• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

My bride has established hanging pots and flowers at our rear patio door. A Mexican dove hen has found it and sitteth there never leaving, with child to come I suppose. My instinct is to swat the dang pigeon's flower pot and shoo away this squatter so it does not  leave bird dropping to be cleaned up each day.

But- my Texas peach, my bride has already forseen that instinct. She has told me of  the "dove" at our door and please honor it's visit upon us.

Okay, I get it "dove" not pigeon, but droppings is droppings. Perhaps this Mexican dove is a "kind" sign too, a lesson.

Or, maybe it is just a pigeon with an accent leaving droppings.

None the less we will both  take it as honor and leave the nesting dove with new appreciation of even droppings - maybe putting a second pot  of flowers to be  "nourished" under the upper nest.

Kinda like if given lemons make lemonade.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

Why not move the hanging pots somewhere else? Otherwise yep you will have to deal with the "consequences" of the decision :laugh: :P

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  713
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

You're wanting to shoo away a dove that's chosen to bring a family to your rear patio door? 

How often do you use that rear door? If it is a busy area it's unusual for a pregnant bird to land near an area of busy travel by humans. Maybe see this as a blessing being the Dove isn't following their wild nature when they decide to visit you all. Maybe there's a message there what with the Dove and its identity in scriptures? Maybe see what those qualities are and find why God would deliver this to you, a family in your own right. 

On 2/19/2017 at 11:22 AM, Jewels7 said:

You're wanting to shoo away a dove that's chosen to bring a family to your rear patio door? 

How often do you use that rear door? If it is a busy area it's unusual for a pregnant bird to land near an area of busy travel by humans. Maybe see this as a blessing being the Dove isn't following their wild nature when they decide to visit you all. Maybe there's a message there what with the Dove and its identity in scriptures? Maybe see what those qualities are and find why God would deliver this to you, a family in your own right. 

Yes!

I had such an experience when deep into the care of my then wife of some 48 years as she was suffering her harsh illness.  I saw a  brownish dirty looking lump under my front patio post at that door. Thought it was a mud dauber  at first, but it turned out to be a wren or some other  very small brownish bird almost as small as a humming bird. It did not leave. Eventually I found that it was hovering protectively, wings spread over its mate. It stayed there  for the months of time of my wife's severe illness. When she died the birds left. They did not return next year, but they did make a visit for a short period of time about two years later when I  may have needed a little reminder of them, and of God's provision being perfect in all matters, even during my sorrow. I was lifted in seeing them, suddenly felt a lift in my own spirit and was about to put to rest a time of marking her passing on to our creator and Lord Jesus.

Now at my advanced age I  or we,  my new bride and I, are "starting a new life" much as the Van Morrison* tune sings out. It is a time of decisions and appreciation and planning. And we have this dove, as my bride declares a Mexican Dove, not a pigeon.  And yes, I am freshly reminded of signs though the only sign I need is the sign  of the prophet Jonah. - As declared and ever so strongly pointed out to me by the Holy Spirit  in His specific call to me for my repentance and acceptance of my Lord Jesus.

None the less Ido so appreciate  the kindness of God in all things, even the stones, being signs of His creation and His Glory. I look not for signs, but sure do love the obvious of God, which post acceptance does seem to be something of His extra kindness to a humble servant's heart and mind.

At any rate, I have returned from an extra special  presentation from Psalm 119 this morning and am so enjoying that lift, plus the breeze is blowing gentle on my new found friend  the Mexican Dove in my pot right at my rear door. And no she does not move. We go in out  and even left the door open for  the breeze and it just sits her duty to the nest, and to the manner of God, who is awesome.

"The Sign of Jonah

Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered him, saying, “Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you.”  But he answered them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.  For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.  The men of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.  The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here."

Edited by OneLight
Removed YouTube Links

A little Post Script.

Thanks Jewels7! After you mentioned using the door, I realized hey it is a french door set. So I have rearranged the cat's inside the doors sunning perch over to the door right under the bird so that we may use the one further away to go in and out, and have set planters outside that door to catch the droppings plus added fresh full water to a very large dog bowl in that close area.  Will get some seed as feed, and stop lawn spraying service for the next few weeks/months back there. If we are to  have a new wild pet or visiter we might as well feed 'em.

Kind of humorous to look at the cat sunning on one side of the glass paneled door and the bird setting  on the other hardly a human arms spread apart. Suppose there is a special pregnant dove's seed mix on the market?