Compulsory Love

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

As a Christian is it compulsory for you to love other's, or do you get to choose who you love or not?

If it is a commandment to love everyone, do you actually love everyone?

Is this something that is even achievable, not to say that you'd naturally hate people. But isn't the primary feeling you have towards other people neutral.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings paradoxdown

Great question.....No,we don't get to choose,once we start doing that it is a sure sign,a red flag,that we are not walking in spirit & in Truth & leaning on  the carnal heart & mind     If we keep our eyes on Jesus,pray without ceasing & stay in Relationship with Him,we access the Heart & Mind of Jesus......then His LOVE pour6s out of us...........that LOVE that only HE can give through us by Power of Holy Spirit,WHO INDWELLS

In the flesh I can easily find many who are quite difficult to love,or even like!!!!When this happens I look to Jesus & I see an eternity of hell & torment and suddenly I am grieved,my Spirit is grieved,I can't help but LOVE.....do the worst of the worst of the worst of hideous atrocities warrant ETERNAL punishment...a serial killer that murdered tons of people for 50 years....compared to ETERNITY,maybe a 1000 yrs of punishment but ETERNITY?    That keeps my judgemental mind of flesh out of the WAy of HIS Loving ,Compassionate,Forgiving WAY                                                   With love-in Christ,Kwik

Guest shiloh357
On 2/2/2017 at 1:30 AM, paradoxdown said:

As a Christian is it compulsory for you to love other's, or do you get to choose who you love or not?

If it is a commandment to love everyone, do you actually love everyone?

Is this something that is even achievable, not to say that you'd naturally hate people. But isn't the primary feeling you have towards other people neutral.

Your questions assumes love as an emotion.  But, in the Bible, love isn't an emotion.  Love is an action. In Scripture love is expressed in showing kindness to your enemy, even if emotionally, you don't like the person.   The command to love your enemy is NOT a commandment to like your enemy.   God does not expect to force ourselves to feel what we don't, or in some cases, should not feel.

Atheists will mock and say derogatory about Jesus and Christians.  According to Scripture, my response to that isn't to mock Atheists or Atheism.   My response should be that if that same Atheist got hurt in a car accident, or experienced some other hardship,  I am to offer aid (to the extent it is in my power to do so).   '

Loving my enemy doesn't make me a doormat and someone he can walk all over, but simply a means by which I can show him that his inherent problems with the Christian faith stem from his own self and his fundamentally flawed perceptions about the claims of the Bible.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Your questions assumes love as an emotion.  But, in the Bible, love isn't an emotion.  Love is an action. In Scripture love is expressed in showing kindness to your enemy, even if emotionally, you don't like the person.   The command to love your enemy is NOT a commandment to like your enemy.   God does not expect to force ourselves to feel what we don't, or in some cases, should not feel.                                       Shiloh

Well said,Shiloh & I do agree whole heartedly.....with Jesus Abiding in me I find it is easy to LOVE,it is by His Power(Holy Spirit) that His Love prompts my ACTION......which is Love....   Now "like",lol-thats an entirely new Topic   I too believe that "like" is purely an emotion........Another time,another Thread,huh?

Glory to God, Praise Jesus!      Kwik

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 2/5/2017 at 2:55 PM, kwikphilly said:

Well said,Shiloh & I do agree whole heartedly.....with Jesus Abiding in me I find it is easy to LOVE,it is by His Power(Holy Spirit) that His Love prompts my ACTION......which is Love....   Now "like",lol-thats an entirely new Topic   I too believe that "like" is purely an emotion........Another time,another Thread,huh?

Glory to God, Praise Jesus!      Kwik

I agree love is always an action, it is what we do as believers just as forgiveness is.