Why didn't Jesus stop her

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Many years ago my old Christian mentor told me this story of a young woman who she brought to Jesus. This woman had serious difficulty with dealing with her past, and struggled with accepting she was forgiven. 

However my mentor believed this was the result of being a babe in Christ, and kept encouraging her to realize she was a new creation.

But something in this young believers mind took a turn for the worse, she just believed that Jesus wouldn't forgive her until she suffered like him.

So she walked into her kitchen to a pot of boiling water on the stove, and held her hand under until it burnt.

To this day my old mentor didn't understand why she did that.

And, neither do I.

Do you?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Some churches teach that you have to get saved again each time you sin.  My friend quit going to that church when they were told that they needed to be saved if they hadn't attended mid week service!.  Some denominations heap guilt on people like the pharasees did.  

Such self punishment is more common in Catholic churches in other nations.  But you are right that some people punish themselves.  Some cut themselves or otherwise hurt themselves, set themselves on fire etc.  But God does heal them mentally when they truly surrender their lives to Christ and receive His unconditional love demonstrated by Christians.  We serve an amazing God.   

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,069
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

9 hours ago, paradoxdown said:

Many years ago my old Christian mentor told me this story of a young woman who she brought to Jesus. This woman had serious difficulty with dealing with her past, and struggled with accepting she was forgiven. 

However my mentor believed this was the result of being a babe in Christ, and kept encouraging her to realize she was a new creation.

But something in this young believers mind took a turn for the worse, she just believed that Jesus wouldn't forgive her until she suffered like him.

So she walked into her kitchen to a pot of boiling water on the stove, and held her hand under until it burnt.

To this day my old mentor didn't understand why she did that.

And, neither do I.

Do you?

yes people desperately want physical assurance of spiritual reality. They seek more than the Word of God...

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Because we have free will..............I would suggest a different "mentor"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, enoob57 said:

yes people desperately want physical assurance of spiritual reality. They seek more than the Word of God...

Yes :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

1. Satan

2. Unbelief

3. Lack of faith

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Often times God does not interfere with our decisions.  Often times He does not fix the aftermath of what we do.  He made us to have free will. 

As far as why she did it you may get many different answers but it would be speculation.  My assumption is that she wanted attention from God but went about it the wrong way. 

A lot of people struggle with being forgiven.  My mentor told me a story of when He was a babe in Christ.  He used to go every sunday to altar call and get saved again and again.  He said one sunday God spoke to him.  said whats are you doing?  I already saved you.  he told me he didnt go to altar call anymore.   Cletus

LOL,I used to do the same................it happens with immaturity