• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/20/1988

What are some ways that you can think of to go above and beyond the "normal" call (so to speak) of showing honor? This has really been on my mind, and I think I need to do more. I've considered writing to my Pastor consistently, probably anonymous, to encourage him. Also perhaps finding something to do for my mother, especially with her going through chemo treatments right now. 

Not to belittle the obvious things of speaking highly, listening, obeying (Biblical) requests, etc, I feel there's something God wants me to do that is deeper.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

10 hours ago, missmuffet said:

People should bring the best out in us not the worst.

Ask not what people can do  for you, but as you may do for people.  -To paraphrase a speech writer for JFK.

8 minutes ago, lance.dunlop said:

What are some ways that you can think of to go above and beyond the "normal" call (so to speak) of showing honor? This has really been on my mind, and I think I need to do more. I've considered writing to my Pastor consistently, probably anonymous, to encourage him. Also perhaps finding something to do for my mother, especially with her going through chemo treatments right now. 

Not to belittle the obvious things of speaking highly, listening, obeying (Biblical) requests, etc, I feel there's something God wants me to do that is deeper.

Carry a basin,a bucket ,and a sign? "FREE FOOT WASHINGS"

Seriously, go out of turn ( Normal convention) for someone, anyone, -not being a respecter of person and station be extra kind.

Paul's guidance instructions for Timothy might be an example, be extra kind in dealings with  any older person especially when they might be cantankerous by  nature, rebuke them ever so gently if rebuke is required, and if possible surrender in the small issues of little importance, keeping  in mind that  practically all issues are small.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  2

13 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

I agree ... this is what I've had to do.  I had to create very strong and strict boundaries, not only for myself but for my children.  But I still pray/ed for them (my father passed away, mother still living) and I was/am respectful in conversation, witness/ed to them, send gifts, am generally kind and never spoke/speak harshly to them.  I truly love them... but I cannot be close to them.  When my father was dying, the Lord made a way that I could go and visit, help care for him, witness to him, and pray with him.  I was able to see the fruits of many years of prayer as my father changed in his last months of life and accepted Jesus. I prayed for him since I was saved at age 13 (1986) ... he came to Christ almost 20 years later... in 2005. Never underestimate the power of forgiveness, prayer, and waiting on the Lord. :emot-heartbeat:

Thats great Abby, well done! That only show that NOTHING is impossible for God. Praise God! Not many wouldve had that patience. 

Only two years between us Abby

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

My in laws were abusive and hateful.  I finally concluded that they were doing the best they knew how to do.  They did not have the Holy Spirit.  They lived as the world lives and did what was right in their own eyes.  But through Christ I learned to respect them and have pity on them, in spite of the fact that they had hardened their hearts to the Gospel and used us for their own gain.  We had learned to stand up to them and not be doormats, and to endure their scorn.  It really hurts when these are people, who are supposed to be the ones we can trust,  betray us time and time again.  But perhaps we learned a little of what Christ endured on earth when He was rejected and scorned by men, the very people He came to die for and save.  

It is hard to watch what it has done to my husband.  But God's love does heal and He shows Himself to be the perfect Father that we can trust.  He is faithful when no man is faithful.  So I have rejoiced in God's promises to heal the broken hearted, to bind up our wounds, and to make something beautiful of us.  And I rejoice even more to have seen the fruit of those promises.  

So for those who are able to keep distance from your abusers, I applaud you for your stand.  And I applaud you for continuing to send gifts and cards.  You will never earn their love when they have none to give.  Instead, bask in God's unearned love.  

I love the phrase of the Rabbi in Fiddler on the Roof.  God bless and keep the czar--far away from here!:P