IGNORED

Why is speaking in tounges controversal?

Heavenunlimited

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  2

Yes, why?  I have never spoken in tounges, ever, until sitting worship in the kitchen, it came bubbling up while I was singing. I felt this joy, more than other times, and I start to have hard to sing, it bubbled in my throat so I had to suppress it because I wanted to sing! Before and after I have heard tounges in my mind. And Im not charismatics, I dont even have a church as Im looking. All I know, it was there.  But Im aware speak in tounges is controversial and I wonder why especially now when it just..happened.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,768
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  270

I think it's because some people don't.   that's just my personal opinion.   You may not think it's so great when the Lord drags you out of bed at 2 AM praying for someone in trouble....  that is usually kind of traumatic.  

Well when I went to church my side christian she praayed silentlty in tounges..  If now they do that or ask before they do..  In my old church they told me tounges have ceased, but that some get it. And that it was mostly charismatics, other said oh, you dont wanna be near those! And others, be wary it might be other spirits. And here I sit. Never bothered about it never cared and then, it happened. So,  thats all I know. Now I wonder, how can you be sure its of God? As some said to me before be careful it might not be. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,768
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  270

23 minutes ago, Heavenunlimited said:

Well when I went to church my side christian she praayed silentlty in tounges..  If now they do that or ask before they do..  In my old church they told me tounges have ceased, but that some get it. And that it was mostly charismatics, other said oh, you dont wanna be near those! And others, be wary it might be other spirits. And here I sit. Never bothered about it never cared and then, it happened. So,  thats all I know. Now I wonder, how can you be sure its of God? As some said to me before be careful it might not be. 

I have trouble praying out loud in our Nazarene Church for tongues just aren't done there as far as I know....    but sometimes in the middle of a prayer you just know someone needs something and it just won't come out in English....   Then when you hesitate with your prayer people think you are in a mental block and interrupt or take over.  I've talked with our pastor and he's ok with me just not praying out loud in the church services.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/20/1988

I've dug into this a lot in the past too, and I've struggled greatly over it. I truly wanted to know, especially having been saved in an Assemblies of God church, and being an active member of the church. Since I settled the issue on my behalf, I've found myself disagreeing with almost every denomination on the issue. I consider myself to Reformed, but I am not a cessationist because I still hold to the gifts continuing. However, I don't believe in the AG doctrines concerning tongues. 

I still struggle on some issues myself, such as the concept of the prayer language that is often emphasized. The biggest reason is that oftentimes when I am in our sanctuary praying with those people, I hear gibberish, and nothing concerning what I would attribute to tongues, which is a dialect. I do hear occasionally prophecy in tongues in our church, and it's always interpreted to mean something to do with repentance. However, I know many people who believe this would be wrong. They hold that prophecy to necessitate praise to God (in context of the original outpouring at Pentecost). But I've heard an example of someone prophecying in perfect Chinese to a person who only spoke Chinese, which lead them to Christ.

I cannot though, believe they have ceased. I have studied this for years, and I truly believe cessationism is an argument from silence. But knowing some of the churches and their abuse of their "gifts", whether they are truly a gift though is the question, it is understandable why some people are thinking they are discontinued. In the end, I just test the spirits as commanded.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.92
  • Days Won:  226

I think speaking in tongues ceased in the NT and it is not required today. What is the point of it? Jesus did not speak in tongues so why should we?

I just read about this funny enough theyve found that after John deceased the church was speaking in tounges.   

Well there must be reasons people do it and get it still as I got it and I surely didnt look for it, mainly pulling my shoulders like whatever be.

end of gifts no I dont think so! Why, because Ive experienced healings, throw out demons, a friends child woke from coma from prayer, .. I had that one thrown at me in my lutheran church that not all have all gifts. I can agree but same time i thought then why do i? And others? Then they said oh it might not be real. Me=questionmark. I only know what i know.

Edited by Heavenunlimited

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  2,359
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

So let's ask the question.   Fundamental Baptist don't speak in tongues and i never heard one do so.  Does God only favor one sect of evangelicals with the gift and the rest well, they don't need it.   Some explanation of this is needed.  As if it is a gift, it would be given across belivers.  As is stands, mainly pentecostals, chrasmatics and i hear some catholics now speak in tongues.    

I don't want to seem as degrading those who does speak in tongues, but i attended and visited a few pentecostal churches and did not see it practiced as the Bible say it is done.   Usually at the end of the service, altar call would be made and lots of tongues and the slaying of the spirit would take place.  Those spirits would try to come upon me and i would rebuke it.    Then one time if felt like a arrow or bullet was shot right in the middle of my heart, then i confirmed some things.   Satan is a master deceiver, and he will seduce you and tempt you will all his tricks.   If the Lord has a gift for you, he knows how to release that to you with confirmation.    Test the spirits.   

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.92
  • Days Won:  226

Speaking and praying in Churches has become quite popular today. That is one of the reasons I have not found a comfortable Church to attend. I will have no part of tongues.

So where do. I sit, in the middle of this? Ive not been to a charismatic or pentecostal church my whole life, and never cared to either, never thought much of it all, and then, in my kitchen, all of a sudden. During worship.