• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

3 minutes ago, Logan said:

I'm unclear why people keep calling the United States a democracy.  It isn't. The United States is a republic.

I've been telling people that same thing for 50 years.  It appears that the reason is that people want to put over the idea that we are a country of mob rule and we are not.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, Bill16652 said:

It is hard for me to rally around someone who lacks honesty in dealings with the media and perhaps even reality.

But you were perfectly fine with Mr. Obama.  How come, since he seriously lacked honesty (e.g. Obamacare) and also was delusional?  Not once did he every call Radical Islamic Terrorism by its proper name.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

In the same way you accuse others of attacking Trump unjustly why is it in the same breath you go back to Obama, he is no longer president and the topic is Trump.  Yes, they have all lied, republican and democrat but Trump takes it to a whole other level it seems to me

Guest shiloh357
11 minutes ago, Bill16652 said:

In the same way you accuse others of attacking Trump unjustly why is it in the same breath you go back to Obama, he is no longer president and the topic is Trump.  Yes, they have all lied, republican and democrat but Trump takes it to a whole other level it seems to me

We bring up Obama to expose the hypocrisy of Leftists who were silent while Obama lied about healthcare and violated the Constitution, but suddenly become constitutional scholars and paragons of honesty now that Trump is in office.  

You cannot really come up with any lie that Trump has told, much less any lie that comes up with, "If  you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor" or "if you like your insurance you can keep your insurance, period."  

Obama (and Hillary) are the ones who took lying to a whole other level.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  288

ok be blessed with this topic I will leave you to it

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Bill16652 said:

Does alternative factsing a bell?  

Alternative facts isn't "lying."  It is presenting facts that the our liberal anti-America media has been trying to avoid and sweep under the rug.

How about rigged election with 3 million illegal voters, or how about the whole Russian thing?  

The Left has been trying to hide the real numbers of illegal voters.   It was discovered during the Michigan recount that there were illegal ballots cast and they immediately shut down. 

The Russian issue was a smokescreen put up by the DNC when damaging E-mails were released showing DNC corruption and how they rigged the primary/caucuses to favor Hillary over Bernie.  They blamed it on Russia.  Then the Russians were blamed for Trump's victory and so far no real evidence has been found to corroborate that.   Hillary lost for reasons that had nothing to do with Russia. 

So many hard to remember as it all blurs together after a while.  Then lets not forget the personal insults to the different candidates and a gold star mother for petes sake.

Trump said some mean things.  Trump said in public what the politicians say in private.  Big whoop. 

I am more than willing to discuss but if this is just another everything he does is ok or justified then I am out of here.  I would love to talk facts that are not ignored or dismissed .  

Then stop doing the same thing.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  893
  • Days Won:  1

15 hours ago, Logan said:

I'm unclear why people keep calling the United States a democracy.  It isn't. The United States is a republic.

hi Logan

I think it might sometimes depend on which english language a person is using .... i.e  if the person is using American English.... or if they are using other english languages such as UK English.... 

For example .... if I am not mistaken there are at least two  [or more?]  different types of democracy - for example  direct democracy and representative democracy....   

If I am not mistaken..    UK english  {and Australian english etc too} .. would often  consider both direct democracy and representative democracy as being types of democracies.....  Not just 'direct democracy' only....  

On the other hand...  I am not sure whether or not American English only defines 'direct democracy' as being a democracy ?

For the term republic there is also possibly a difference between UK english and American english.

If I am not mistaken for UK English etc .. the term republic is often used for countries which don't have monarchy etc as a ruler or a head of state etc....  Or in other words it might possibly be the presence or lack of a monarchy etc.. which might be a main way to determine whether or not a country is called a republic?  

For American English the definition.. or emphasis.. seems a bit different?

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/republic?a=british

Sorry just wanted to give a different viewpoint.

Thanks.

Edited by just_abc

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

when I took civics in high school in the early to mid 60's  a democracy was what you refer to as a direct democracy, and a Republic is a specialized form of a democratic process as to the majority elect representatives.

Technically we are a Constitutional Republic in that the constitution is the law of the land and the people we elect to the offices that the constitution establish are sent there to represent us.  As so, we don't have any leader in the country, for the constitution is what governs us.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  893
  • Days Won:  1

On ‎19‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:17 PM, other one said:

when I took civics in high school in the early to mid 60's  a democracy was what you refer to as a direct democracy, and a Republic is a specialized form of a democratic process as to the majority elect representatives.

hi Brother

Thanks very much for explaining  :)

I am wondering if perhaps either the definition of the terms democracy and republic  ..might have changed over time..?  or if the terms might have a partly different meaning in many countries outside the USA....

In my country  [and I think many other countries too].. the term democracy is currently used to refer to representative democracies too  [i.e. countries where people vote in elections to elect representatives.. to pass laws etc on their behalf].

Also if I am not mistaken..  outside the usa - the term republic is often used for countries which don't have a monarch etc.

For example -  Australia, Japan, Singapore and Indonesia - all have elections....  But while Singapore and Indonesia are called Republics.... Japan and Australia are not called republics because they have a monarch as head of state.... 

Anyways sorry for my off topic post.  But wanted to thank you for taking the time and trouble to explain to me.  Much appreciated!

:)

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  480
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

19 minutes ago, just_abc said:

hi Brother

Thanks very much for explaining  :)

I am wondering if perhaps either the definition of the terms democracy and republic  ..might have changed over time..?  or if the terms might have a partly different meaning in many countries outside the USA....

In my country  [and I think many other countries too].. the term democracy is currently used to refer to representative democracies too  [i.e. countries where people vote in elections to elect representatives.. to pass laws etc on their behalf].

Also if I am not mistaken..  outside the usa - the term republic is often used for countries which don't have a monarch etc.

For example -  Australia, Japan, Singapore and Indonesia - all have elections....  But while Singapore and Indonesia are called Republics.... Japan and Australia are not called republics because they have a monarch as head of state.... 

Anyways sorry for my off topic post.  But wanted to thank you for taking the time and trouble to explain to me.  Much appreciated!

:)

Good explanation...and further to direct democracy..it is where the voters, upon petition can trigger a referendum on various issues such as politician salary increases, taxes etc...it is said to be binding if the majority vote for or against an issue.  California seems to use this form of Government a lot..but as my research indicates other states as well have the provision..ie..Arizona, Colorado, Michigan,Montana, Nevada, North Dakota and Oregon.  It is known as the Swiss system of democracy, as that country has had this system for a very long time.