IGNORED

Would reading the Bible regularly be a "work"?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

As a christian, i believe reading the bible regularly is a beneficial thing, but sometimes i feel like i'm sinning if i'm not reading it enough times a day. is it necessary to read the bible if you are still doing other "christian stuff"?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Reading the bible is getting to know God better.  The closer we are to Him, the more we seek to know Him better.  AS a Christian, we have His Spirit in us, guiding us in this life.  If He is urging you to read more, then do so.  We are instructed not to grieve the Holy Spirit.  Saying this, one good act does not excuse the absence of another.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

55 minutes ago, Praise2God4ever said:

As a christian, i believe reading the bible regularly is a beneficial thing, but sometimes i feel like i'm sinning if i'm not reading it enough times a day. is it necessary to read the bible if you are still doing other "christian stuff"?

I just read my Bible once a day. You are not sinning if you miss reading your Bible every single day.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Something we must consider is the give to get mentality... We know God says this is the practice of those who walk in darkness

Matthew 5:43 (NKJV)
[43] “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ [44] “But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, [45] “that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. [46] “For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? [47] “And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? [48] “Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

The whole reason we read and study and memorize Scripture is because it is the only thing here in this world that can produce this

2 Timothy 3:15 (NKJV)

[15] and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. [16] All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, [17] that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

The question really should be asked why would you not?  Love, Steven

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I only read the Bible as much as I want to.  The problem is, I can't get enough of it.  By the Bible I get to feast on God's words.  He reveals Himself to me, but He also reveals myself to me.  That part always falls short, but then He reminds me of how much He loves me and that this is the goal to look more like Jesus.  Until I see my imperfections I can't see how perfect God is and vice versa.  If it weren't for my imperfections I would not know His grace and tenderness; only such love would give His life for mine.  

When I don't feast on His words I get super hungry and thirsty.  I start to shrivel up spiritually and the flesh starts to take over.  His words are the source of life, the vehicle of the Holy Spirit to work in me so the rivers of living water can flow from me.  By it He fills my heart with thanksgiving and praise for all He is and all He has done.  And He inhabits our praises.  It is such a privilege and joy to share with others the goodness of our God.  

So while it is good discipline to read the Bible daily, never let this work become a source of pride.  If it becomes drudgery something is wrong.  It should be the joy of your life to meet with God in His word.  

I don't consider reading the Bible to be a work. Works are things like feeding the poor, donating to charity, sharing the gospel etc.

Reading the Bible is for learning and helping one to stay in right relationship. I don't think there is a set amount of time required for the two.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

There's no set time you have to read the Bible, or how much you have to read it. As a Christian, it is strongly recommended that you make time to read as often as possible, since the Bible is basically our roadmap to a good relationship with God. But, if for some reason you can't read on a certain day because you're very busy, you're not going to be damned to hell for that. Now, if you have time but you choose to do other things instead, that might imply that you are putting other things above God, and that'd be a problem.

I don't think reading the Bible is considered a work like helping the poor or helping a lady cross the street. It is very beneficial to our souls to read out of God's refreshing word daily, but it's not the same kind of work as mentioned.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

On 2/5/2017 at 3:06 PM, Praise2God4ever said:

if you've read it 40 or 50 times it might be ok not to read it much....   but you do need to be able to explain it to others.

Personally I'd rather listen to it.

• Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.45
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

Dear brotherPraise2God4ever,

Grace and mercy and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Meditating on Holy Scripture should never be seen as work. On the contrary, meditation on Holy Scripture should be regarded as something pleasurable.

·        “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.”  (Psalm 1:1,2).

There is nothing that exempts us from meditating on Holy Scripture. Even because, the Eternal abhors the sacrifice of fools:

·        “Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil. When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed.” (Ecclesiastes 5:1,4).

In other words, it is useless to do many things to try to please the Eternal, without knowing His will.

·        “Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth O For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.” (Hosea 6:3,6);

·        “And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.” (1 Samuel 15:22);

·        “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 7:21).

Even our prayers will only be effective if we pray according to the will of the eternal:

·        “And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:” (1 John 5:14).

·        “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.” (John 15: 7).

·        “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.” (John 14.21,23).

Not to mention that we have to be prepared to respond to everyone who asks for the reason for our faith and hope:

·        “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:” (1 Peter 3:15).

·        “Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.” (Colossians 4:5).

We have to handle the word of truth well to convince the contradicts:

·        “Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.” (Titus 1.9)

·        “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15);

As you see, nothing replaces meditation in the Holy Scripture.

14 hours ago, Brittany said:

But, if for some reason you can't read on a certain day because you're very busy, you're not going to be damned to hell for that.

As for what you said, sister Brittany, I'm sorry, but I do not agree. After all, we must give the Eternal what we have the best, as well as our first fruits. In other words, we should pray and meditate on the Holy Scripture first, before we do anything. Always the most important has to come first.

May Jesus help us to see all the beauty, holiness and pleasure in the reading of the Holy Scripture.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

3 hours ago, Leonardo Von said:

As for what you said, sister Brittany, I'm sorry, but I do not agree.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I do believe that we should give God our time, and make Him first in our lives. But can you give me a single Bible verse that supports that people who do not read daily will go to hell?