IGNORED

Would reading the Bible regularly be a "work"?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 2/11/2017 at 1:29 PM, Brittany said:

But can you give me a single Bible verse that supports that people who do not read daily will go to hell?

Dear sister Brittany,

Grace and mercy and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Here are some instructions inviting us to pray and meditate on the Holy Scripture without ceasing:

·            “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.” (Psalms 1.1,2).

·        Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (1Thessalonians 5.17,18).

·        “Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matthew 26.41).

·        “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” (Philippians 4.6).

And Paul did this:

·        “I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day;” (2Timothy 1.3).

It is quite true that there is no verse that states that one goes to hell if he stays one day without praying or meditating on the Holy Scripture. However, let us think: whoever stays a day without eating can’t even pass evil?

And if the individual, even if he be not totally without eating, but does not eat properly for days and days, do you agree that his body will deteriorate over time?

Spiritually it's the same thing! If one does not feed his spirit with prayer and meditation on the Holy Scripture, he becomes weak and may even wither in the faith (see 1 Timothy 1:19).

Furthermore, we can’t forget that we will all go through trials (see Matthew 7:24-27; John 16:33, 1 Corinthians 3:12-15). How do we expect to be approved in them (as 2 Timothy 2:15 commands), if we do not prepare ourselves properly? How to expect to find the Eternal's help at the right time if we do not set out confidently near the throne of grace (Hebrews 4:16).

The Holy Scripture is clear: we must abide in Christ and His love (John 15:9; Romans 11:22), always walking in His Spirit (Colossians 1:10).

May Jesus help us to realize that there is nothing more useful to do with our time than to allow Him to use all the talents and gifts He has given us for the honor and glory of His name. May Jesus enable us to live what He and Paul said:

·        “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Matthew 6.19-21).

·        “If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.” (Colossians 3.1-3)

·        “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4.8).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 2/5/2017 at 3:06 PM, Praise2God4ever said:

As a christian, i believe reading the bible regularly is a beneficial thing, but sometimes i feel like i'm sinning if i'm not reading it enough times a day. is it necessary to read the bible if you are still doing other "christian stuff"?

Your not sinning.  Reading the word of God is to feed our souls.  The Bible is God's love letter to us. 

Doing other "Christian stuff" does not make us better.  We do works because we love Jesus and want to share His love for the world.  We are not bound by works.  We "do" because we love others as we are loved.  

I hope all this makes sense.  

• George changed the title to Would reading the Bible regularly be a "work"?