• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, CCole1983 said:

If she was at a prayer meeting, church meeting, Bible study, city mission, then fine. If she was giving an interview about her beliefs, then great. If she was sharing the gospel with someone, wonderful. If she's trying to play to the political base that elected Trump, then I see it as Jesus' words being hijacked.

Yes, but there's no proof that's what she was doing, that is an inference. There is no reason to believe that she was doing that. Without evidence that she was doing it for that reason, I see no reason to take offense. A Christian is a Christians when at bible studies or church meetings or prayer meetings or at political rallies or at the grocery store.

1 minute ago, Steve_S said:

Yes, but there's no proof that's what she was doing, that is an inference. There is no reason to believe that she was doing that. Without evidence that she was doing it for that reason, I see no reason to take offense. A Christian is a Christians when at bible studies or church meetings or prayer meetings or at political rallies or at the grocery store.

I agree with that.

What I don't agree with is "Look at me quote the Lord's Prayer. Aren't I a good Christian? Now be sure to vote Republican." If she's at a campaign rally, it's likely she was using The Lord's Prayer for political points. Which is ironic as it makes reference to God's Kingdom, not worldly kingdoms.

4 minutes ago, CCole1983 said:

I agree with that.

What I don't agree with is "Look at me quote the Lord's Prayer. Aren't I a good Christian? Now be sure to vote Republican." If she's at a campaign rally, it's likely she was using The Lord's Prayer for political points. Which is ironic as it makes reference to God's Kingdom, not worldly kingdoms.

It wasn't a campaign rally though. It was just basically a speech given to supporters. He won't be campaigning for years, in the traditional sense. Also, I don't find that to be "likely." That's an assumption with no evidence. Perhaps she thought it would be good to pray for the simple reason that prayer is a good thing. I see no reason to ascribe motive to anything. Trump did not run a rigorously religious campaign that had a big focus on Jesus. He got the evangelical vote mostly with promising supreme court pics, not by praying his way through campaign rallies across the country. She mostly stayed home with their son while he was out doing rallies, so there's not much in the way of previous experience with her being at events like this. I see no reason to impeach this woman's motives with absolutely no evidence, particularly being as she professes to be a follower of Christ. We are supposed to have more evidence than simple inferences to make such a claim as this.

1 minute ago, Steve_S said:

It wasn't a campaign rally though. It was just basically a speech given to supporters. He won't be campaigning for years, in the traditional sense. Also, I don't find that to be "likely." That's an assumption with no evidence. Perhaps she thought it would be good to pray for the simple reason that prayer is a good thing. I see no reason to ascribe motive to anything. Trump did not run a rigorously religious campaign that had a big focus on Jesus. He got the evangelical vote mostly with promising supreme court pics, not by praying his way through campaign rallies across the country. She mostly stayed home with their son while he was out doing rallies, so there's not much in the way of previous experience with her being at events like this. I see no reason to impeach this woman's motives with absolutely no evidence, particularly being as she professes to be a follower of Christ. We are supposed to have more evidence than simple inferences to make such a claim as this.

Well I hope you're right. I've just seen too many people take Jesus' words, both on the right and even on the left, and try to score political points out of them. It disgusts me.

2 minutes ago, CCole1983 said:

Well I hope you're right. I've just seen too many people take Jesus' words, both on the right and even on the left, and try to score political points out of them. It disgusts me.

The bible basically lays out specific contexts and procedures for accusing the brethren. Doing so without evidence is not a line i would cross personally. It's really not about being right or wrong, it's about the fact that we are so polarized that we just numbly assume any person doing anything that may not actually have a nefarious motive, has a nefarious motive. We are supposed to treat people as individual people and situations as individual cases, not just make raw assumptions based on expectations.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  8

20 minutes ago, CCole1983 said:

If she was at a prayer meeting, church meeting, Bible study, city mission, then fine. If she was giving an interview about her beliefs, then great. If she was sharing the gospel with someone, wonderful. If she's trying to play to the political base that elected Trump, then I see it as Jesus' words being hijacked.

31 minutes ago, worthy said:

I was looking at a CBN interview of it and it was her decision to open up the rally with the lords prayer. She said she has been a christian for awhile and her family has been christian for awhille. She also said her faith is very strong. She also said that she was baptised on Donald trumps birthday when she was young.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

4 hours ago, CCole1983 said:

Yes, Jesus' words are relevant for believers. And if believers wouldn't try to put Jesus' stamp of approval on political parties, but instead lived by them, perhaps we'd come to realize that using His words for political ends is wrong, especially when we are to seek first His Kingdom, which =/= the United States.

5 hours ago, CCole1983 said:

I don't appreciate seeing Jesus' words used in partisan politics. He wasn't a product of the Right or the Left. And neither to the left or the right I will turn.

The trouble is one side of the political spectrum has been fighting against Jesus. 

So unless you actually want to live in a nation that is ruled by the atheist decree . . . .

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

4 hours ago, CCole1983 said:

What I don't agree with is "Look at me quote the Lord's Prayer. Aren't I a good Christian? Now be sure to vote Republican." If she's at a campaign rally, it's likely she was using The Lord's Prayer for political points. ...

Why do you believe this was the intention of her heart?

Guest shiloh357
7 hours ago, CCole1983 said:

I agree with that.

Who are you that you should sit in judgement on her motives?  How do you know it was for political points?  

And why would a Christian condemn the reading of the Lord's prayer?   I mean, shouldn't political events be the ideal place to be reminded of Jesus' words?  

Guest shiloh357
7 hours ago, CCole1983 said:

I don't appreciate seeing Jesus' words used in partisan politics. He wasn't a product of the Right or the Left. And neither to the left or the right I will turn.

What partisan politics???