Jayneseek2

Matthew 12: 31-32 Blasphemy

There seems to be more than a modicum of confusion concerning "the unforgiveable sin". I will add my 2 cents in just to see if I can bring clarity or confusion. From my study and understanding of the Scriptures, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is either assigning credit to God's Holy Spirit for the works of Satan, or assigning to Satan, credit for the works of the Holy Spirit. In short, the Holy Spirit's role in our lives has been very clearly defined. He is to guide us into all truth and He is to be a Comforter, one who comes along side. For us to assign the Holy Spirit the role of sending people to hell, is not correct. Nor is it blasphemy. For us to say, for instance, that the Holy Spirit influences some people to choose heaven and some people to choose hell, THAT is not only incorrect but blasphemous because now we are accusing God's Holy Spirit of wrong doing and incorrect motives. To believe that way is to commit the unpardonable sin. Even repenting for that sin will receive no grace and mercy from the Father.

As to the sin of unbelief, that is kind of a sticky wicket. IF someone begins to believe, it is forgiven. IF someone remains in a state of unbelief, there is no forgiveness because there is no belief. Still, I personally do not classify that as the unforgivable sin.

In Matthew 5, there is a different point raised. If you cannot forgive your brother, whom you can see, the Heavenly Father, whom you cannot see, cannot forgive you. This IS a big deal breaker with many Christians. If we do not forgive others, God cannot forgive us...period, no quid pro quos, no exceptions.

That may come as a supreme shock to many but I believe it to be true. For there are many Christians who have suffered great horrors (rape, abuse, torture, etc.), that "cannot" forgive their tormentors. To this I say, lovingly, you must forgive or God cannot forgive you. For us to not forgive means that we have decided that God is NOT Sovereignly capable of punishing our tormentors and that they do not deserve God's mercy or grace or even the opportunity to be saved...which then makes us higher than Yahweh...and we are NOT higher than Yahweh...ever...on our best day. When we choose to forgive, we are choosing to let God assign the appropriate punishment for the sins committed against us. We are also choosing to acknowledge that there are things that we do not want to handle. The FACT is that we were wronged, hurt,  wounded and damaged. The truth is that God is our Healer, Our deliverer, Our judge and our Redeemer. The truth is we need redemption more than our tormentor....but they need redemption too. If we do not forgive them, we are telling God He is wrong for sending Jesus to die for them. Because if Jesus did not die for them too, then He died for none of us.

Don't judge me to hard here. The victory is that if we choose to forgive even when we do not feel like it, God will heal our hearts until, over time, we can actually bless our tormentor and release them into the hands of God the Father for disposition. That is good news because if I do not forgive, I have not released them and remain responsible for them...yuck. I don't even want to think about that. Let me forgive them and get them off my plate and on to God's. After all, He can deal with them.

Blessings.

On 2/10/2017 at 7:52 AM, angels4u said:

The only sin which can never be forgiven is unbelieve, if we don't believe what Jesus did for us and that He died for you and me , we make Him a liar  and,as a Christian you cannot commit this sin.

Interesting thought, but I don't think that quite accurate for a number of reasons. Just from a logical;.philosophical framework, it is awkward. If one is an unbeliever, then no sin is forgiven, unbelief is not the only sin problem, wanting someones bite of candy, that is not yours to have, puts you in jeopardy as much as other sins do. 

Unbelief, is not what Jesus said, was the unforgivable sin, so probably we should not go over His head and say that it is. I was once an unbeliever, now I am forgiven, so obviously, unbelief IS forgivable. There is no reason to preach to unbelievers, if unbelief is not forgivable.

Those who are forgiven, at those to whom grace has been given, to whom repentance was granted, those you God regenerated (the new birth) so that they had a new nature and could then respond with faith.

New birth = new nature = grace through faith = forgiveness of sin = eternal life.

As I am sure has already been pointed out in this thread, the context of the passage on blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, shows Jesus responding to those who said that Jesus cast out demons by the power of Satan, essentially calling the Holy Spirit and unholy, demonic spirit. That is the context, and calling God, the Holy Spirit as an evil spirit, is certainly blasphemous.

8 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Interesting thought, but I don't think that quite accurate for a number of reasons. Just from a logical;.philosophical framework, it is awkward. If one is an unbeliever, then no sin is forgiven, unbelief is not the only sin problem, wanting someones bite of candy, that is not yours to have, puts you in jeopardy as much as other sins do. 

Unbelief, is not what Jesus said, was the unforgivable sin, so probably we should not go over His head and say that it is. I was once an unbeliever, now I am forgiven, so obviously, unbelief IS forgivable. There is no reason to preach to unbelievers, if unbelief is not forgivable.

Those who are forgiven, at those to whom grace has been given, to whom repentance was granted, those you God regenerated (the new birth) so that they had a new nature and could then respond with faith.

New birth = new nature = grace through faith = forgiveness of sin = eternal life.

As I am sure has already been pointed out in this thread, the context of the passage on blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, shows Jesus responding to those who said that Jesus cast out demons by the power of Satan, essentially calling the Holy Spirit and unholy, demonic spirit. That is the context, and calling God, the Holy Spirit as an evil spirit, is certainly blasphemous.

Mega you said:

s I am sure has already been pointed out in this thread, the context of the passage on blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, shows Jesus responding to those who said that Jesus cast out demons by the power of Satan, essentially calling the Holy Spirit and unholy, demonic spirit. That is the context, and calling God, the Holy Spirit as an evil spirit, is certainly blasphemous.

Who do you think will commit such a sin ? ( Unbeliever)

Would a believer commit this sin by glorifying the devil for casting out demons and other demonic activity?

The unbeliever can of course be forgiven if he/she becomes a believer...