FiremanSmitty

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Can anyone tell me of the opinion of church staff drinking alcohol and posting it on Facebook? Is this acceptable? I know drinking alcohol is not sin, but I would just like to hear some fellow believers opinions on this. Thanks All! 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  9,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  06/12/1974

Hello.im no pro on this...but i have mostly thought that lite drink or wine(not to much),is ok because of this verse...Pro 20:1  Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Basically, there is no Bible prohibition, to drink alcohol, assuming there is no special vow, like the Nazarites took. There is however, a instruction not to get drunk.

Not all Christians however, see this as the case, some think drinking is a sin. To be certain not to create any confusion or stumbling, for those who may not have a clear conscience about it, a loving and spiritually mature Christian, would not post that they are drinkers, especially those in positions of leadership.

That would be my take on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, FiremanSmitty said:

Can anyone tell me of the opinion of church staff drinking alcohol and posting it on Facebook? Is this acceptable? I know drinking alcohol is not sin, but I would just like to hear some fellow believers opinions on this. Thanks All! 

I do not think it is wrong for a Church member to say they had a drink.For them to say they got drunk would be inappropriate. That is going over the boundary.

Thank You ! I just don't think it helps those that struggle , like me. I thought I was wrong to have a strong opinion about it .

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  09/24/1987

Was he/she at a bar or was it like a picture of them with a small glass of wine with his/her dinner?  I suppose it's a matter of opinion and so pretty subjective. However, context makes a difference. 

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

I do not think it is wrong for a Church member to say they had a drink.For them to say they got drunk would be inappropriate. That is going over the boundary.

That's not the question I had posted, of course it's not wrong, I meant for church staff and leadership out and posting drinking on facebook

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

16 minutes ago, FiremanSmitty said:

That's not the question I had posted, of course it's not wrong, I meant for church staff and leadership out and posting drinking on facebook

This was your question:

Can anyone tell me of the opinion of church staff drinking alcohol and posting it on Facebook?

I thought I answered your question :noidea:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

58 minutes ago, FiremanSmitty said:

Thank You ! I just don't think it helps those that struggle , like me. I thought I was wrong to have a strong opinion about it .

personally- even if there is no specific Biblical injunction against have a moderate drink ---I think for any one in any kind of leadership position is a church to drink and post it on facebook is amazingly stupid and selfish on their part-- church leaders should have the wisdom to know that some people struggle with drinking and some are just spiritually adverse to it.  My opinion is the leaders that would do that- should not be church leaders--- regular  members have less liability but should still recognize they could be seriously harming others~~~~~~ I know some one will mention Christian liberty-- but the liberty is not to do what you want, but the liberty to avoid doing things that would hurt others--- Smitty----- no problem with your strong opinion--- personally- I would start to look for another church

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,867
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Just in-and-of-itself, no, I wouldn't call it a sin. A lot of people struggle with obesity, too, but I doubt we'd be asking if posting a picture of the cheeseburger they're eating is a sin because of people struggling with that problem. Many struggle with greed; should a pastor always make sure his car is at least 10 years old or something, lest a member who has less see his vehicle in the parking lot and feel jealous?

I think it could be a sin, depending on the context, what's happening in the photos, etc. But just as a rule, no, I don't think you can call it a sin.