Need Advice/Choosing a Bible Study

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello! I am trying to choose a Bible Study that would be beneficial to a friend of mine, and I would really appreciate some advice or hear some suggestions from some members from this forum. This person I will be doing the Bible study with was raised in Christian schools her entire life, has gone to church most of her life, and she is a Christian. However, she has fallen out of church and is really struggling spiritually right now. She comes from a home where her parents have always given her whatever she wants, but they have never had a personal one on one relationship with her. I would never tell her this, but I question whether they really love her or not.

Their love is very conditional. They will be affectionate if she does x, y, z, but they also threaten to cut her out of their lives if she doesn't do everything they want. She is in her second year of college, and she is studying to become a teacher as she feels like that's a calling for her. Her father berates her for that, and voices his displeasure for her decision to anyone who asks what his kids are studying. They are also trying to force her to marry a man she does not love, and has a lot of negative feelings towards. She feels they are trying to make her marry him simply because of his family's money and connections. She has been forced to go out on some dates with him, and he has treated her very poorly by pushing her when she didn't do what he wanted and saying inappropriate things to her. She feels her family likes this guy better than her, and her family routinely tells her they will cut her out of their lives forever if she does not marry him. Her father sends her frequent messages belittling her and calling her names because she is not showing affection towards this young man.

She has only had one serious love interest, and she ended up finding out months after dating him that he was actually married. She says she felt  like she changed after that and she stopped going to church. She started drinking and partying, and has starting hanging out with some very negative influences who criticize her faith in God and try to pressure her to do what they do. She struggles and goes to a therapist who gives her advice that is completely contrary to the Bible. He frequently encourages her to have sexual relations outside of marriage (which she does not believe in) and talks about her belief in the Bible and moral standards as if they are a negative. She also says that she just wants to go wild sometimes, and do whatever she wants just to rebel against her parents for trying to make her marry someone she doesn't love.

I really have a heart for this person, and she has agreed to doing a Bible study with me. I have been searching, but I have not found anything that sticks out to me. I have thought about doing a study on the book of Proverbs as it talks a lot about wisdom, but I know the main thing she needs right now is a real, personal relationship with God. If any of you have a suggestion on a Bible study I could do with her, or just have any advice on what I can do in this situation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by GraceSolider

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

May be something on NT. Pauline Epistles or one of the Gospel books. Through that Bible Study, you can go back to OT and bring the link between OT and NT.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Colossians is very good.  It's just four chapters if you don't want to tackle anything too long.

It basically has two themes:

• emphasizing the deity and importance of Jesus Christ
  • emphasizing how Christians should live

Thank you for your responses so far! If anyone knows of a specific Bible study that they have personally been through too, I would love to hear some testimonies.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?