IGNORED

Why is speaking in tounges controversal?

Heavenunlimited

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  711
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

23 hours ago, enoob57 said:

Out of context of what I've said quote... the whole of the point is todays  tongue speaking is done without interpretation  

1 Cor 14 specifically deals with tongues that have no one interpreting - and does not condemn them as fake - but rather as something to be done at home alone - well engaged in at home - when in church there is no interpretation. That specific case is addressed in scripture.

But today's fake tongues would be fake even if someone else in the crowd claimed to have suddenly been inspired with "the meaning" of the tongue. Because today's version is mere gibberish. Gibberish with or without an interpretation is "not a sign to unbelievers" and in 1 Cor 14 says that tongues is specifically "a sign to unbelievers"

12 hours ago, PlanetChee said:

Acts 2:11 "Both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.”

Isaiah 28:11-13 For by people of strange lips and with a foreign tongue the Lord will speak to this people, to whom he has said, “This is rest; give rest to the weary; and this is repose”; yet they would not hear. And the word of the Lord will be to them precept upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little, that they may go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

I think tongues are controversial today because as an example of what I've heard from certain TV ministries, people don't believe it is real. Because it sounds like gibberish.

Indeed. Not only is the fake tongues of today "not a sign to unbelievers" but rather even believers see it as "mere gibberish"

13 hours ago, firestormx said:

I know of one. We lived in Alaska when I was a kid. During one of the services, the spirit moved and my mother began speaking in tongues. Nothing out of the usual for my mom or the church.  No interpretation was given during the service and the service moved on. After the service was over we were approached by these people. One of them began to speak to my mom in a language I didn't understand. My mom explained she didn't understand them or the language they were speaking. It turns out this family wanted to be in church. But there was an older woman with them that spoke no English and wasn't saved. She was a native Eskimo and that was the only language she spoke. They told my mom that when she stood up and spoke in the service that she had spoken in this Eskimo's native language perfectly, talking about Jesus and the salvation that is only in him.

It is easy to understand how speaking in a tongue that is a real language known only by someone not of your culture... even a non-Christian not of your culture - would "be a sign" to that unbeliever that you do indeed have the Spirit of God and that the Gospel is the real deal. This is not what is being objected to so far.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

34 minutes ago, BobRyan said:

1 Cor 14 specifically deals with tongues that have no one interpreting - and does not condemn them as fake - but rather as something to be done at home alone - well engaged in at home - when in church there is no interpretation. That specific case is addressed in scripture.

But today's fake tongues would be fake even if someone else in the crowd claimed to have suddenly been inspired with "the meaning" of the tongue. Because today's version is mere gibberish. Gibberish with or without an interpretation is "not a sign to unbelievers" and in 1 Cor 14 says that tongues is specifically "a sign to unbelievers"

no it condemns them if done in a public assembly without interpretation... which make this whole examination moot!

46 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

no it condemns them if done in a public assembly without interpretation... which make this whole examination moot!

It does not condemn them for not knowing in advance that no one would be able to interpret - it merely instructs them that after this is found out for that day - determine to do this alone at home. But next time you meet - you are free to do it again unless at that time too - no interpretation. This is instruction on how to wisely use the 'real gift'. 

But no matter if you have interpretation at all - a fake gift is still fake. That does not apply to the real gift.

I have seen the fake gift - accompanied with fake interpretation. It was still fake. The one interpreting "got the good feel" of what to say but never claims they actually know the language -- in the case of the fake gift.

Edited by BobRyan

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  1

Recall Acts 2? Tongues was known languages. Link Acts 2

Context in Paul's writings here is key . 1 Corinthians 14 

Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?

For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

1Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Content Per Day:  16.70

7 hours ago, Giller said:

And what usually gets interpreted is unknown tongues and not other tongues.

And here are 3 instances, were people spoke in tongues, whether it be other tongues or unknown, were there was no evidence of interpretation.

Act 2:1-6
(1)  And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
(2)  And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
(3)  And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
(4)  And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
(5)  And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
(6)  Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Act 10:44-48
(44)  While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
(45)  And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(46)  For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
(47)  Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
(48)  And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Act 19:5-7
(5)  When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
(6)  And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
(7)  And all the men were about twelve.

Tongues in the New Testament always refers to known languages.  I have a hard time believing that every pastor on Sunday afternoon television is actually speaking by the authority of the Holy Spirit.  I could be wrong of course, but as a former speaker of tongues myself, I have my doubts these self-anointed preachers are speaking at the Holy Spirits direction.

Guest Teditis
11 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Tongues in the New Testament always refers to known languages.  I have a hard time believing that ever pastor on Sunday afternoon television is actually speaking by the authority of the Holy Spirit.  I could be wrong of course, but as a former speaker of tongues myself, I have my doubts these self-anointed preachers are speaking at the Holy Spirits direction.

That's not what I read in the Scriptures...

[1Co 13:1 KJV] 1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become [as] sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal

The tongues of angels seems to be talking of an "unknown" language here?

6 hours ago, Teditis said:

That's not what I read in the Scriptures...

[1Co 13:1 KJV] 1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become [as] sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal

The tongues of angels seems to be talking of an "unknown" language here?

So you're basing your beliefs regarding "tongues" on one scripture.  The term identifying the speaking in tongues movement is “glossolalia,” made up of two Greek words, glossa (language or tongue) and lalia (speech).  It means therefore speaking in another language.  Have you heard angels speak often to positively identify there language?  Why is the Holy Spirit speaking in the language of angels?  There are a lot of phony preachers on television and in mega churches that say they are speaking God's truth.  In my opinion based on my experience, not all are.  But as long as you check what you think you're hearing against God's word, I'm not going to condemn you for it.  Your heart is in the right place and you genuinely want to hear and do God's will.  That's what I sense from you.  Shalom my brother in Christ.

54 minutes ago, Giller said:

Well if tongues are being used as a means to preach behind the pulpit, of course no preacher should be preaching in tongues.

But praying in tongues, that is a whole other issue, which it says pray in the spirit and with the understanding.

You might read what I wrote to Teditis above to get a sense where I'm coming from.  I spoke in tongues for about 5 years or so before the Holy Spirit told me that the pastor's teaching was totally off-track and we needed to leave.  The pastor had become heavily influenced by eastern philosophy new age and metaphysical practices.  One day he was fine and the next, he was importing eastern religion into our Sunday worship.  I knew immediately that was wrong in my heart, my wife agreed and we left that mega church.

God knows what's in my heart when I pray.  I don't always have the right words but He knows what I mean without reverting to a language I'm not familiar with.  I'd rather speak plainly to my Father.  I am in no ways condemning you if you believe differently.  Shalom my brother in Christ Jesus.