Blasphemy against the holy spirit

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I not a Christian but I have a question that is been bothering me. I hope someone can give me some answer. I want to ask about the unpardonable sin mention in the bible. In Mark 3:28-30. it mentions a sin that god will not forgive, I have read some information regarding this and mostly are saying that this sin is a continuous rejection of the holy spirit. The one who done it will have no guilt and not interested and will never ask god for forgiveness. This is what worried me because I don't feel any conviction of sin. Does it mean I had already committed it? 

I have come to known/heard about Jesus since I was quite young but I did choose not accept him. Is like I kept just saying no to Him and had continued on in the same sinful ways that I had been living in. When I sin, most of the time I feel no guilt afterwards and have no regrets later about it. 

I read from the bible there will come a time when a person had resist the holy spirit so much he stops convicting him of sin and left the person to result in he will never be saved. One heart will get more and more harden until his heart had permanently hardened against god. You try to repent and you can't repent. You can't be genuinely sorry for your sin or turn away from it.

Judas and Esau are the examples of this. In Hebrews 12:17. He sought repentance with tears but couldn't find it. Am I like them? Have tried to feel guilt but all that I get is feeling that I can't feel it. Do you think I'm beyond forgiveness? Did I commit the unforgivable sin?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

I have very good news for you my friend....if you are asking if you have blasphemed the Holy Spirit, then you have a conscience and you HAVE NOT committed the unpardonable sin. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a willful, depraved assignment of evil specifically to the Holy Spirit. For example, if someone claimed that the Holy Spirit told them to kill their spouse and eat them...that would be an example of something close to blasphemy. Or perhaps just saying the Holy Spirit is Satan. Those are two examples I can think of and I don't want to go any further because that kind of thinking is not healthy. The Bibles says to think on things that are good and holy....blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the opposite of Holy.

So, if you are unconvicted of sin, that just means you have a hard heart. To continue in this fashion may lead you someday to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. But since you are worried about that sin, that means your heart still has sensitivity to the Holy Spirit and there is hope that someday the Love of God will chase you down and apprehend you for Christ. "No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend".... Jesus voluntarily laid down His life for you for the sole purpose of restoring fellowship between you and God, the Father. God sent His Holy Spirit as a Comforter and as a guide to all truth. Hopefully, someday soon, you will recognize the love of the Father and come home to a peaceful, fulfilling (but challenging) life.

As for "feeling" guilt, that is not always a reliable evidence of how we really are. While "feeling" convicted is a good way to measure our guilt, those in Christ are supposed to act on faith. That faith is based upon the Word of God which says, " that all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God". If we first allow that the Bible is THE authority on sin, then we simply believe that particular scripture and then repent (apologize and change direction) and ask God for forgiveness. Likewise, when we pray for forgiveness, we may not "feel" forgiveness but again must trust the Bible in 1 John 1:9 which says the He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins AND to cleanse us from unrighteousness". So I begin to exercise my faith by believing what the Bible says and then, when I have done what the Bible tells me to do, I find that I "sense" a peacefulness in my heart. The things that worry me don't seem to be so important and I begin to see a change in my heart which results in a feeling of peace and rightness. While that is hard to describe, imagine the feeling you get when you help an old lady across the street, doing something just to be a blessing. It's that feeling (on steroids) you get when you are right with God. The more we exercise our faith, the more the proper feelings will follow. There will come a time when you will feel God's pain when you do something wrong...THAT IS CONVICTION.

In the mean time. Get a Bible and begin reading. Start with Matthew, Mark, Luke and John because they tell the story of Jesus. See if you can find something in Jesus to relate to.

Blessings

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

On 2/11/2017 at 9:05 PM, humrts said:

Judas and Esau are the examples of this. In Hebrews 12:17. He sought repentance with tears but couldn't find it. Am I like them? Have tried to feel guilt but all that I get is feeling that I can't feel it. Do you think I'm beyond forgiveness? Did I commit the unforgivable sin?

Let me help you out here with Esau.  He was not seeking forgiveness of his sins nor was he seeking a relationship with God.

These tears he cried was over his selfishness from rejecting his birthright from his father, Isaac.

From Hebrews 12 ..... " lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright. For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought it diligently with tears."

At first, he didn't want his birthright - he wanted food, he was hungry.  So, his brother enticed him to give it to him in exchange for a bowl of stew.

He despised the birthright.  The birthright involved great responsibility.  It meant you inherited the authority of your father.  He wasn't interested in being a spiritual or family leader.

BUT .... the birthright also came with blessings.  Perks so to speak.  When it came time for THAT, he was remorseful and actually cried tears over it.  But there was no going back.  It was too late for him to say "I'm sorry .... let's do that over!".  The birthright and blessings had already been given to his brother.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

The one who done it will have no guilt and not interested and will never ask god for forgiveness. This is what worried me because I don't feel any conviction of sin. Does it mean I had already committed it? 

When I sin, most of the time I feel no guilt afterwards and have no regrets later about it. 

You can't be genuinely sorry for your sin or turn away from it.

Have tried to feel guilt but all that I get is feeling that I can't feel it. Do you think I'm beyond forgiveness? Did I commit the unforgivable sin?

In a nutshell, no - it is not too late for you and you are not beyond forgiveness.

You've used several different words here for the same thing and I think that's a part of the problem.

• A person can have a guilty conscience, but not be convicted of sin by the Holy Spirit.  That's clear in the story from John 8 where the religious leaders brought the woman caught in adultery to Jesus with the intent to trap him in a legal matter.  When he showed them that they just trapped themselves (that's another discussion), the Bible says that "When they heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, they went out one by one from the oldest to the youngest."  Where did they go?  Out to renounce their sin and follow Jesus?  NO!  They went back and regrouped and made different plans in how to kill him.    That was also  Judas' problem. His was just a worldly sorrow.
  • Paul says in 2  Corinthians 7 that there is a difference between Godly sorrow and worldly sorrow.   He says, "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation without regret, but worldly sorrow brings death."

So  perhaps your semantics should change.

Jesus had some very deep and personal final discussions with his inner and primary 12 disciples in John 13-17.

In John 16:7-9 he tell them that it's good that he is going away [dying, resurrected by God, and leaving this earth] because if he doesn't, the Holy Spirit won't come and that the Holy Spirit will "...And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin because they do not believe in Me...."

The King James also translates that Greek word ἐλέγχωv (convict) as "convince" in four other places.

You haven't been convinced.

You are seeking an emotional feeling of guilt or remorse.  Worldly sorrow. Conscience.

The Holy Spirit wants to convince you (understanding that leads to acceptance) of your condition as non-believer.  A Godly sorrow that "leads to salvation".  Jesus said the Holy Spirit would convict (convince) the world of sin - singular.  What sin must be turned from first?

Unbelief.

It's not about an emotion or feeling or tingling sensation or trembling or "experience".  It's about acknowledging to God that you have sin in your life - you know you do.  We all do.  In the VERY least - have you broken even just one of the 10 Commandments?  The Bible says if you've broken one that's all it takes.

Do you think you could accept that conviction that you are a sinner even though you don't "feel" guilt?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,857
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I not a Christian but I have a question that is been bothering me. I hope someone can give me some answer. I want to ask about the unpardonable sin mention in the bible. In Mark 3:28-30. it mentions a sin that god will not forgive, I have read some information regarding this and mostly are saying that this sin is a continuous rejection of the holy spirit. The one who done it will have no guilt and not interested and will never ask god for forgiveness. This is what worried me because I don't feel any conviction of sin. Does it mean I had already committed it? 

I have come to known/heard about Jesus since I was quite young but I did choose not accept him. Is like I kept just saying no to Him and had continued on in the same sinful ways that I had been living in. When I sin, most of the time I feel no guilt afterwards and have no regrets later about it. 

I read from the bible there will come a time when a person had resist the holy spirit so much he stops convicting him of sin and left the person to result in he will never be saved. One heart will get more and more harden until his heart had permanently hardened against god. You try to repent and you can't repent. You can't be genuinely sorry for your sin or turn away from it.

Welcome to Worthy! These might help:

http://www.desiringgod.org/messages/beyond-forgiveness-blasphemy-against-the-spirit

http://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/what-is-the-unforgivable-sin

http://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/can-a-christian-blaspheme-the-holy-spirit

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

On 2/11/2017 at 10:05 PM, humrts said:

Well humrts it seems to me you know that you are a sinner, but based on what?

Your question about grieving the Holy Spirit pertains to the God of the Bible. 

But hey, why bother to change if you don't believe in God?

In that case...who are you sinning against?

Or do you believe in God?

To come into the kingdom of God we have to know we are sinners and repent of that sin.

There are at least 2 reasons I would not like to sin

1) it puts a barrier between me and God

2) it puts a barrier between me and others

Either way, whether you feel guilty about it or not it messes up relationships.

Repenting doesn't mean I am going to instantly change what I do. It does mean that I am going to change the way I think about what I do, the change for the better then comes as a result of that change.

You know and believe more than what you realize.

That you are concerned about not going to heaven because you may be grieving the Holy Spirit makes me ask the question ..why are you worried about that stopping you from going to heaven when you have a guaranteed free ticket to heaven being handed to you by Jesus?

You know you are a sinner, you know Jesus paid for those sins. Nothing says you have to feel a certain way...you just gotta admit it and want to change from those ways. 

Forgiveness has already been given....once .....for all.     1Pe_3:18  For the Messiah also suffered for sins once for all, an innocent person for the guilty, so that he could bring you to God. He was put to death in a mortal body but was brought to life by the Spirit, 

all you have to do is accept it.

Sooooo, why not?

Edited by Mike 2

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

On 2/11/2017 at 10:05 PM, humrts said:

In all honesty, if you committed the "unforgivable sin", you would not be here talking about it.  Since you are, listen to God as He is calling you to repent from your sins, accept Jesus as your savior, and receive the Holy Spirit who seals your salvation and will create in you a new life.