Stumped

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth" - Question: Why would God say this and then have Israel make the Ark of the Covenant representing the throne of God in heaven with wings of the cherubim on it?

Edited by REBEL CRUSADER

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,760
  • Content Per Day:  5.27
  • Days Won:  115

3 minutes ago, REBEL CRUSADER said:

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth" - Question: Why would God say this and then have Israel make the Ark of he Covenant representing the throne of God in heaven with wings of the cherubim on it?

You may find an excellent description of the Ark and its purpose here ...https://bible.org/question/what-was-ark-covenant-and-was-it-real

Now, look through scripture and find what all the idols represented and compare it to what you found in the link.  It is better for you to read for yourself than for me to do the work for you.  You will learn more this way.  May His Spirit guide your studies.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth" - Question: Why would God say this and then have Israel make the Ark of the Covenant representing the throne of God in heaven with wings of the cherubim on it?

Was going to say basically the same thing that OneLight has said. It is dangerous to zero in with razor sharp focus on verses without looking at not only the context of a verse in it's textual setting, but also look at the topic in the more general context of scripture as a whole. 

There are lots of things in the Bible, that are symbols, even words themselves are symbols of ideas. God wants to be first in our hearts, and anything that rises about that, is an idol. We can put our posessions, our families, our friendships, our church, some leader, all sorts of things in first place. That is idolotry.

When God instructed the Hebrews not to fashion images of things invisible, He was looking out for the best interest of the people, knowing that we have a natural propensity, to make important things into ultimate things.

Let's look at the contest though of the commandment to not make graven images, only there, I am not including chapters, paragraphs, verse numbers etc, not assigning numbers to commandments, just look at the thought flow:

"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Can you see that theme, the continuity?

They just were delivered by the had of God, from a land of false gods and idols. While Moses is up on the mountain receiving the commandments, what are they doing? These Hebrews, were bemoaning the fact that they left the land where they were slaves to idolaters, and were in fact, making an idol already, while Moses was receiving the commandments.

So the theme of the commandments is right off the back, telling them that they are to not have other God, no idols, not worship things other than God, to instead, worship the Creator, not the creation, and not the works of their own hands.

God is not instructing them to make idols, He is trying to protect them, from separating themselves from God, by making idol of their own imagination,

The ark of the covenant, on the other hand, is to help them in their worship of, and focus on, God Himself, that is the difference.

I hope you are now, less confused.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,090
  • Content Per Day:  4.66
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings REBEL

Welcome to Worthy.....there is nothing more to add to One Light & Omegamans replies except that the Ark of the Covenant was not merely " representing the Throne of God but also as a symbol of Gods PRESENCE..He instructed them how to build the Ark with specific detail for that Purpose.....to hold His Testimony,His Word

“the ark of God” (1 Samuel 3:3; 4:11), as the throne of the divine presence.                                       from link provided by One Light

Neither the Ark nor the Tablets were to be idolized or worshipped but the Presence of God Himself as it was placed in the Holy of Holies to worship the LORD GOD...it is very important to read the Scriptures in full context  

Its funny Omegaman pointed out the Hebrews reverting right back to what they had just been Delivered from when they were making the golden calf .......this is exactly what so many struggle with today...the Renewing of the Mind    It is much more difficult for someone who has been indoctrinated with false teachings of customs & traditions of men to let go & let God than it is for an atheist or agnostic who knows nothing at all.......imo,    Free in Christ,Delivered,no more shackles,strong holds or chains & then in the very next moment(left to their own devices),after leaving all their baggage at the foot of the Cross they pick it up to  take with them on their way!!!!We must pray without ceasing,keeping our Eyes on Jesus .............                                                         With love-in Christ,Kwik