IGNORED

Do I just have wrong impression or it's true?

LPTSTR

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, JTC said:

I guess I was lucky because I went to collage in the mid 1970's and this whole war over God hadn't started yet. At least not on my campus. I only remember 2 philosophy professors mentioning God and they only did to explain the subject matter. From what I read online it sounds like today a religious student might be better off not saying anything unless he wants to argue with people. Or he should look for those who agree and only discuss God with them. I'm comparing this to a problem I had in collage. I was a serious psychology major, meaning I planned on going on to graduate school. Back then the big issue was between Behaviorists and Freudian's. After 2 yrs I learned there was no compromise possible so I only discussed my views with students of like mind, unless I wanted to argue. If I was in school today I would do this concerning God also.     

Hey, thanks for sharing that. Everyone has different experiences I guess.

In college I was agnostic but by graduate school I'd had a red hot conversion Christ.  Jesus  said he'd rather one be hot or cold rather than lukewarm.. and I was on fire for Him.

In my final semester of grad school my philosophy professor thought it his duty to mock Christians and denigrate our Lord. I confronted him privately about this and he stopped. I had the same problem with a social community online. The owner was posting vulgar images of Christ with naked prostitutes and I confronted him. This guy didn't back down or remove his post so I left. We'd been friends before that. It's when you take a stand with a "friend" you sense their hatred of God and those who follow Him. 

I show kindness towards unbelievers but if they cross the line I won't remain silent. If anyone speaks  blasphemously about the Sovereign of the universe, I'll confront them.  Matthew 10:33 (ASV) But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father who is in heaven.

GFriday.png

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.94

2 hours ago, other one said:

it is sooo good to see you posting....  I trust things are going well.

Thank you, friend. I finally learned I can't "do it" apart from God... it's humbling.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

16 minutes ago, Catsmeow said:

Thank you, friend. I finally learned I can't "do it" apart from God... it's humbling.

been down that road...  nearly cost me my soul.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Hi, I have not been here for a while. So I start reading it and replying as I can.

I have already seen many good and useful responses. As I my self am not from christian family, even if I dont agree with everything I will still learn about how christians think when I read these posts.

On 12.2.2017 at 0:50 PM, JTC said:

I don't know if you're right but you may be. The hard sciences tend to believe evolution is a fact and Christians know it's not a fact so that may steer young Christians away from the hard sciences. I have a BA is psychology and I intended to get a PhD but it didn't work out. Even so, psychology isn't a hard science. I was interested in helping people with problems, more than I was interested in trying to determine if Black holes are real or what they are. Actually when I was in school Black holes were still Sci-Fi. But there may be some truth to Christians not being drawn to hard sciences. It must be pretty hard to have to sit in a classroom everyday where even the prof thinks evolution is a fact. So I can see where young Christians might be more drawn to liberal arts or other majors where they don't talk about theories as if they are facts because that's what seems to have happened these days. 

I dont really agree. First, because bible doesnt rule our evolution. Evolution can just be in a different form than Darwin teached. It could be very well combined with creation: God created initial starting point and then from there on they evolved on.  It's just one thought. Dont take it as truth. Actually evolution even proves the Bible. God said to snake (satan) that from now on he has to crawl on his belly, and findings have actually found that for reason that science cant explain snakes really did rather devolve than evolve. Scientists have found that snakes had legs in past but now they crawl on belly as God said in the bible.
Second, if your hard science isnt biology or geography or such then no one really cares what you think of evolution. For example, I managed to do BA in computer science and MA in software engineering and on one never ever asked me what I think of evolution. In my 5 year period in university, I have never had to discuss on topics where science is opposed to bible, because no one really cared about these topics.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

On 2/10/2017 at 11:35 AM, LPTSTR said:

Hi!

Do I just have false impression or am I right? To me personally it looks like the percentage of people with at least bachelors degree in sciences is much lower among christians than in non-christians. By sciences I mean physics, chemistry, computers (and related), maths, engineering, etc. I have noticed from 100 christians (who are at student age) I know from my hometown churches there is roughly 3 - 4 people who have bachelors or higher in sciences. However it seems that when I would take randomly 100 students from university then the percentage of of sciences would be much higher. The Christans (not that much but still) seem to end their education with high school or when they go to university/college they would study something soft such as arts, languages, psychology, hairdressing, class teacher (for basic school/kindergarten), etc. I dont come from Christian family/background so I thought I would ask here if it only looks so or if it's really so. And if it is so then what could be behind it?

hi... just like any thing else, in order to get 'good' at what you do, you need to spend time and effort in that particular thing.  Darwin didn't come up with the Evolution Theory off the top of his head or after waking up one morning.  As with Science, his pursuit in trying to understand something needed his time, his efforts, his investigations.  Without him personally doing anything but sitting around accepting everything every scientist told him would have led him to never have come up with the theory.  In fact he was so interested in the process of life that he investigated to finding the Galapagos Islands which he took a trip to.  And so with anything, even Christianity, the more time and effort and research and practice you put into it, the better you will become.  And remember that Christianity comes with a text book so you can read on your own time instead of just listening to the teachers. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

Darwin reportedly repented of coming up and publishing the "theory" (still just a theory, with no basis in fact)

before he died.   Whether true or not (that he repented) ,  he was possibly aware that nothing

found out that is not in line with YHWH'S WORD is of any benefit -  everything that opposes YHWH'S WORD is

sinful and not to be studied, practiced nor even dabbled in.   The more people gave in to the troops in germany 

misleading the youth,  the more their families and society was destroyed, and the faith of those who went along with it.

Unless YHWH builds the house,  they labor in vain who work on it.  

Respect* of YHWH is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge (nothing can be known or learned apart from HE grants it).

*Respect = more often quoted "fear of",  not as in terror,  but in a healthy good relationship recognizing the CREATOR.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 2/10/2017 at 4:35 PM, LPTSTR said:

Hi!

Do I just have false impression or am I right? To me personally it looks like the percentage of people with at least bachelors degree in sciences is much lower among christians than in non-christians. By sciences I mean physics, chemistry, computers (and related), maths, engineering, etc. I have noticed from 100 christians (who are at student age) I know from my hometown churches there is roughly 3 - 4 people who have bachelors or higher in sciences. However it seems that when I would take randomly 100 students from university then the percentage of of sciences would be much higher. The Christans (not that much but still) seem to end their education with high school or when they go to university/college they would study something soft such as arts, languages, psychology, hairdressing, class teacher (for basic school/kindergarten), etc. I dont come from Christian family/background so I thought I would ask here if it only looks so or if it's really so. And if it is so then what could be behind it?

I don't know if this is true neither. But if I assume it is true I can think of several reasons.  Firstly, the false idea of evolution has now been so accepted as true that research in the hard sciences is always being presented by the professors in terms of evolution. So a young Christian sitting in a collage classroom may be sick of hearing this bc he knows it's false. Or he may just not want to have to hear for fear he might start to believe it. But if he still wants the collage degree he might major in the subjects where evolution isn't constantly discussed.

You mentioned psychology and one reason Christians might be drawn to that is because some areas of psychology seek to understand why people do whatever they do. Actually as I'm doing right now. A young Christian entering collage may want to try and understand why are some people drawn to understanding God while others aren't. Psychology would allow you to study that. A young Christian also knows the Bible says we should help each other. One reason to major in psych is to become a therapist and then help people in that way. There are all kinds of ways to help others and one of them is to help them with their confusions and anxieties. That's a hard thing to do but you do it by being a psych major.

I've had a little experience with the 1st reason I gave. Here is an example of what I mean. I'm long since out of collage and I was a psych major. I had to take a class called Physiological Psychology which was about how the brain works in relation to emotions, perceptions, thoughts, etc. Back in the 1970's we knew so little about the brain that emotions etc. were still being explained is psychological terms. Today we have a field called Neuroscience or Neuropsychology. This didn't exist in the 70's. I had an idea back then that most professors disagreed with. I claimed that if we ever learn how the brain works we can explain behavior in terms of brain function and more important we will be able to cure mental illness by fixing the brain. This was not a popular idea but I wasn't alone in thinking it. I can't go to collage at my age but I found 2 or 3 professors from Stamford U. who teach Neuropsycholgy and some of their lectures are online. To me what they are saying is fascinating stuff bc I was right and we're at the beginning of understanding the brain. Not everyone has the same brain anatomy. Furthermore, on some people certain brain structures have grown in what seems to be illogical ways. Remember, this knowledge is in it's infancy. There were a few brain connections that made no sense and the prof couldn't explain why. In a futile attempt to explain it he resorted to the false idea of evolution. I thought to myself "oh no" "not in Neuropsycholgy too". I lost interest in that prof after he said that because he just took a wrong turn. He will never understand the illogical brain connections by thinking they must have served a purpose for ancient man but as evolution progressed new brain structures formed and these others are no longer needed. He couldn't just leave it at, We don't know. That really made me lose interest and if I was a current student I might've shifted my focus bc I know this is wrong. From what I read on the Internet this kind of thinking is even more prevalent in the hard sciences. If there are less Christians in the hard sciences trying to explain everything in terms of evolution, a false idea, could be why Christians aren't there.