IGNORED

Why is speaking in tounges controversal?

Heavenunlimited

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,542
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

I spoke in a unknown tougue when I was a teenager.I did not want to and I was alone just praying. When I started to praise God I felt something touch my head and it felt like warm water flow through me to my feet on the inside and then words come out of me I could not understand.  I believe in it. But  it happen just once. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  216
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

1 Corinthians 13 -10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.        The subject is love if we don't have it these things are of little value. When perfect love comes these things will pass away. The mirror seems to be pretty foggy on this subject. We can walk in love and to the degree we do these gifts are all profitable. The tongues being the least but still of value. Put there by the Spirit. And with all the gifts are  to be as a result of His prompting. And where He is there isn't confusion or fear. There has been serious error with the gifts for sure and tongues seems to be the one that is focus on the most.  Paul in ch. 14 vs..1  says to pursue love another words it is something we have to make a priority as we desire the gifts they cant be effective without it. The Corinthians were lacking in the pursuit of love and therefore in error not only with tongues but in just about all the gifts. Chapters 12-13and 14 are a love sandwich the meat is in the middle. Without the meat its not much of a sandwich. The Corinthians were babies according to Paul. As them being a measuring stick i wonder were the church in America should be rated ?   Perfect Love casts out fear!                             1 John4;17-18     17 By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. 19 We love, because He first loved us.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

15 hours ago, Yowm said:

That's simply conjecture on your part.

I don't usually conjecture. This is about SPIRITUAL GIFTS, not ordinary knowledge. Hence "manifestation of the Spirit".

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.  For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; (1 Cor 12:7,8).

Guest BacKaran

What is the Assemblies of God Church, and what do they believe?

Question: "What is the Assemblies of God Church, and what do they believe?"

Answer: 
The Assemblies of God is one of the largest Pentecostal denominations, with 57 million adherents worldwide. It was organized in 1914 to promote unity and doctrinal stability among groups that had been influenced by the Pentecostal revivals of the early 1900s, revivals which were the result of a desire to see an increase in God's power in churches and individuals. Many people spent long hours in prayer, seeking a fresh infusion of the Spirit. Following the teachings of Charles Parham, these people were expecting speaking in tongues as an evidence of the Holy Spirit's baptism. The first popularly acknowledged revival was at Azusa Street in Los Angeles, 1906-1909. From that movement, several churches were formed, and in April 1914, meetings were held in Hot Springs, Arkansas, which led to the formation of the Assemblies of God. Eudorus Bell, formerly a Southern Baptist preacher, was appointed as the first chairman of the denomination. 

The core doctrines of the Assemblies of God are salvation by repentance and faith, Holy Spirit baptism as evidenced by speaking in tongues, divine healing as an expected part of salvation, and the imminent Second Coming of Jesus Christ. Like many other Pentecostal churches, their doctrine of salvation follows the teachings of Jacob Arminius (1560-1609) in that believers can fall from grace as a result of persistent, unrepentant sin. The need for personal repentance and faith in Jesus' substitutionary death for sin is the cornerstone of salvation (Luke 24:46-47). Regarding the baptism of the Spirit, the official emphasis of the church is on the need for power from on high to witness, not on an experience or bubbly feelings. Even though this is the official statement of the church, it is easily observed that some Assemblies of God preachers have given an inordinate focus on the ecstatic experiences like being slain in the Spirit and “holy laughter”. On the doctrine of divine healing, again there is a discrepancy between the official position and that of some teachers. The Assemblies of God website states that the same faith that saves also heals and that preachers don't heal – only God does. Believers are called to pray and leave the outcome to God. Yet some of the more infamous faith healers who have been ordained in the Assemblies of God portray themselves as special avenues of God's healing. 

The emphasis of the Assemblies of God churches has always been evangelism and missions, and faith healing crusades have often been a key element of that work. While many people have evidently been brought to saving faith through the faithful work of Assemblies of God churches, there have also been a significant number of problems associated with their ministries. Benny Hinn, Morris Cerullo, Jim Bakker, and Jimmy Swaggart all received their ministry credentials through the Assemblies of God and have been repeatedly involved in scandals. The Toronto blessing (laughing revival) and Brownsville (Pensacola) Revival were both led by Assemblies of God churches and have led to a wide range of biblically questionable practices. Even though revival and healing campaigns have been a hallmark of Assemblies of God ministries for years, there is little evidence to show that God was at work in those campaigns. In the cities where many thousands supposedly came to Christ, there has been no noticeable decrease in crime or divorce, and even though hundreds have claimed healing, there are no documented cases of visibly evident healing (like restored limbs or reversed diseases).

There are many deeply committed believers within the Assemblies of God, and we ought to love them as brothers and sisters in Christ. Within that fellowship are also many people who have been confused by the emphasis on healing and signs and the false doctrines taught by a few noteworthy teachers. Any time we give preeminence to emotional experience over the clear teaching of the Word, we open the door to potentially harmful doctrines. First Thessalonians 5:21 commands us to “prove all things; hold fast that which is good.” As believers, we ought to carefully examine every teaching and practice, compare it to the Word of God, and hold on to only those things which are upright by that standard.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  9

On 2/21/2017 at 5:17 PM, warrior12 said:

So let's ask the question.   Fundamental Baptist don't speak in tongues and i never heard one do so.  Does God only favor one sect of evangelicals with the gift and the rest well, they don't need it.   Some explanation of this is needed.  As if it is a gift, it would be given across belivers.  As is stands, mainly pentecostals, chrasmatics and i hear some catholics now speak in tongues.    

I don't want to seem as degrading those who does speak in tongues, but i attended and visited a few pentecostal churches and did not see it practiced as the Bible say it is done.   Usually at the end of the service, altar call would be made and lots of tongues and the slaying of the spirit would take place.  Those spirits would try to come upon me and i would rebuke it.    Then one time if felt like a arrow or bullet was shot right in the middle of my heart, then i confirmed some things.   Satan is a master deceiver, and he will seduce you and tempt you will all his tricks.   If the Lord has a gift for you, he knows how to release that to you with confirmation.    Test the spirits.   

Actually some fundalmental baptist do recieve the gift of tounges from the Lord not people (bible clearly states they Lord chooses the gifts we are given not people. Romans 12, 1 cor 12) and the poor baptists end up being outcast of their fellowship because of the doctrin. About 15 years ago here in Texas a block down the street from where  i live neighbors and members of the fundamintal baptist church recieved gifts and tounges from the Lord  in a Baptist bible study called Experiancing God. They tried to manage it by asking members who recieved gifts and talked about it to leave. But when most the elders and the pastor recieved gifts in a baptist seminary credit class called "prayers the avail much" things got touchy with the Baptist convention. The church is a community fellowship not fundamental baptist anymore. They raised the money and were able to repay their loans to the baptist convention and its a member owned and funded church.

Your logic isnt rational to me. if you do not teach about Jesus or if you teach a false christs and false doctrines about christ most people are not going to seek the lord in faith or truth for salvation or the leading of the Holy Spirit or anything they are lied to about and be decieved 

Paul clearly goes out of his way to teach cclearly in any laungage about the gifts,  who gives them to us why we recieve different gifts, how to use the gifts, what the gifts are for, the gifts given to us by Gods choosing for Gods purposes. Christ involment of leading the church. Also warnings to help us dicern the truth from lies, dicern spirits, how to weight things against our knowledge of Christ.

There are no clear verses written that say the gifts end before the coming of Christ. So it is not really following what is written. Its following what your taught and maybe some fear of being decieved( like the talent barried) 

The lord gives the gift of dicernment and elders and teachers and prophets and evangelist to protect the truth. Holy Spirit reminds us of Gods word and Jesus is in us maKing God known to us. Jesus is the head and has taking personal responsibility for our salvation and to present us acceptable to God.

I fill alot safer from satans deception  with the Lords Holy Spirit LEADING in truth, the gifts from Jesus and being taught truth by the Holy Spirit according to the promises of our Lord Jesus then have that truth confirmed by Gods word. I would be completely afraid depending on faulable mans teaching what the word means instead of what it says. You can read those scriptures 50 times in context out of context in greek, latin and english and they do not say what people say they mean. Ill stick to "what is written". Not saying your not a brother or Christ isnt in you. Just saying men being lead by men that cant even keep a story straight in a game of telephone is like riding a blind folded horse with long feet  on a steep narrow path to eternal life ( im respectful and submit to authority but if Gods word does not say it clearly im not parroting it, teaching it or believing the doctrin). probably scares me more then your penticostal experiance when people start saying "it means" when i am looking at "what is said". it is like watching the enchantment of deception some people believe the wine turns to blood. The priest is saying its changed to blood but there aint no blood in that cup, its wine. Like the emperiors new close everyone is afraid to shouts out "your nekid"because of the shunning and labeling and mocking built in to protect lies. When Jesus changed something it is changed. When Jesus is in you, you have gifts and the teach is provided.

Jesus said all day long you search scriptures because you think you will find eternal life in them but you refuse to come to me that i might give you life. So Jesus makes it very clear. Eternal life is not in the scripture it is in Him who the scriptures testify of and they have testified the Lord has given gifts for the church and we know we need them Till he returns. 

Edited by Reinitin
Spelling edit one finger phone mess.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:14 PM, other one said:

I think it's because some people don't.   that's just my personal opinion.   You may not think it's so great when the Lord drags you out of bed at 2 AM praying for someone in trouble....  that is usually kind of traumatic.  

That depends on how you view service to Christ and your fellow man! Are you willing, or begrudged to said request.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Yowm said:

There are two extremes. One says 'no way' to the gifts and the other are the crazies that interrupt prayer meetings with tongues in order to 'show off'.

I would watch what you dare to utter sir.

Mark 3:28-30

28Truly I tell you, the sons of men will be forgiven all sins and blasphemies, as many as they utter. 29But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of eternal sin.”

30Jesus made this statement because they were claiming, “He has an unclean spirit.”

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:48 PM, other one said:

I have trouble praying out loud in our Nazarene Church for tongues just aren't done there as far as I know....    but sometimes in the middle of a prayer you just know someone needs something and it just won't come out in English....   Then when you hesitate with your prayer people think you are in a mental block and interrupt or take over.  I've talked with our pastor and he's ok with me just not praying out loud in the church services.

Praise God he gives you the desire to intercede for others. If God is giving you this gift and you want to walk it out you might need to find a church the supports spiritual growth and works in the Spirit.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, missmuffet said:

I think speaking in tongues ceased in the NT and it is not required today. What is the point of it? Jesus did not speak in tongues so why should we?

Tongues never ceased being a gift, just like it never ceased being a threat to satan and his plans. the gift of tongues is just that a Gift from God, not to be taken lightly, and sure not to be mocked. The gift of tongues is to edify the church and made as a private prayer language. The level of your comfort and use of the speaking in tongues is individual and is a be answered or rejected, as God gives us free will to except his gifts, or reject them. The Holy Spirit is a gentleman and does not bring forth the gift unless you are willing, and in a place physically, and spiritually to exercise it.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, warrior12 said:

So let's ask the question.   Fundamental Baptist don't speak in tongues and i never heard one do so.  Does God only favor one sect of evangelicals with the gift and the rest well, they don't need it.   Some explanation of this is needed.  As if it is a gift, it would be given across belivers.  As is stands, mainly pentecostals, chrasmatics and i hear some catholics now speak in tongues.    

I don't want to seem as degrading those who does speak in tongues, but i attended and visited a few pentecostal churches and did not see it practiced as the Bible say it is done.   Usually at the end of the service, altar call would be made and lots of tongues and the slaying of the spirit would take place.  Those spirits would try to come upon me and i would rebuke it.    Then one time if felt like a arrow or bullet was shot right in the middle of my heart, then i confirmed some things.   Satan is a master deceiver, and he will seduce you and tempt you will all his tricks.   If the Lord has a gift for you, he knows how to release that to you with confirmation.    Test the spirits.   

see above response,

Plus not all denominations or pastors agree with or walk in the spiritual gifts as others. Your alvation comes by one path only. The use of the gifts of the spirit are just that gifts for you to use as you mature and desire to use them. many Christians never progress in Christ past where they feel comfortable. when a pastor gets to a level they don't want to go past, congregation members either follow them to that level and stay under there authority. If a believer feels the pull of Christ beyond that point, or desires to walk fuller in the Lord they will move to another church, that allows them to walk fuller in the fruits of God. Denomination is not Christianity, and Christianity isn't a denomination. Denominations are a set of beliefs set forth by a group to a spiritual level and draw others to Christ and teach there beliefs and walk out their faith based on those beliefs. some walk fuller in the gifts of God then others. as long as they teach the WORD of God and stand on John 3:16, well they are on the right path.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:07 PM, OneLight said:

Have you studied the gifts yet?  Read 1 Corinthians 12 thru 14.  In chapter 14 you will see two kinds of tongues mentioned.  One is a personal prayer language where one speaks to God directly, which I do often when I am alone and praying.  Sometimes out loud, sometimes not.  I don't know what I am praying for, but have faith that the Holy Spirit knows.  The other is when someone gives a message in church where it needs to have an interpretation, or they should cease.

I am not of any denomination.  I just believe scripture.

I agree with this!

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, Guest said:

It's the most controversial because of all the gifts it's the easiest to fake. It's also one of the major ones that those on TBN like to go to in order to demonstrate how in the Spirit they are.

Yet in scripture it was called the least of the gifts. But in most Charismatic or Pentecostal churches, without it, you're not really saved.

there are many wolves in sheeps clothing. The question is what are the using the gift for?  No it isn't easy to fake. they will be known by there fruits, And God will not be mocked. You know if they are in the spirit by there actions. Do they bust out a word in another language while in a conversation? do they get to praying and suddenly have a sudden string of works in another language ( does the prayer and tongues fit or does it seem out of place)? God gives you decrement use it.

Name a church that says without walking in the gifts, you aren't saved, and I will show you a back sliden, pagan church!

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:03 PM, Ezra said:

No, actually that is simply hyperbole, since no human beings would have a clue about angelic language, and in Scripture angels ALWAYS speak in human language.  What Paul is saying is that even if my tongue-speaking were so exalted as to be angelic language, and I do not have charity/agape/love in my heart, it is meaningless.

When you study what is taught about tongues in 1 Corinthians, Paul is correcting the Corinthians, and therefore all the modern fuss about tongues resembles the Corinthian confusion.  (1) It is the LEAST of the gifts, (2) not all will speak in tongues, and (3) Paul says he would rather speak FIVE intelligible words of teaching than 10,000 words in tongues! That should really settle the matter.

Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. (1 Cor 14:19).

All the spiritual gifts are for the edification of others, therefore  "in the church" (assembly).  Private self-edification is simply not taught regarding tongues.

first The Holy spirit isn't a angel, it is the Spirit of God. Angelic language isn't praying in tongues as it is. Praying in tongues is private language unto to God bringing forth petition, and offering of praise unto God as the Spirit enables (closet language as the spirit draws us unto doing it and us answering by being willing). Praying in public, ( for people in the spirit) is use for edifying the church and for praying as when we do not know what to pray.

Angelic language is praise to God, and is personal, it isn't a prayer or a petition unto God. Angels don't pray, they Praise. so it is separate things you are using in your comment.

Paul was saying I would rather Pray for other to understand and further others walk in Christ then pray where others don't understand, and might not have the understanding of God and his ways, and it not serve their needs or further the kingdom of God.

Paul unlike you trying to make it seem, didn't condemn, or cast off praying in the spirit. He said he would rather say little in English in others hearing so they might glorify God, then speak in a language and in a way the listener might not understand as a gift of God or it's use and not benefit from said language.

Edited by WholeyGod'schild

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, WholeyGod'schild said:

That depends on how you view service to Christ and your fellow man! Are you willing, or begrudged to said request.

doesn't matter on how you view it: the urgency of it can be intense when you come out of a deep sleep....   and I never ever consider others problems in a positive way.   It's traumatic because I care.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  2,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

3 hours ago, WholeyGod'schild said:

Plus not all denominations or pastors agree with or walk in the spiritual gifts as others. Your alvation comes by one path only. The use of the gifts of the spirit are just that gifts for you to use as you mature and desire to use them. many Christians never progress in Christ past where they feel comfortable. when a pastor gets to a level they don't want to go past, congregation members either follow them to that level and stay under there authority. If a believer feels the pull of Christ beyond that point, or desires to walk fuller in the Lord they will move to another church, that allows them to walk fuller in the fruits of God. Denomination is not Christianity, and Christianity isn't a denomination. Denominations are a set of beliefs set forth by a group to a spiritual level and draw others to Christ and teach there beliefs and walk out their faith based on those beliefs. some walk fuller in the gifts of God then others. as long as they teach the WORD of God and stand on John 3:16, well they are on the right path.

While you statement above sounds reasonable, it is nevertheless still questionable.   You are right, denominations is not Christianity, but we know and cannot pretend to bypass the fact that in some denominations, the so called speaking in tongues is not evident and you cannot suppress a gift that is given by God.  According to my understanding and to Acts, the spirit falls upon that person and they speak the language and it is an automatic experience.   My point was and if one put some thought into what i am portraying and also being realistic of the facts that some denomination does not have that evidence in their service and meetings shows a divide in this area of worship and the gift of tongues.  It is an issue that has always intrigued me and thus my question.   Most Baptist are loyal in their following and way of worship and to say many may or have left to go to churches where they can practice their gifts is questionable.     You are right, the Lord knows no denominations, but his children, therefore his gifts would be given across the board to every segmented parts of his people.  Therefore my question as to the divide in this area.

As you know, the Pentecostal and Charismatic  way of worship is quite different from, let's say a baptist service.  The pentecostals use music and the tempo of [if i may use this term] invoking this spirit or as some would say inviting this spirit to come and fill the place.  I have been in too much spiritual  warfare situations and knows how satan and his minions tries to decieve, even the christian into his camp. while i can talk about those things, i choose not to do so on a forum.    Who has the so called gift of tongues, then use it wisely, but as for me i have not received any of that and the gift of the Holy Spirit has been sufficient in my walk.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  2,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

6 hours ago, Reinitin said:

Actually some fundalmental baptist do recieve the gift of tounges from the Lord not people (bible clearly states they Lord chooses the gifts we are given not people. Romans 12, 1 cor 12) and the poor baptists end up being outcast of their fellowship because of the doctrin.

Well there are millions of Fundamental Baptist and if the gift of tongues are being distributed or given by God, would it not be in masses and across every true Bible believers no matter the denomination.   But this is not evident.  A few cases like you mentions might be the case, but it is not something i have heard taking place in great numbers.   Well God do as he pleases and  he chooses who would receive his gifts.  I just find the speaking of tongues to be absent in many of the segmented places of worship and sought an explanation.   Everyone who demonstrate the gift of tongues has to be truthful about their experiences .   From my experience, satan can do things supernaturally .  Those who have actually engage with spiritual warfare would attest to that.   

Edited by warrior12

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

i was a baptist when i started speaking in tongues and I know several Baptists that pray in tongues as I do.....     We just don't make a bit issue out of it.