• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

“You shall have no other gods before me.

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.  You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,  but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

“You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.  Six days you shall labor, and do all your work,  but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

“You shall not murder.

“You shall not commit adultery.

“You shall not steal.

“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

“You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.”

Moses said; “Do not fear, for God has come to test you, that the fear of him may be before you, that you may not sin.”

Jesus said; (After the beatitudes) 

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.  For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.  Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.  For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’  But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.  So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you,  leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.  Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison.  Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.[f]

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’  But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.  If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.  And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

“It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’  But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

“Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’  But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God,  or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black.  Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.[g]

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.  And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.  And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.  Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?  And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?  You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Seems to me that Jesus stepped it up a notch for us.

I so often  read and hear that all the law has been reduced to  just two  commands, or that the Law is abolished, yet all I can see is that Jesus added motive and heart feeling to our list making it, as He stated, that  we must be better than even the pharisees and the scribes if we are to enter the kingdom of heaven. Yes, our sins are covered by His Blood shed at the cross for that very purpose. But we sin and are held to a standard even the Pharisee did not see nor the scribes record.  Jesus has revealed to us an even higher standard that is God's perfection. At fullest sanctification, when with my Lord, I will evidently not even know of sin in my heart. What an amazing thing that will be. Praise God!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

Jesus made us take more responsibility for our actions and be more responsible to each other. He simplfied the deduction of the laws and tore away the red tape and the neuances that those who were the scribes and the religious hierachy of the day had built around these laws, which Jesus said, made Gods laws of non effect.

The Scribes were all about being seen as dignified by the rest of the Israelites. They liked the idea that people had to come to them for their special little take on the laws they had manipulated for years.  If I'm not mistaken The Pharisees and Sagisees were religious movements who highlight different ideals within the laws to make themselves more favorable to those of the Israelites they could con into following them.  They were the religious version of our political parties of today and wanted more to control those filling their ranks then they were the well being of these same followers.

What blows my mind is the left always seems to thing the the new testament is so degrading to women, but Christ updated the status of women from that of a person who could be put away like old baggage to a human being that deserved to be recognized as a person and a wife. He did more for women in that short time he walked the world then anyone before him dating as far back as the carving of the Ten Commandments.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Consider what Jesus said: "‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’ ".  What does it mean to live these words?  Far more than just obeying the laws.  Jesus continues by saying "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."  By no means is this reducing anything, but expounding upon them.  Meditate on this and consider what loving God like this really means and you will understand.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

so riddle me this:::::

in the purple part of this scripture lists things that Jesus says disqualifies them from eternal life with him and sends them to hell.   So which of the ten commandments did these people not do?

Matt 25:31-46

31 "But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 "And all the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left. 34 "Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You drink? 38 'And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 'And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' 40 "And the King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.' 41 "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.' 44 "Then they themselves also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' 45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' 46 "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
NASB

We are not longer under the ten commandments IF we are following Jesus and doing his basic two.   It is not a good thing to promote the ten commandments for you could go your entire life and not break a single one of them, and according to this scripture still go to hell.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

10 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Jesus has revealed to us an even higher standard that is God's perfection...

And that is why the two greatest commandments have been distilled into the Law of Love, which can only be obeyed in the power of the Holy Spirit. Distillation condenses everything to its essence. At the same time, the righteousness of Christ is being imputed to every believer. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  2

In some translations it say Jesus said follow the law AND love your neighbor like yourself.  And its not just something I say, where I come from all the bibles have it and NOT this with love. I get it though through the Spirit. But its veryy new to me.

11 hours ago, OneLight said:

Consider what Jesus said: "‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’ ".  What does it mean to live these words?  Far more than just obeying the laws.  Jesus continues by saying "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."  By no means is this reducing anything, but expounding upon them.  Meditate on this and consider what loving God like this really means and you will understand.

That must mean to treat everyone like they were Jesus.

4 minutes ago, Heavenunlimited said:

That must mean to treat everyone like they were Jesus.

I am not sure I would agree 100%,  To me, it means to love them as Christ loves us.  I don't think I could ever love another person the way I love God.

Is there any difference between the two really?

15 minutes ago, Heavenunlimited said:

Is there any difference between the two really?

For me, absolutely.  Humans have faults that do not allow us to love them like they are God.  God is pure love, humans are not.