Does GOD want us to eat?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

This may sound like a stupid question at first, but i guess my question is more "to what extent?" i am aware that gluttony is a sin, but should we always try to scrape by on the bare minimum, or should we take pleasure in it sometimes?

Yes, God wants us to eat. Otherwise, we would die.

God has supplied the earth with nutritious food. We are not to be gluttons, but not at a near starvation level either. A healthy diet of natural foods at the correct calorie amount for ones age and height should do the trick. There is no need to be hungry or to eat ourselves into a coma.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

1 hour ago, Praise2God4ever said:

This may sound like a stupid question at first, but i guess my question is more "to what extent?" i am aware that gluttony is a sin, but should we always try to scrape by on the bare minimum, or should we take pleasure in it sometimes?

We are designed to enjoy our food and take pleasure in eating it. It is not a sin. Just give thanks to God for it.

I don't think gluttony is mentioned in the Bible, at least not in that context, but probably in the context of laziness and  self-indulgence,and mentioned in connection with drunkardness. I believe it is Catholic doctrine that has created gluttony as one of the seven deadly sins.

I also think that gluttony may  refer to obsession with one type of food at the neglect of others, in other words an imbalance in diet. Variety is important. Those who eat too much of thing and not another are abusing their bodies.

Finally I would like to add a saying of the Amish:

"Take as much as you like. Eat all of it."

In other words, 'waste not, want not.' Some people need more food than others, but don't let the greed of your eyes be bigger than your belly can hold. Don't stuff your face just for the sake of it, but think of others and their nutritional needs too.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

We should eat slowly, enjoying the aroma, the flavor and the texture of our food with thanksgiving.  We should eat a variety of fruit, vegetables, whole grain and a lean protein and the process should take at least 20 minutes.  By that time our sense of fullness should set in and our brains should signal that we have had enough.  Foods that contain healthy fat should be included like olives, avocado, nuts and seeds but in small amounts.  (I can pig out on cashews.)   

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, Praise2God4ever said:

God provides for us. He wants us to take pleasure in what he provides for us. God also wants us to have healthy appetites. Our health is God's concern and sometimes food can be an addiction. Christians seem to ignore the fact that gluttony is a sin. They want to point their fingers at those who drink alcohol or those who smoke. But gluttony is right up there with other addictions. We need to eat a healthy diet with healthy portions. But sometimes we can splurge. I like to do that sometimes as well :)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

If you are not overweight, then you are not eating too much on a regular basis.

It's still possible to overeat on occasions, but the question to ask then is "did I have more than my fair share?" 

25 minutes ago, Deborah_ said:

If you are not overweight, then you are not eating too much on a regular basis.

It's still possible to overeat on occasions, but the question to ask then is "did I have more than my fair share?" 

There are other reasons for a person being over weight other than over eating. Reasons that are beyond the person's control. Making sure that everyone else gets their fair share or not hoarding food is important.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

24 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

There are other reasons for a person being over weight other than over eating. Reasons that are beyond the person's control. Making sure that everyone else gets their fair share or not hoarding food is important.

It's awkward, perhaps true, whether things are really outside a person's control, unless they are minors.

Look at pictures of woodstock from decades ago.

Over 50,000 people more or less,  and not one overweight.

Within 2 or 3 decades,  massive changes. (pun intended).

The reasons, or causes,  were within man's control. 

Now, today, for lack of knowledge (personally,of this),  it may seem outside man's control.

Clinics everywhere (figuratively),  have wonderful success (maintaining or achieving health again) , as

do individuals, families, communities,  in some areas. (where the knowledge is preserved)

1 hour ago, simplejeff said:

It's awkward, perhaps true, whether things are really outside a person's control, unless they are minors.

Look at pictures of woodstock from decades ago.

Over 50,000 people more or less,  and not one overweight.

Within 2 or 3 decades,  massive changes. (pun intended).

The reasons, or causes,  were within man's control. 

Now, today, for lack of knowledge (personally,of this),  it may seem outside man's control.

Clinics everywhere (figuratively),  have wonderful success (maintaining or achieving health again) , as

do individuals, families, communities,  in some areas. (where the knowledge is preserved)

Being over weight has a lot to do with a person's genes. Also their are illnesses and medications that put weight on a person that is out of their control. People who are on illegal drugs are often thin. There may also be psychological reasons that a person eats too much. Depression, anxiety and then there are those who binge such as in bulimia.