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  09/24/1987

23 hours ago, JoeCooper said:

Welcome to Worthy Joe!

I'm going to have to go with what Omegaman said in regards to how extensive this topic is. I was agnostic for a long while and it took years of studying in my spare time, listening to debates, arguments for the existence of God, objections, responses, etc to even come to the conclusion, "Yes, I think the existence of God might actually be more plausible than his nonexistence." Then it took awhile longer for me to come back to Christian theism and finally give my life to Christ. And of course, it requires an open heart and mind which it sounds like you already have or you wouldn't be here asking. I'm not saying it will take you years to dismantle all this information. I'm just saying, it's not something one person in one conversation can convey. reasons.org like Omegaman mentioned is really good. So is reasonablefaith.org. You'll find a lot of resources there. Dr. Craig definitely played a significant role in convincing that there was good reason to believe that God exists.