IGNORED

Do I just have wrong impression or it's true?

LPTSTR

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Hi!

Do I just have false impression or am I right? To me personally it looks like the percentage of people with at least bachelors degree in sciences is much lower among christians than in non-christians. By sciences I mean physics, chemistry, computers (and related), maths, engineering, etc. I have noticed from 100 christians (who are at student age) I know from my hometown churches there is roughly 3 - 4 people who have bachelors or higher in sciences. However it seems that when I would take randomly 100 students from university then the percentage of of sciences would be much higher. The Christans (not that much but still) seem to end their education with high school or when they go to university/college they would study something soft such as arts, languages, psychology, hairdressing, class teacher (for basic school/kindergarten), etc. I dont come from Christian family/background so I thought I would ask here if it only looks so or if it's really so. And if it is so then what could be behind it?

Edited by LPTSTR
Updated numbrs

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

13 minutes ago, LPTSTR said:

Hi!

Do I just have false impression or am I right? To me personally it looks like the percentage of people with at least bachelors degree in sciences is much lower among christians than in non-christians. By sciences I mean physics, chemistry, computers (and related), maths, engineering, etc. I have noticed from 100 christians (who are at student age) I know from my hometown churches there is roughly 2 - 3 people who have bachelors or higher in sciences. However it seems that when I would take randomly 100 students from university then the percentage of of sciences would be much higher. The Christans (not that much but still) seem to end their education with high school or when they go to university/college they would study something soft such as arts, languages, psychology, hairdressing, class teacher (for basic school/kindergarten), etc. I dont come from Christian family/background so I thought I would ask here if it only looks so or if it's really so. And if it is so then what could be behind it?

You would need to find a research study to find out if this is true. You can not just go by appearance and speculation.

You haven't noticed that with Christians/at church? What do you personally think/expect/guess?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

37 minutes ago, LPTSTR said:

To me personally it looks like the percentage of people with at least bachelors degree in sciences is much lower among christians than in non-christians.

This may be a false impression.  Not that it matters one way or another. Academic qualifications will get no one into Heaven, and in fact may be a serious hindrance to those who elevate man's wisdom above God's.  (BTW I have both a Bachelor and a  Master of Science degree from an outstanding university).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

there are many christians with degrees, though many stray away, being how liberal the college scene is these days. but im sure a lot depends on where your at as well.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

I'm not sure how you would come to this conclusion; is there a study about this somewhere?  I can't see asking people at church what their education level is, can you?  I wouldn't care anyway; belief in the Lord isn't based on one's degree or lack thereof.

20 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

I'm not sure how you would come to this conclusion; is there a study about this somewhere?  I can't see asking people at church what their education level is, can you?  I wouldn't care anyway; belief in the Lord isn't based on one's degree or lack thereof.

I have reached to this conclusion by talking to different people at churches. And during the conversation I have studies this.

Some of you tend to say that getting to heaven wouldnt depend on degree anyway as if I had offended some human right (right to be stupid) lol. Of course getting to heaven doesnt depend on that. Although I would point few things out: If you are capable of becoming engineer but are happy with being cashier then you are not bringing glory to God because you are too lazy to use the potential that God has given you. And you would excuse that by saying that you get to heaven anyway.  The other thing is that it gives kinda low reputation to church if only 1 or 2 people out of 100 have some university degree.

For those who demand research, here is some research:
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/04/the-most-and-least-educated-u-s-religious-groups/

On 11.2.2017 at 0:12 AM, Ezra said:

Not that it matters one way or another.

Just out of curiosity.

17 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

The professors did not tolerate antiquated christian ideas/questions. [...] everything being taught was diametrically opposed to Christian principals.

It leaves more the impression that the academic quality of home schooling might have been already lower than of public schooling and that may have caused additional difficulties and then the hostility was used as excuse to get rid of it. Of course the bible and science conflict each other. The way to deal with it would be to simply tell your kids that this is what bible teaches and this is what world teaches. So that when they go out of home school they would at least know what to write. But I agree with you that it is difficult topic. You even made me think how I would explain these teachings to my kids if I would have them in future.

or I should say, eternal life

I am not entirely sure of that. First I dont know how you could prepare for eternal life? You dont know exactly what's happening there, all you know is that little as Bible tells us. Second getting to heaven depends more on relationship with Jesus than on your preparation. Third in heaven you would have entire eternity to learn to know God. I am not saying that this should not be done in this life already but just stating that when you already have entire eternity to study God while having opportunity to ask Him stuff personally, then few years that you would save by skipping college wouldn't make big difference at the end. Because here in this life we cant ask Him directly and secondly we have so many other things to do that you wouldn't study 24/7 anyway. So probably spending one week in heaven could already teach you the amount that you would be able to learn with that extra time that you would gain by skipping college.

think about those who accepted his teaching, mostly but not all lesser of higher learning, and those who opposed His teachings, the educated Pharisees and Sadducees

True. But leaves 2 impressions.  First those who were educated rejected Jesus, so lets stay uneducated just in case. Second lets stay lesser educated that God could use us better.
First, it depends on calling  of God. If God calls you, educated people can join Him too, and if God doesnt call you then not being educated doesnt help to get that call either. I have seen many who have less amount of education but still have not received or accepted the call.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

3 hours ago, LPTSTR said:

For those who demand research, here is some research:

Most *research* regarding populations and people today is either (a) tainted, (b) skewed, or (c) designed to obtain a preplanned outcome. Furthermore, chances are people don't really disclose what they truly believe when some stranger probes into their affairs.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

On 2/10/2017 at 3:35 PM, LPTSTR said:

And if it is so then what could be behind it?

The fact that some completely over look is not so much that Christians are under educated ( as some of the intellectual elite imply) but that they are so much smarter to start out with that they do not need years of extra education to give them the ability to survive and prosper----

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

On 2/10/2017 at 2:35 PM, LPTSTR said:

Hi!

Do I just have false impression or am I right? To me personally it looks like the percentage of people with at least bachelors degree in sciences is much lower among christians than in non-christians. By sciences I mean physics, chemistry, computers (and related), maths, engineering, etc. I have noticed from 100 christians (who are at student age) I know from my hometown churches there is roughly 3 - 4 people who have bachelors or higher in sciences. However it seems that when I would take randomly 100 students from university then the percentage of of sciences would be much higher. The Christans (not that much but still) seem to end their education with high school or when they go to university/college they would study something soft such as arts, languages, psychology, hairdressing, class teacher (for basic school/kindergarten), etc. I dont come from Christian family/background so I thought I would ask here if it only looks so or if it's really so. And if it is so then what could be behind it?

I wouldn't get too uptight about people's (earthly) educational level especially where believers are involved. The world sees things differently, and speaking as a 55 year old with an old associate's degree, earthly degrees won't get anyone into heaven or make them more or less useful to the Lord during their journey here on earth. (Paul had a lot to say about that in 1 Corinthians.) I say that because I once fell into the trap of believing what everyone told me about "you have to have a 4 year degree . . . yada . . . yada . . . yada" and got pretty discouraged while looking for work. You don't have to have a degree - if the Lord is the one providing for you He'll find a way to put you where he wants you. I'm currently working in a field currently in which I couldn't have even applied for the job without a Bachelor's and that was something the Lord did not me. Real life experience can trump a degree under the right circumstances. I wouldn't mind going back to school, but there are other things that need to be paid first.

Most of the families in our church home schooled their kids when they were younger and the kids survived 4 years of secular college without falling away from the Lord in the process. There were some slips and stumbles along the to be sure, but everyone survived with their faith intact. Now there is another generation getting ready to go to either college or into skilled trades (i.e. plumbing, electrical, and others.) I spent a few years working at a major university in my area, and you would be surprised at the number of believers I met while there. They ranged from janitors to some well known scientists, so I think that the Lord has people everywhere. That too is something Paul had some things to say about in 1 Corinthians.

* I mention 1 Corinthians because I recently finished reading through it again. :)