IGNORED

When did Jesus call his teaching Christianity? Wouldn't we be Jews instead?

Jewels7

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  713
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

Being he came to the lost sheep of the house of Israel as he said. Wouldn't we be reformed Jews? Or Jews of some kind, not Messianic, being Jesus fulfilled the prophecy concerning the Messiah? 

How did we arrive at being called Christians? As if we're following Christ's teachings as if they had no foundation in the OT Jewish faith? 

I had heard that Christian was a derivative of Cretin and was intended to be an insult when the early pagans described the followers of the itinerant rabbi Yeshua. Does anyone know of that story or if it is true?  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I will only try to answer one question.  We can read in scripture that the disciples first called Christians in Antioch.  Acts 11:26.  Not sure why, as they were know to follow The Way prior to that.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Jewels7 said:

Being he came to the lost sheep of the house of Israel as he said. Wouldn't we be reformed Jews? Or Jews of some kind, not Messianic, being Jesus fulfilled the prophecy concerning the Messiah? 

How did we arrive at being called Christians? As if we're following Christ's teachings as if they had no foundation in the OT Jewish faith? 

I had heard that Christian was a derivative of Cretin and was intended to be an insult when the early pagans described the followers of the itinerant rabbi Yeshua. Does anyone know of that story or if it is true?  

Throughout history,  today even, Christians are being mocked - on forums, in real life, in cities and countries all around the world,

often with anger and contempt;  likewise with torture,  humiliation, imprisonment, beatings and execution (and treatment not appropriate to talk about). 

To start with ,  here's some recent excerpts about the first century:

"... ... A person who became a follower (disciple) of Jesus experienced a radical change in values, attitudes and actions - and the world mocked such people by calling them "Christians." ... The disciples were first called "Christians" at Antioch..... .... "

".... The designation of the early followers of Christ as Christians was initiated by the non-Christian population of Antioch. ... Christian population of Antioch (Acts 11: 26), and originally it was probably a term of mocking or derision – “little Christ”..... "

"....And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians. ... used to ridicule and mock the followers of the criminal black lowlife Yeshua of Nazarene. ... ... "

"...The term 'Christian' was used to describe a follwer of Christ in terms of the world, from the world’s point of view. The pagans at Antioch called the apostles "Christians" first (Acts 11:26; 26:28) and used it derogatorily because the apostles didn’t follow the commercial world of the pagans....."

"....The name "Christian" was first given to the followers of Jesus in Antioch. Antioch was notorious for its ability to produce nicknames. They had one even for the emperor whom they once called "the Goat." Thus the name "Christian" was given to the followers of Jesus neither by themselves nor by the Jews, but by the Greek speaking pagans in Antioch. It was a nickname, a by- word, given in derision and contempt. .... "

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

I will only try to answer one question.  We can read in scripture that the disciples first called Christians in Antioch.  Acts 11:26.  Not sure why, as they were know to follow The Way prior to that.

That's what I understood also. Followers of The Way. 

Since posting this I sought resources that would inform as well. 

I found this:  

Should we call ourselves a Christian?
Richard Anthony

How and when was the word "Christian" first used? The term 'Christian' was used to describe a follwer of Christ in terms of the world, from the world’s point of view. The pagans at Antioch called the apostles "Christians" first (Acts 11:26; 26:28) and used it derogatorily because the apostles didn’t follow the commercial world of the pagans. "Christian" is an adjective, not a noun. The substance is not in the word "Christian", the substance is in the heart of the man it is attempting to describe, and which the pagan user cannot see.

Christ never called himself a Christian, Christ never called his followers Christians. The apostles never called each other Christians. Christ never used an adjective to describe himself. So how are we to identify ourselves then? The disciples called each other, "brethren", "disciples", "apostles", "servants", "believers", "followers", "the faithful", "the elect", "the called", and "saints." We can also identify ourselves as "bondservants" of Christ.

[--------]

"Cristianos, Christian: a word formally not after the Greek but after the Roman manner, denoting attachment to or adherents to Christ. Only occurs as used by others of them, not by Christians of themselves. Tacitus (A.D. 96) says (Annals 15, 44), ‘The vulgar call them Christians. The author or origin of this denomination, Christus, had, in the reign of Tiberius been executed by the procurator, Pontius Pilate.’" Ethelbert William Bullinger, A Critical Lexicon and Concordance of the English and Greek New Testament (1908), p. 152.

"This name (Christian) occurs but three times in the New Testament, and is never used by Christians of themselves, only as spoken by or coming from those without the church. The general names by which the early Christians called themselves were ‘brethren,’ ‘disciples,’ ‘believers,’ and ‘saints.’ The presumption is that the name ‘Christian’ was originated by the heathen." Thomas W. Doane, Bible Myths (1882), page 567, note 3.

"The name (Christian) given by the Greeks or Romans, probably in reproach, to the followers of Jesus. It was first used at Antioch." Easton’s Bible Dictionary.

"Egypt, which you commanded to me, my dearest Servianus, I have found to be wholly fickle and inconsistent, and continually wafted about every breath of fame. The worshippers of Serapis (here) are called Christians, and those who are devoted to the god Serapis (I find), call themselves Bishops of Christ." The Emperor Adrian to Servianus, written A.D. 134.

If you go to Zodhiates Word Studies, he tells you that when they were called Christians at Antioch, using the word ‘crematezo,’ it was a "divine warning." In other words, be forewarned, avoid this word and the use of it. And that’s what the apostles did. You will never read any of these New Testament writers using the term ‘christian’ to describe themselves.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Yes, I had heard the term Christians was used in a derogatory fashion, but was turned 180˚ around and became a positive term as they were honored to be called Christ like.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, Jewels7 said:

Yes, Jesus did say that he came for the "lost sheep of Israel", but you have to read Matthew 15 to see who he was talking to when he said that and what the result was.  The result was a non-Jewish woman expressing great faith in Christ and her non-Jewish daughter being healed.

Jesus also said in John 10 that “I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd”.

To be a reformed Jew, you would have to be a Jew to start with.  Gentiles are not and will never be Jews.  They can convert to Judaism, but that doesn't make them Jews.

As someone else has said, Christians were first called Christians at Antioch.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

The "house of Israel" refers to the twelve tribes of Israel descended from Jacob.  And while Christ came to the lost sheep of the house of Israel, He sent His apostles to Samaria and the uttermost parts of the earth with the Gospel.  So the whole world was to hear the Gospel and be saved.  But a Gentile does not become a Jew by being saved.  He or she becomes a child of God.

"Christian" simply means "Christ-one" and the disciples of Christ were first called Christians at Antioch (where a large Christian presence was found).  It is not necessarily a derisive word.

Guest shiloh357

Christian does not come from the word Cretin.  It is derived from the Greek word "Christos"   "Christians" in Greek is, "Χριστιανούς." or Christianoos.  It means "little Christs."

Thank you. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

e asre christians (followers of Christ) but it also says we are graftedinto the vine so in thta sense we are jewish, we are followers of the Way at least I hope we all are rather than followers of doctrine or denomination.  The Way is the pure form of worship we seek and desire but it will only be found in the spirit rather than the letter.  We are to be spiritual rather than carnal and it is only in the spirit that we can understand