• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

We are having a German exchange student next year and we would like to learn a little about German culture and customs and such. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

The first time I went to a playground in Berlin, I freaked. All the German parents were huddled together, drinking coffee, not paying attention to their children who were hanging off a wooden dragon 20 feet above a sand pit. Where were the piles of soft padded foam? The liability notices? The personal injury lawyers?

Achtung! Nein!” I cried in my bad German. Both kids and parents ignored me.

Contrary to stereotypes, most German parents I've met are the opposite of strict. They place a high value on independence and responsibility. Those parents at the park weren't ignoring their children; they were trusting them. Berlin doesn't need a “free range parenting” movement because free range is the norm.

Here are a few surprising things Berlin parents do:

Don't push reading. Berlin's kindergartens or “kitas” don't emphasize academics. In fact, teachers and other parents discouraged me from teaching my children to read. I was told it was something special the kids learn together when they start grade school. Kindergarten was a time for play and social learning. But even in first grade, academics aren't pushed very hard. Our grade school provides a half-day of instruction interrupted by two (two!) outdoor recesses. But don't think this relaxed approach means a poor education: According to a 2012 assessment by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, German 15-year-olds perform well above the international average when it comes to reading, math and science while their more pressured American counterparts lag behind. http://time.com/3720541/how-to-parent-like-a-german/

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  762
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1982

Hi. I think that is a good of you to learn about some German traditions etc or even better learn some key German words!

German folk are polite ('please',  'Thankyou's', hand-shakes .....

Good Morning-Guten Morgen

Good Night-Gute Nacht

Welcome-wilkommen

are you hungry-Hast Du Hunger?

sleep -schlaffen

Thankyou -Danke

Please-Bitte schön

Bless you(after a sneeze) --Gesundheit!

-German culture will vary slightly from area to area -language,dialect, food preferences, etc. So you may want to familiarize yourself with some German history -or city knowledge from where your student is coming from !  They'll appreciate your interest.  German people are very smart -and they like conversing.

Most German students  learn English in school (at least that's how it used to be) so you should be able to communicate easily. Remember, they are coming to learn Your Language!!!

-German Folk -enjoy good food!

Breakfast-- cup of aromatic,fresh (emphasize FRESH)Coffee and Crispy fresh buns for breakfast(Brötchen),jams,various cheeses, Nutella)

Lunch -aka 'Mittag Essen' -typically is  the Heavier meal of the day. -however She/hewill easily adapt to North American routines !! -Enjoy home made meals (potatoes, meat dishes, a  veggies etc) 

Supper meal -(usually the lighter meal) -open-faced sandwhiches /rye breads, pumpernickel breads -a variety of different sliced meats, cheeses, set out with on a nicely decorated table! 

-German folk take pride in nice Table presentation-especially if company over!!! : pretty crisp table cloths, table settings, napkins !  Cups and saucers!!

And do not forget the German Folk -appreciate a beautifully baked cake! 

(Layered chocolate cake or Blackforest Cake, or even a BAKED cheese cake -which is different from a North American cheese cake!) fruit cakes [Honey -sighs]....

So this is the time to perhaps think about a couple of recipes to have ready for Sunday afternoon!  (A traditional day for visiting)

Afternoon 'Coffee' --Having people (friends or family) company for 'Kaffe  und Kuchen'.. is traditional .  Once again setting the table with a nice table cloth, best dish setting, cups and saucers and a beautiful cake (or two!)  Germans love their fruit Torte (flan cake with a layer of fruit) and alway -always make sure there is  whipping cream!!!! 

I suppose the most important -thing is they will want to learn about your culture and City -Country History!

-brush up on Your country's History

-plan to visit a Museum 

-be knowledgeable about the exhibits in the miseum or other art artifacts etc. !!