IGNORED

Are Christians able to drink? Is it a sin?

Your Brother In Christ

What do you think  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is It A Sin To Have A Beer?

• Yes, it is a sin
    • No, it is not a sin

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, LovelyJoni said:

I don't believe Jesus ever drank fermented wine, but grape juice only. When I need to relax I turn to Jesus, turning to alcohol to relieve my stress is idolatry.

Amein.    It's difficult to comprehend these days,  that grape juice 2000 years ago was not anything like grape juice in the regular supermarket today.  

David Wilkerson had a few excellent sermons about this (I expect), and wrote the book "Sipping Saints" showing from SCRIPTURE the warnings from OT and NT and how damaging (unhealthy physically, for the mind,  and spiritually) it is to consume alchoholic drinks.  

Guest shiloh357

Drinking a glass of wine occasionally is not a sin.  Being an alcoholic IS a sin/sinful lifestyle.   Personally, I have no use for alcohol. I don't drink and never will.   If all of the alcohol fell off the face of the earth, the world would be a better place.   Alcohol and alcoholism have destroyed families and have shipwrecked the faith of many.   Better to just stay away from it, altogether.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

The answer to the question is going to depend on context. Why people generally consider drinking beer or wine to be sin? Because of alcohol in it. Even cold medicine have alcohol in it. Do we avoid taking medicine with alcohol? It is acceptable because we don't get "drunk", it does not stumble another believe, does not damage body, it is for a genuine reason to make us get better, it is very limited in quantity. It is not a sin every time alcohol touches our lips. There is no limit to say exceeding a certain quantity becomes sin (like the legal rules for driving!). Even a single cup of alcohol can cause another person to stumble, which is sin. There is no yes and no question and depends on the context and situation.

We just have to remember the golden rule. While something might be permissible, it need not be beneficial. We should strive to do things which are beneficial and bring glory to Lord.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  573
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, a Christian is able to enjoy alcohol on occasion. The prohibition is to become drunk. Or to drink to excess regularly. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

I voted "No, it is not a sin". Still, I see no reason to have one either. Actually, avoiding it seems a better alternative.

On 3/20/2017 at 4:50 PM, HAZARD said:

Getting drunk is the sin not enjoying wine or even beer.

Being drunk is a real problem as the person becomes much more vulnerable, and people can do things they would probably never do when sober.

Some may not even remember what they did.

Alcohol is an addictive substance. I know it can become a new (unnecessary) hurdle in my life if I give it a chance.

I am doing fine without it, then why risk? I see no reason.

And no, I would not trust myself to drink "just a cup". If I was already tempted to drink tons of alcoholic beverages without even drinking them previously... Imagine if I did.

No, thanks!

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, 4LdKHVCzRDj2 said:

I voted "No, it is not a sin". Still, I see no reason to have one either. Actually, avoiding it seems a better alternative.

Being drunk is a real problem as the person becomes much more vulnerable, and people can do things they would probably never do when sober.

Some may not even remember what they did.

Alcohol is an addictive substance. I know it can become a new (unnecessary) hurdle in my life if I give it a chance.

I am doing fine without it, then why risk? I see no reason.

And no, I would not trust myself to drink "just a cup". If I was already tempted to drink tons of alcoholic beverages without even drinking them previously... Imagine if I did.

No, thanks!

I enjoy a drink just as Jesus and His disciples did, but, I will not be dominated by it or anything.