IGNORED

Why is speaking in tounges controversal?

Heavenunlimited

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,069
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It really, for me, isn't a difficult discernment... as it bypasses God's Word to evaluate the spirit of the thing! As God promises this

2 Timothy 3:15 (KJV)

[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

[17] That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

hence without interpretation in the public arena the Word of God cannot be used to evaluate the activity...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

19 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Another reason Tounges are feared is the Spirit of Jezebel and control. Tounges can lead to the Holy Spirit falling and controlling people don't want the Spirit in control. Why Tounges would offend me is odd, we live in an age when you hear other languages daily, and for some reason Latin and Greek and Slavonic being used in other churches doesn't offend, but Tounges does? 

But is ALL tongue speaking a foreign language? Ask any Pentecostal and they will tell you there's such a thing as a "heavenly" language where the person speaks in a language no one can understand but God. This is what they mean by "praying in the spirit." They claim a Christian cannot pray in the spirit in English.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

Just now, Swords99 said:

But is ALL tongue speaking a foreign language? Ask any Pentecostal and they will tell you there's such a thing as a "heavenly" language where the person speaks in a language no one can understand but God. This is what they mean by "praying in the spirit." They claim a Christian cannot pray in the spirit in English.

Indeed there are several kinds of Tounges, angelic, heavenly, and the kind that allows for Pentecost (Acts 2) to talk to those of another language. What I am saying is the fear of using them is based on, "people might be frightened or not understand the lounges," but is that not the case if a person walked into a Catholic Church hearing Latin, or Orthodox Church using Greek or Slavonic? The people wouldn't understand that either. So the objection over not using tounges because people don't understand cannot stand due to the fact that people don't understand Latin, Greek, or Slavonic when they hear it. 

2 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Indeed there are several kinds of Tounges, angelic, heavenly, and the kind that allows for Pentecost (Acts 2) to talk to those of another language. What I am saying is the fear of using them is based on, "people might be frightened or not understand the lounges," but is that not the case if a person walked into a Catholic Church hearing Latin, or Orthodox Church using Greek or Slavonic? The people wouldn't understand that either. So the objection over not using tounges because people don't understand cannot stand due to the fact that people don't understand Latin, Greek, or Slavonic when they hear it. 

I attended a Pentecostal church years ago. Several men came up front and prayed out loud in tongues. It was quite animated and loud.

I am still on the fence concerning whether tongue speaking is for today. Those Christians who speak in tongues say that Christians who do not, lack power in their ministry. I don't know. The whole thing is confusing. Can the majority of Believers in Jesus Christ be so ignorant on this if tongues is of vital necessity?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

3 minutes ago, Swords99 said:

I attended a Pentecostal church years ago. Several men came up front and prayed out loud in tongues. It was quite animated and loud.

I am still on the fence concerning whether tongue speaking is for today. Those Christians who speak in tongues say that Christians who do not, lack power in their ministry. I don't know. The whole thing is confusing. Can the majority of Believers in Jesus Christ be so ignorant on this if tongues is of vital necessity?

Actually not everyone gets Tounges, I get rather cross when brothers and sisters make non-Tounge speaking people seem like second class citizens. For here is what Scriptures say, "Are all apostles? Not all have gifts of healing, do they? Not all speak in tongues, do they? Not all interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts. And I show to you now a more surpassing way." (1 Corinthians 12:29-31). 

5 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Actually not everyone gets Tounges, I get rather cross when brothers and sisters make non-Tounge speaking people seem like second class citizens. For here is what Scriptures say, "Are all apostles? Not all have gifts of healing, do they? Not all speak in tongues, do they? Not all interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts. And I show to you now a more surpassing way." (1 Corinthians 12:29-31). 

I always heard that the gift of tongues is different from speaking in tongues as evidence of the Holy Spirit baptism.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/13/1979

On 2/21/2017 at 11:01 PM, Heavenunlimited said:

Yes, why?  I have never spoken in tounges, ever, until sitting worship in the kitchen, it came bubbling up while I was singing. I felt this joy, more than other times, and I start to have hard to sing, it bubbled in my throat so I had to suppress it because I wanted to sing! Before and after I have heard tounges in my mind. And Im not charismatics, I dont even have a church as Im looking. All I know, it was there.  But Im aware speak in tounges is controversial and I wonder why especially now when it just..happened.

The reason is clear the Jesus said I go to my Father and I will send you a comforter that is the person of the Holy Spirit that will abide with you and teach you all things and also bring to your remembrance that which he has thought you John 14:26. That is it keep sing songs of praise you will get more revelation God bless you

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  711
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

11 hours ago, Swords99 said:

I always heard that the gift of tongues is different from speaking in tongues as evidence of the Holy Spirit baptism.

Its the same thing in the Bible -- it is just not what  passes for tongues in popular Christianity today.

11 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

That is true. But remember Tongues is almost entirely absent today - the actual gift almost never seen -- especially in Pentecostal and charismatic groups.

Now lets quote a bit more of 1 Cor 12 and 1 Cor 14.

1 Cor 12

27 Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations,  kinds of tongues. 29 All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? 30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? 31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts.

1 Cor 14

1. Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.

10 There are, perhaps, a great many kinds of languages in the world, and no kind is without meaning. 11 If then I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be to the one who speaks a barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a barbarian to me.

16 Otherwise if you bless in the spirit only, how will the one who fills the place of the ungifted say the “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you are saying?

In the Law it is written, “By men of strange tongues and by the lips of strangers I will speak to this people, and even so they will not listen to Me,” says the Lord. 22 So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe.

========================summary

1. The "strangers" speak other languages - other human languages... they are from other nations.

2. Tongues is NOT a sign for believers - but for unbelievers.

3. Tongues do NOT work for unbelievers if they see that you are speaking gibberish instead of their known language.

4. Desire Earnestly spiritual gifts, the greater gifts, especially that you may prophesy.

5. IF the known-human language that is given to you as a "gift" to speak and reach someone from another culture/nature - is given to you but no one in the congregation speaks that language - the refuse to speak it in church as it does not benefit anyone in church. Rather you can maintain that gift by speaking it at home ready to use it when in the presence of an unbeliever that speaks that language.

BUT IF the modern false-tongues claims were true - and it is the immediate action of God the Holy Spirit coming upon you to speak in some heavenly language a message straight from God Himself - WHO ARE YOU to say to God "NO God! you are not doing this right! you must back off and only do this with Me at my house since no one here has interpretation for what you are saying... I command you to cease and wait -- until I am at home"?? Rather such a thing would be blasphemy against God (IF the modern counterfeit definition were remotely true.)

The upside down aspect of the modern phenomena is a "sign" that it is entirely counterfeit not at all what the Bible is even talking about.

That last post needs to be read and re-read carefully particularly the summary -- by anyone reading this thread - with a true desire to have Biblical Spiritual gifts or to understand the teaching of the Bible on that doctrine.