• 6 months later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

1. Jesus’ actual name is Yeshua. Yeshua comes from the Hebrew noun Yeshu-á, which means salvation. When Joseph was visited by the Angel, he was told that he must give the child the name Yeshua, because He would be Yeshu-á for His people! (Matt. 1:21) You miss this powerful prophetic wordplay in Greek and English.

2. His mother’s name was not Mary or even Maria. She was not Catholic! Miriam is the same name as the sister of Moses. It is a Jewish name, and that was her name. She was an Israelite who lived long before the Vatican even existed.

3. John was not a Baptist. No disrespect to my Baptist friends, but John was the last and greatest of the Hebrew prophets like Jeremiah, Isaiah and Ezekiel. He prophesied the coming of the Jewish Messiah. He too was an Israelite calling the Jewish people to get ready for the appearance of the Lamb of God.

4. Baptism is not unique to the New Testament. Jews, believe it or not, used water immersion for centuries before John began to baptize his Jewish followers. One of the reasons they did not resist was because it was familiar to their culture. Next to the Temple, archaeologists have discovered more than 50 immersion tanks (Mikvot) that were for those coming to be ritually cleansed before making their sacrifice at the Temple.

5. Peter was not the first Pope! Peter, a Jew, was only the leader of the first Jewish believers for a few years. He turned over the reigns to Jacob (we will talk about him in a minute) the brother of Yeshua and began to travel, sharing the message of Salvation through Yeshua. There is zero evidence that Peter was the Bishop of Rome or that he passed down such a mantle to anyone else.  He was a Jewish fisherman who became one of the greatest communicators of Yeshua’s message of Salvation. He never stopped living as a Jew, and certainly never referred to himself as Catholic. Oh, and the Bible states very clearly that Peter had a mother-n-law, which would lead me to believe he had a wife, and for some strange reason, Catholic priests (including the Pope) are forbidden to wed.

6. James is not the name of the fellow who wrote the Book of James or who led the first Jewish believers in Acts 15. James would be a great name for a butler, or chauffeur or even a king…but not a Jew in the first century. His name was Jacob! The Latin for James and Jacob are very close and because of a linguistic confusion, James became the English for Ya’akov (Jacob) in the New Covenant.

7. Yeshua died on Passover, rose from the dead on the Jewish Feast of Firstfruits and the Holy Spirit was poured out on Jerusalem on the Feast of Weeks (Shavuot). These are three of the most significant days in history, and God caused each one of them to happen on the three most significant days to Jews during the spring of 30CE. It is as if God was saying, “Hey, don’t forget that this started with the Jews in Jerusalem!” And still, the Church sadly forgot.

8. Paul never changed his name. The Bible merely mentions the fact that Saul was also called Paul. (Acts 13:9) Like most Jews, he had a name that was common to the people where he lived (Roman Empire) and a Hebrew name. The idea that he got rid of his Jewish name is unbiblical and frankly ignorant. I too was given an English name when I born, Ron, and a Hebrew one, Chaim.

9. The entire New Testament was written by Jews. There is some controversy whether or not Luke was Jewish (I have heard strong arguments for both views), but every other writer was Jewish.

CLICK TO SHARE

10. Communion was instituted at a Passover Seder. Yeshua picked up the Afikomen, a special piece of matzah (unleavened bread) used during the Passover Seder and he lifted the third cup of four that are blessed during the Passover meal, the Cup of Redemption, and asked that his Jewish disciples continue this Jewish tradition.

BONUS: All of the original followers of Yeshua were Jewish. And once Gentiles began to believe in Him, there were many that felt that in order for non-Jews to believe in the Jewish Messiah, they had to covert to Judaism first. In the end (Acts 15), it was decided that they didn’t need to. But never did it enter the mind of the Jewish followers of Yeshua that they were no longer Jewish!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

Shalom John, 

What is the source of this post please? URL?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

Thanks all, especially John D.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/1/2017 at 2:24 PM, Vickilynn said:

Shalom John, 

What is the source of this post please? URL?

Sorry, I can't remember and it's not where I'd store or bookmark it.

On 9/1/2017 at 3:05 PM, Vickilynn said:

Thanks!

I guess I got them from the url in the OP. I just copied and pasted them here on the chance others wouldn't click on the OP url

It seems to be the same.

This was a whole month ago and I'm an old timer. Memory aint what it used to be...

http://messiahsmandate.org/ten-jewish-facts-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-testament/?utm_content=buffer9439d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Thumbs Up 1

My biggest bugaboo is how in the Roman hijacking of Christianity, reinventing the thing from a Jewish faith in God to a Gentile religion was the mandate.

And the Roman Catholic Church (and it's Protestant stepchildren) expunged the faith of everything Jewish it could.

Don't get me wrong, I am not idolizing Judaism / Jews (as I saw Vickilynn rightly comment about elsewhere) because it has become in the last 2000 years (in the words of non-Messianic Jew Michael Medved): Not-the-Christianity rather than Judaism. Not how Jewish they are as much as how not Christian they are. That sort of thing.

The Jewish scholar Paul essentially taught the simplicity and practical means through which God desires to have an ongoing relationship with individuals he deems sons and daughters princes and princesses and servants and friends: priests before him one and all of us. It can be hard at times but it is not complicated. The difficulty comes from a lack of submission mostly. We fail at this or at that or at something else because we do not submit to God as God and we take divine matters unto ourselves.

God already knows everything we will ever do or not do. 

Even when we despair or even grumble so long as we are honest with God (actually ourselves since he knows it all already) and leave being God up to God...

the instructions are simple.

Do what you do in life unto the LORD. And you will find in most cases it's the same as when you didn't. Only now you are blessed.

It's a kind of opening up to God (who wants very much to be a part of every one of our lives).

Have you ever found yourself put out or even yelling at someone who just loves you and wants to be with you?

How often we treat God that way. :(

• Thumbs Up 1