Universalism is the belief that every man will be reconciled with God eventually - that people don't go to hell (permanently, at least).

I myself am not a universalist, though with reading the Bible, I am finding more support for it (or possible something that just seems to support the doctrine).

So, I'm not making this thread so that I can debate others, but so others can give me their reasoning for being universalist or for not being universalist. So, do you believe in universalism? Why/why not?

This thread is to help me understand more about universalism. I personally will not be debating, though others are free to debate, and I may ask a few questions from time to time.

God bless!

Edited by Brittany
Some of the users on this site have a habit of becoming nasty when debating, so I just wanted to add in that I would greatly appreciate it if we could not be rude to others in debates, even if you think someone is totally stupid for believing what they do

45 minutes ago, Brittany said:

Universalism is the belief that every man will be reconciled with God eventually - that people don't go to hell (permanently, at least).

I myself am not a universalist, though with reading the Bible, I am finding more support for it (or possible something that just seems to support the doctrine).

So, I'm not making this thread so that I can debate others, but so others can give me their reasoning for being universalist or for not being universalist. So, do you believe in universalism? Why/why not?

This thread is to help me understand more about universalism. I personally will not be debating, though others are free to debate, and I may ask a few questions from time to time.

God bless!

Universalism is not Biblical. It is false teaching.

Question: "What is Unitarian Universalism?"

Answer:
Unitarian Universalism is a fairly small, yet widely influential, religious group. Having some 300,000 registered members, mostly in the United States, they are becoming more and more popular. Relativism, tolerance, and alternative lifestyles are all buzz words used by Unitarian Universalism.

The Unitarian Universalist name comes from their denial of the doctrine of the Trinity and their belief that all human beings gain salvation. According to Universalists, the mere idea someone might go to hell is not compatible with the character of a loving God. Its roots go all the way back to the sixteenth century when Unitarian beliefs became popular during the Reformation. Unitarian thought and Universal thought were merged together during the late eighteenth-century in America during the Age of Reason. The intellectual elite of that time refused to believe in such biblical teachings as total depravity and eternal damnation, but rather embraced the idea of a loving God who would never cause someone to suffer.

Adherents of Unitarian Universalism base their beliefs primarily upon their own experiences and are not committed to any one religious system. They believe that individuals have the right to decide for themselves what to believe in and that others should not infringe upon this right. As a result, one such believer might lean toward liberal Christianity, while another might lean toward New Age spirituality. There is no real dogma beyond tolerance—for everything except biblical Christianity. Unitarian Universalists view the Bible as a book of poetry, myth, and moral teaching, a completely human book and not truly the Word of God. They reject the Bible’s portrayal of a Triune God, leaving the concept of God up to each individual’s imagination.

To the Unitarian Universalist, Jesus was a good moral teacher, but nothing more. He is not considered to be divine, and every miracle associated with Him is rejected as being outside of human reason. Most sayings of Jesus recorded in the Bible are regarded as embellishments on the part of the authors. Among the Universalist beliefs: Jesus did not die to save mankind from sin, as man is not a fallen sinner; emphasis is placed on humankind's capacity for goodness; sin is completely relative, and the term itself is rarely used; man saves himself through personal improvement, salvation being a purely worldly experience, a "waking up" to the world around oneself. This is very important, for death is final. Most Unitarian Universalists deny the existence of an afterlife, so all we have on earth is all we'll ever get.

The Bible, on the other hand, refutes these falsehoods. Jesus does save mankind, which was in a fallen state since the Garden of Eden and separated from God by sin (John 10:15; Romans 3:24-25; 5:8; 1 Peter 2:24). Man is not good, but sinful and hopelessly lost. It is only through the grace of God and faith in the shed blood of Christ on the cross that mankind can be reconciled to a holy, transcendent God (Genesis 2:16-17; 3:1-19); John 3:36; Romans 3:23; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 Timothy 2:13-14; 1 John 1:8).

Unitarian Universalism has nothing in common with biblical Christianity. It is a false gospel, its teachings are contrary to the Bible, and its members strongly oppose traditional, biblical Christian beliefs (while purporting to be free of discrimination or prejudice of any kind). The Bible clearly refutes Unitarian Universalism on all the major points of its teachings.

https://www.gotquestions.org/unitarian-universalism.html

I don't know for sure. I think not. But I wonder if God cannot undo things if he wants too.And a lot of language is figurative in the bible.

Just now, Wayne222 said:

I don't know for sure. I think not. But I wonder if God cannot undo things if he wants too.And a lot of language is figurative in the bible.

The Bible is meant to be taken literally. That is the way it was intended by God to be read. Yes, there are some play on words especially in Revelation but those are easily understood.

49 minutes ago, Brittany said:

So, do you believe in universalism? Why/why not?

No. There's absolutely no support for Universalism in Scripture, so I'm not sure how you could even say that. 

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (Mark 16:15,16).

I think sister that many things spoken in the bible are not literal. Jesus said rivers of water will come from the belly. Not literally water of course. But he said rivers of water. There is a lot of that in the bible.

6 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

I don't know for sure. I think not. But I wonder if God cannot undo things if he wants too. And a lot of language is figurative in the bible.

When it comes to Gospel truth THERE IS NOTHING FIGURATIVE.

How do you know that ? Jesus said he will come with sword in his mouth. Not literal.  

7 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

How do you know that ? Jesus said he will come with sword in his mouth. Not literal.  

Question: "Can / Should we interpret the Bible as literal?"

Answer:
Not only can we take the Bible literally, but we must take the Bible literally. This is the only way to determine what God really is trying to communicate to us. When we read any piece of literature, but especially the Bible, we must determine what the author intended to communicate. Many today will read a verse or passage of Scripture and then give their own definitions to the words, phrases, or paragraphs, ignoring the context and author’s intent. But this is not what God intended, which is why God tells us to correctly handle the Word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).

One reason we should take the Bible literally is because the Lord Jesus Christ took it literally. Whenever the Lord Jesus quoted from the Old Testament, it was always clear that He believed in its literal interpretation. As an example, when Jesus was tempted by Satan in Luke 4, He answered by quoting the Old Testament. If God’s commands in Deuteronomy 8:3, 6:13, and 6:16 were not literal, Jesus would not have used them and they would have been powerless to stop Satan’s mouth, which they certainly did.

The disciples also took the commands of Christ (which are part of the Bible) literally. Jesus commanded the disciples to go and make more disciples in Matthew 28:19-20. In Acts 2 and following, we find that the disciples took Jesus' command literally and went throughout the known world of that time preaching the gospel of Christ and telling them to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31). Just as the disciples took Jesus’ words literally, so must we. How else can we be sure of our salvation if we do not believe Him when He says He came to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10), pay the penalty for our sin (Matthew 26:28), and provide eternal life (John 6:54)?

Although we take the Bible literally, there are still figures of speech within its pages. An example of a figure of speech would be that if someone said "it is raining cats and dogs outside," you would know that they did not really mean that cats and dogs were falling from the sky. They would mean it is raining really hard. There are figures of speech in the Bible which are not to be taken literally, but those are obvious. (See Psalm 17:8 for example.)

Finally, when we make ourselves the final arbiters of which parts of the Bible are to be interpreted literally, we elevate ourselves above God. Who is to say, then, that one person’s interpretation of a biblical event or truth is any more or less valid than another’s? The confusion and distortions that would inevitably result from such a system would essentially render the Scriptures null and void. The Bible is God’s Word to us and He meant it to be believed—literally and completely.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-literal.html

Why not take it both ways. Because that is how the bible really is. I only like the truth. And if parts of the bible is figurative then I want to take it in that light. God can use figurative language to bring truth into something we can understand better. And what's wrong with figurative language anyway.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jonathan BeWell
      Praise the Lord, hallelujah!
      Praise You, God, for your purity and perfection!  Praise You Lord, Jesus Christ, for saving me and my testimony!  Glory be to You, God, our Father who art in Heaven!  Thanks be to the Holy Spirit's comfort, teaching and guidance!  All we know, understand, experience and struggle with is for your glory, perfect plan and unquestionable will.  I shall not want or crave anything outside of Jesus Christ's way.  Let me know if so, let me understand what You want for us is best.  May I pick up and carry my own cross, denying myself for You.  I worship You as all knowing, powerful and gracious.  May I draw closer to You and keep You as top priority in my family's lives.  You are first, my family is second and I am here to serve.  May I serve you reverently, fully and completely.  May there be less of me and more of Jesus Christ instead.  Jesus, You are thee only way, light and salvation.  All I need is You.  God, You take care of the rest.  You are in control, God, making and letting everything happen.  I am in awe and wonder of your creation.  I am eternally grateful, worshipping You and your Son for thee ultimate sacrifice and act of love.  This body is your temple, use it as You will.  Bend me from my will to yours.  It is all about You, everything concerns and relates to You!  Yours is the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever and ever, in Jesus Christ's name, amen!
      Sincerely yours,
      GregoryB
    • By Behold
      How did Jesus become our Savior. ????   Well obviously He is the reason you go to heaven. (Savior),= because you are born again, because you BELIEVED, and God  ACCEPTED your Faith, and gave you (made you)  His Righteousness.  ("New Creation IN Christ") Now its true that He was the Savior, always, even as a baby.....or as Simeon in Luke Ch 2, said.. "My Eyes have seen God's SALVATION", as he beheld baby Jesus. And in John 1:10, when Jesus "stood on the world HE CREATED", He was standing there as Savior of the World, He Created,  Colossians 1:16.... tho He had not saved it yet.   So, what 2 things did Jesus have to do, to BECOME our savior?   1.) He had to meet ALL the requirements of the LAW, and not fail. 2.) He had to die on the Cross, which means He became our sin bearer, our redeemer, our Justification, and our Blood Atonement.   In doing these 2 things, He became, our Savior....Literally, even if you are not  yet saved. See, here is the thing.... Jesus is LORD, no matter if you believe it or want Him to be.  And He is THE Savior, no matter if you are saved. Jesus does not become these things, once we believe them, but rather He is already, both.   One of the light-bulb moments a serious student of the New Testament will have, is when they realize that Salvation does not start when you believe....it is in fact finished 2000 yrs ago when Jesus walked out of that Tomb. It only becomes yours, when you believed.  Its APPLIED TO YOU< because you believed...  It was already there fo the lastr 2000 yrs.  Salvation was in the foreknowledge of God, before He even created Lucifer or the World or the Sun. Its been around for a while.  Salvation is something that Jesus finished 2000 yrs ago.  You get to have it, if you will believe.  If you do, then God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit, take up residence inside you, and because Jesus has obtained eternal redemption for you, and because He Himself IS Eternal life, that He Gives to you, then you are sealed into the Eternity of God Himself, and never let anyone try to convince you otherwise., as they are lying to you, Saint.   We can see that dying for sin is obvious as this explains the Cross.   God is judging Christ in our place, with those spikes, and that Crown, and that scourging  that came before Jesus was lifted up by those Spikes, between heaven and earth. Yet, before He could satisfy God's righteous judgment against our sin, by dying for our sin,  by becoming our sin....    Jesus first had to meet the requirements of the Law, so that this "curse of the law", could be taken off of us.  And Saint, never let a heretic try to put that Law back on you that Jesus shed His Blood for=  to deliver you from.   So, how did Jesus himself fully meet all the requirements of the Law?   He met them all, by being....... "God is Love". Jesus is God, and God is Love. See,... "love fulfills the Law". So you have this verse... :      Romans 13:10. "Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the LAW."   We as the born again, understand that all the law and commandments found in the (Torah - Old Testament) are fulfilled when we keep the NEW Commandments, that Jesus gave us. And when we fail, this is a time to begin again and be thankful that JESUS DIDN'T FAIL. Jesus said,  """Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. """   So, the way Jesus fulfilled the law, so that the curse of the law was taken off the Redeemed, was to LOVE. Thats how He did it. GOD IS LOVE, AND JESUS IS LOVE. Remember this verse ???   John 15:13.  "There is no greater love than this—that a man should lay down his life for his friends""" And there is Jesus laying His life Down, on the Cross, and not just for His friends, but for His ENEMIES. That is LOVE.......That is how GOD LOVES..   And the way we stop sinning, is not by straining to try to stop.  Its not by fasting ourselves from the world.  As in both cases, this will actually cause you to be more drawn to the very sin you are trying to force yourself to stop doing. Remember that Christ said......."apart from me, you can do nothing" .. You can't bear Christian Fruit, .. You can't stop sinning.... and you can't LOVE Like GOD.......APART from Jesus. So, the way you do all this, is to be filled with God.   Paul describes this as.. "it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me"..   Here is the math... God is Love.  If you are filled with God, then you are filled with LOVE.  And this love, is the Power of Christ to keep those 2 commandments. The lifelong process of being "conformed into the image of Christ" that is fulfilled entirely when we meet Jesus....(Our Eternal Inheritance)..... This process of conforming is literally the process of being conformed into the Love Of God. The more like Christ we are, the more OF God's Love we have become.     blessings,     B
    • By Behold
      Saint, 

Let me offer something that will really help a new Christian, and hopefully be a nice tune up for a pre-existing believer in Yeshua.

So, if you want Light from God,  then you have to get this revelation inside you, first, that im going to show you.
      This one.....
      You have to get this one....in the beginning of your walk with Christ... ..You absolutely must get this revelation of the Grace of God, or you will never 
      be able to move deeper into the Light of the  word of God as found in the New Testament.

Questions :::
      Have you ever wondered why there are a gazillion denominations, that all use a Bible, yet none of them agree?
      Have you ever wondered why there is no "unity" in the Body of Christ, no "same mind", within the worldwide world of all believers?
      Do you want to know why?
      Its because this verse posted next,  is not known to most believers, and until it is known, and followed by ALL,  there will never be any total unity between Christians in the world, on a forum, or between 2 Churches that are on the same STREET.

The verse : Hebrews 13:9 :

""""" Be not carried away with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with Grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein. """

This verse teaches and explains what happened to the Body Of Christ, regarding why you have a ridiculous number of denominations that all disagree regarding "church doctrine".
      Its simple..... you have to get the foundation LAID PROPERLY< before you can build the HOUSE correctly, so that there is harmony and unity between all Believers in Yeshua
      Now notice that this verse teaches that "diverse/strange doctrines, and meats", are all the same idea....... And the verse explains what will happen if your heart, (eyes of your understanding).. that receives the light of Revelation", ) is not FIRST ESTABLISHED with GRACE.. = (The understanding regarding  God's freely given Righteousness.)
      What happens is that all who are not established within their Heart by GRACE, will be carried away, caught up, confused by, and lost inside of HERESY.... Which is "divers and STRANGE Doctrine/meats", and there as so many of these around.   So many churches built upon them... Millions of Believers caught up in them....  And only because they were not grounded in GRACE, early in their Christian Beginnings.
      Now, i recognize that some of you are already yawning, as you are an expert in Grace, regarding understanding this central principal of the redemptive work of Jesus's sacrifice on the Cross, and THANK YOU JESUS< that many of you, long ago, "got the revelation".      However, and for the benefit of those who didnt and have lived their entire born again lives, so far, trying to earn God's approval by self effort...(Legalism)..> Let me show you why you are already Approved By God,  so that  you can stop trying to become what you have already become, that God's Grace has already MADE YOU.
      As you read your bible, you will run across this phrase a lot.   "made unto you", and this is a Key Phrase that will help you understand that everything that God has done for you, Thru the Blood of Jesus, has been "made unto you" when you were born again......That is to say... God has REMADE YOU TO BE.    Got it?   See, Salvation is to be Literally and Spiritually  "made into" something BY GOD,  that you were not before.    Many NT Verses explain this as being "translated from darkness to Light".  becoming a "child of the Light".   "as Jesus is So are WE on this Earth",  " heir with God"... "joint heir with Christ".  "New CREATION in Christ",  "bone of Jesus bones and flesh of Jesus's flesh"...and on and on.   So, you have to  see that you have become something by NEW BIRTH that you were not before you were born again, as this is the eternal effect of God's 'made unto you" CHANGE from "Lost" to "saved" , from Christ rejector to "Child of God", from "damned" to "Saint".

Now, lets get an understanding of where you go to get what you need to know...
      You have to know where to look to find what you need to learn.
      You dont just flip open a New Testament and hope for the best, as that is a waste of time.
      So,  this means we must go to where you find all the info, the doctrinal info, that God wants you to study.
      Read a paperback.   Study a bible.
      Books are for entertainment.
      Bibles are for gaining God's Knowledge.
      The Bible is full of Light.  Study is how you turn on the Light for Life.  Its the "ON" switch.
      To do this, you run directly to Paul's epistles.   And the reason?   Its because Paul's pen, is the direct descendant of the doctrinal information that came straight from the mouth of Jesus The Christ. Paul is the only disciple and the only Apostle whom Jesus personally took aside for a long time, and instructed into him regarding  the "first hand" information that rightly divides the Word.
      You dont get the ultra-fine doctrinal details from Jude, or James, or Mark, or  Peter.  You get your Bible Doctrine, your Church Doctrine, your lifelong Theolgy from Paul, who received it directly from the Lord, himself.
      So, what i teach, is what Paul would teach you.  As this is what any true Teacher of the Word of God is going to tell you, and teach you.
      Now,  here is a golden nugget for you.   If you want to know exactly what Paul wants you to know, that Jesus taught Him,  then of course you read all his epistles.  Thats a no-brainer... But, and here is what your Pastor, Minister, Pope, and commentary never told you....If you want to know exactly what Paul is going to teach someone in person, a literal disciple of His, then you go and read Timothy 1 & 2, and Titus.. As they are both Paul's converts.   So, just become one of Paul's converts, ideally, by reading what he taught Timothy and Titus., as well as what he teaches the Church at large, in his Epistles.  As a matter of Fact, if you are called to Teach or Preach or Pastor, then you need to live inside Timothy and Titus and all of Paul's epistles for a while........like in, .......a lifetime.
      So what does Paul teach about Grace?   Well, he teaches that Sin has separated us from God.  And this is an eternal problem for each of us, that if not solved, will cause us to end up after we die, separated from God in Eternity.  Currently, if you are not born again, you are separated from God by your sin.  However, as compared to ending up in Hell then the Lake of Fire, being alive down here and separated from God, is not quit the same level of consequence.
      So, this problem that we are all born into, has been solved by God.   And its Paul who, in the New Testament,  teaches us best and most often about the wonderful love of God as expressed as The Grace of God.  Salvation, Eternal Life, Redemption, Jesus dying on the Cross, are all an extension of the Love of God as reflected in the Grace of God.
      The central issue and subject of the New Testament, is RIGHTEOUSNESS.  And the central issue between a human being and God is their lack of righteousness and how to get it.
       God is often accused, falsely,  of "sending people to hell",   But in fact, its a lack of Righteousness that is the reason that a person will not live eternally where God lives.  Hell and Heaven are simply final destinations.  They are Eternal choices that someone is going to make, by receiving or by rejecting Christ.   One is the home for the Righteous and one is the place that maintains the unrighteous dead, until they meet their final destination.
      So, this issue of how to get righteousness, is only a problem that God can solve.  Our New Testament says that we have all sinned and fallen short of God's righteousness. So, right there, ends any method or means of saving ourselves or keeping ourselves saved.  You've noted that on a Christian Forum you always find a busload of heretics trying to make you believe that you are in control of your righteousness, and that you can earn it, and keep it...otherwise you LOSE IT  The fact is, you have no Righteousness apart from Christ's because your sinning eliminated your righteousness long ago, and you can never have it again, unless someone gives you theirs.   Enter, God.   Enter, Jesus.   Enter, The Cross.  as all these have come to give you Righteousness.
      ALL this im writing is simply what Paul teaches.  He is the Main NT teacher regarding the understanding of the Grace of God as the love of God given by God coming to this earth to meet all the requirements of the law and then die offering us HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS, for our sin.  Jesus did more on the Cross then just suffer, bleed, and die.   He literally became your SIN. 2nd Corinthians 5:21... and If you are born again, then your sin was lifted from you, erased for you, and in its place, you have received "The Righteousness of Christ".  Salvation is Christ on a cross becoming your sin and bearing it, sacrificially, so that you will never be judged for it, in eternity. Being SAVED, means you are saved from being Judged in Eternity for your SIN...... Christ bore all your sin, by becoming your sin.... and you were given as a gift, His Righteousness.  Maybe sometime you can think about this... God came down from heaven, to become your sin as well as your sin bearer and in doing so He became your Savior.. Jesus said. "Father if possible, let this cup pass from me".. And that cup, is God's wrath, his eternal judgment, poured out on HIMSELF on your behalf.   And that my reader, is The Love of God as well as Amazing Grace.

<B><