• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  337
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, White Rabbitt said:

They don't like him because he's rich, good looking, and always smiles because he happy being rich and good looking.

It really irritates a lot of people.

Oh yeah!

What's his address??

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

Did you see my link where Joel won't preach on hell? I just don't care for that kind of handling of God's Word.

This is interesting.

The RCC won't preach on hell.  Priests tell me there are several reasons: (I'm not Catholic)

1.  It turns people away and they won't seek forgiveness from both the church and God.

2. They're not sure hell exists.  Get this:

A.  Hell could be a TEMPORARY place.

B.  Hell may not exist and the L of F is only for fallen angels and their leader.

C. Some believe in Annihilation. 

If you read the CCC it'll tell you hell exists.  But within the higher ups, some doubt exists.

SO...

Joel is doing the same thing.

The first thing a preacher has to do is preach the GOOD NEWS.  The Good News is that Jesus saves us.

THEN, somewhere in there, hell should be taught too since Jesus spoke of it.  Do you now for sure he never mentions it?

Fran

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

5 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Is that why you like him?

I guess we have a lot in common.

I'm rich and good looking too.

And I love Jesus and tell people so too.

Edited by White Rabbitt

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Joel reminds me a lot of Norman Vincent Peale who preached The Power of Positive Thinking, a cult.  His goal is to help you feel good about yourself, which is why he is always positive and smiling.  He will not say an atheist will not go to heaven, or a Muslim.  His claim is that there are many ways to Jesus, which they are as we all come from different backgrounds, yet, if someone dies without being saved, they are lost.  Joel will not tell people that their sinful nature will keep them from God unless you repent and accept Jesus.  His claim is that he will not judge the salvation of others, yet he does not preach against sin, just how to feel good about yourself.  Left by ourselves, without Christ, do you think we will be with Him after death?

6 minutes ago, White Rabbitt said:

They don't like him because he's rich, good looking, and always smiles because he happy being rich and good looking.

It really irritates a lot of people.

Carman is rich, good looking and always smiles - well, not always.

Do people also hate him?

One of the commandments tells us not to covet.  Being jealous of anything is equivalent to coveting.

If Joel has such a large church, he must be doing something right.  At least he's getting them into church where they could hear about God.

The question becomes:  Does this change their life in any way?  usually people who go to church are not perfect but they try harder than those who don't go.  

This is a general statement - no telegrams please.

Fran

4 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Joel reminds me a lot of Norman Vincent Peale who preached The Power of Positive Thinking, a cult.  His goal is to help you feel good about yourself, which is why he is always positive and smiling.  He will not say an atheist will not go to heaven, or a Muslim.  His claim is that there are many ways to Jesus, which they are as we all come from different backgrounds, yet, if someone dies without being saved, they are lost.  Joel will not tell people that their sinful nature will keep them from God unless you repent and accept Jesus.  His claim is that he will not judge the salvation of others, yet he does not preach against sin, just how to feel good about yourself.  Left by ourselves, without Christ, do you think we will be with Him after death?

Here is Joel Osteen's statement of faith.

You be the judge.

https://www.joelosteen.com/Pages/WhatWeBelieve.aspx

9 minutes ago, OneLight said:

The Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses preach Jesus, just not the Jesus of scripture.   Despite what anyone tells you pro/com on Joel, take the time to listen to his teachings and place what he teaches beside scripture as the Bereans taught us to do, seeing for yourself what is true and what is not.

I know Joel, I've listened to him OneLight.

Let's see.  He's slightly on the Word of Faith side, but not totally.  He likes to be positive and likes preaching on trusting in Jesus for everything and he makes it sound like you'll get anything you want from Him (Jesus).

He likes to tell stories of this one and that one and how things worked out for them.  His wife must have gone to all the same classes he went to.  

I know that he did not feel up to the job when his father passed away, but he seems to have done really well.

So, here's what I think:

I think different people need different types of preaching.

I read the O.P. and I happen to agree with it.  That the original church is the true church.

But it can't be all condemnation.  It really turns a lot of people off.  It's the meat.  Not everyone can take the meat.

So I'd have to hear what SPECIFICALLY he does that is so detestable.

Fran

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Yes, he says most people are beaten down every day without him making it worse.

So he preaches to lift you up instead.

I am in total agreement with that.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Just now, White Rabbitt said:

You be the judge.

Statements of Faith can look good, but show me where scripture tells us we will know them by their statement of faith!   Scripture tells us we will know them by their fruit.  Joel's fruit is not convincing he is a true follower of Jesus, but a very good prosperity preacher as he has prospered by ignoring sin.

4 minutes ago, White Rabbitt said:

You be the judge.

Some hate to go to links, incl me:

Here:

We Believe…

the entire Bible is inspired by God, without error and the authority on which we base our faith, conduct and doctrine.

in one God who exists in three distinct persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God who came to this earth as Savior of the world.

Jesus died on the cross and shed His blood for our sins. We believe that salvation is found by placing our faith in what Jesus did for us on the cross. We believe Jesus rose from the dead and is coming again.

water baptism is a symbol of the cleansing power of the blood of Christ and a testimony to our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

in the regular taking of Communion as an act of remembering what the Lord Jesus did for us on the cross.

every believer should be in a growing relationship with Jesus by obeying God’s Word, yielding to the Holy Spirit and by being conformed to the image of Christ.

as children of God, we are overcomers and more than conquerors and God intends for each of us to experience the abundant life He has in store for us.