FiremanSmitty

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Basically, there is no Bible prohibition, to drink alcohol, assuming there is no special vow, like the Nazarites took. There is however, a instruction not to get drunk.

Not all Christians however, see this as the case, some think drinking is a sin. To be certain not to create any confusion or stumbling, for those who may not have a clear conscience about it, a loving and spiritually mature Christian, would not post that they are drinkers, especially those in positions of leadership.

That would be my take on it.                                                                   Omegaman

Its just like Omegaman said and  Gods Word says so too!!!

1 Thessalonians 5:22King James Version (KJV)

22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.     1 Thess 5:22

Welcome to Worthy FiremanSmitty                                         With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, woundeddog said:

I think for any one in any kind of leadership position is a church to drink and post it on facebook is amazingly stupid and selfish on their part-- church leaders should have the wisdom to know that some people struggle with drinking and some are just spiritually adverse to it.  My opinion is the leaders that would do that- should not be church leaders--- regular  members have less liability

"Church" is the body of Christ, "regular members" are still the body of Christ, the same as the leaders. Christ is the head of it all, followers of Christ is just that. But... and that is a big one, we're still stuck in this sinful body until Christ return. Our souls have already been redeemed... just waiting on the body.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

11 minutes ago, 7thseal said:

"Church" is the body of Christ, "regular members" are still the body of Christ, the same as the leaders. Christ is the head of it all, followers of Christ is just that. But... and that is a big one, we're still stuck in this sinful body until Christ return. Our souls have already been redeemed... just waiting on the body.

Leaders- have a greater responsibility to behave in a godly manner- they are given authority, but with that authority comes the caveat that they will be held to a higher standard than the average believers that has not been called to be a leader

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I believe it was wrong for them to post it on fbook not taking in consideration how that could of possibly stunted other christians spiritual growth. ( especially christians who may struggle with alcoholism)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

On 2/4/2017 at 10:19 PM, FiremanSmitty said:

That's not the question I had posted, of course it's not wrong, I meant for church staff and leadership out and posting drinking on facebook

This is clearly unacceptable, and these people need to be held accountable for making a public display of their foolishness, and bringing shame to Christ. Ideally Christians should not even be using Facebook, since it is generally self-indulgence.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  7

23 hours ago, BK1110 said:

Just in-and-of-itself, no, I wouldn't call it a sin. A lot of people struggle with obesity, too, but I doubt we'd be asking if posting a picture of the cheeseburger they're eating is a sin because of people struggling with that problem. Many struggle with greed; should a pastor always make sure his car is at least 10 years old or something, lest a member who has less see his vehicle in the parking lot and feel jealous?

I think it could be a sin, depending on the context, what's happening in the photos, etc. But just as a rule, no, I don't think you can call it a sin.

A cheeseburger isn't a mind altering substance that can destroy a life in a week's time

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  7

23 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Welcome to Worthy FiremanSmitty                                         With love-in Christ,Kwik

Thanks Kwik! 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

While the Bible has much to say on alcohol, much of it negative, I think the point here is more "avoiding the appearance of evil". Sure, we all have constitutional free speech rights (to include the right to be stupid). But the Bible says "we were bought with a price"...and it cost Jesus His life. So we really don't even belong to ourselves, having become like Paul, a bondservant to Jesus Christ. I think that taking a video of yourself drinking and posting it in a public forum is the appearance of evil because Paul did specifically call us to be separate from the world. If we look exactly like the world, why should they change?

Those who have to "gain self esteem" by getting lots of people to "like them" on social media, have a very basic deficiency because they deny the very salvation Jesus purchased for them on the cross. Come on, John 3:16 clearly states, "that God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son." If God values each one of us enough to sacrifice His own Son, it is sin bordering on heresy for us to value ourselves any less. God did not send His Son to condemn the world but to save it from eternal death and hell. No matter what our circumstances, He loves us and places great value upon us. Who else in this world places ANY value on us? Whoever you can name, I can prove God loves you more than that.

So, no, I don't agree that this is appropriate.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 2/5/2017 at 1:42 PM, kwikphilly said:

I agree with my sister and brother.

As believers we are and should be held to higher standards in our lives.  

No the Bible does not say we can't drink, but to drink and post it on such a place as Facebook I find it distasteful at best.  The Bible says we are in the world not of it.  Doing this makes us look like we are part of the world.

Blessings, RustyAngel

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings FiremanSmitty

Well there ya have it!! The Body of Christ is with like mind & judgement,Praise Jesus!                                   With love-in Christ<Kwik