• Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,828
  • Content Per Day:  4.76
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

3 minutes ago, FresnoJoe said:

Tule Fog - Fresno - Bakersfield - The Big Valley, lol~!

:24: Your posts make me laugh @FresnoJoe.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

7 hours ago, KPaulG said:

Thanks @Marilyn C. We've not talked in a long time

Hi Paul,

I remember when your pop up would come up & we`d have a chat. (years ago) Then I did appreciate your prayers (prayer thread) as I`m recovering from my op.

Bless you bro. Marilyn.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,146
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  0

congratulations Paul cars give you the freedom but they are an expensive hobby. it will teach you to budget or maybe not lol!

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Thomas Bros. were my close companions too, Los Angeles and Orange Counties editions. Once I hit riverside I was lost course there wasn't too much there anyway. Made a lot of night time runs back in the  1960's in the Tule fog, mighty slow going, often had to run one tire on and one off the road just to know where on the pavement we might be. Silly stuff we had to do making semi-emergency runs back then. 

Knotts was a fun evening back then, young  couples, the seal tank, having the price in coins for the seal food. And if we had money for both gasoline and people food, Sambo's Coffee Shop. I still visit the last one, the original at Santa Barbara when I get out there- just for  a sense of the memories. Probably be driving there next week after flying into Ontario.

Ah what a difference- to be just now learning to drive as compared to those days. Gosh there was still the expression; "We are going for a Sunday drive."  And it meant what it sounded like, everyone is piling in the car and going  for a drive, just to be driving, to no place special, just to see something beyond the city limits sign. Today, going for a drive might mean making it to Lowes for  repair parts for a faucet, not just carefree roaming to nowhere special.

Can't imagine wanting to get in a car today just to drive it. But then, I didn't just get my learners permit either....

Guess it likely feels like  the same thrill as it did back in the day,- of having a permit and hoping to get past the time of needing a licensed adult in the car. Getting that license to go about terrorizing friend and stranger alike with a hunk of motorized metal  and a set of glass pack mufflers. Leaving strips of rubber on the pavement- which used to cost a dollar a foot for exhibition speed at the court house appearance.  Why my insurance cost more than my car fuel and maintenance. Course fuel was 28 cents  for years unless there was a gas war going on then it might drop to 18 cents a gallon for awhile, leaving more room for leaving an impressively decent tip at Sambos, even after buying that seal food on a date at Knott's.

ps- Just remembered it was Union 76 versus Chevron; and of course Shell with TCP usually a couple cents more. Plus a few  ESSO stations, and the Sunoco stations with their dial a blend  pumps; all with pump attendants- couldn't  pump your own fuel, too dangerous (ha)- think there was even a law against doing so.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The Tule fog got me once- silly thing, I received the call at home on Thanksgiving. A "first call",  had to drive to work to make a run, right at the middle of dinner too. Backed out in the deep Tule foggy almost rain. Needing to make time I hit the gas as I started to roar off, and rammed right into the back of a heavy duty white plumbers panel truck that was parked there, evidently making a Thanksgiving day overtime service call for a clogged sink. Drove that truck clean up on the front lawn of a neighbors yard, and right past my girlfriend's home ( The gal I married) just totally crushing the front half of my car,  wrapping myself around the steering wheel and driving the steering column against my skull. The police came and asked what  I was trying to do. I told them who I worked for and that I was  about to make a coroner's run. The officer said "you sure were", and he didn't write me a ticket. Said he would but since I was trying to get to work to make a first call, he let it go.

Another neighbor had a junk car  in their garage one year different as my now wreck. So I spent a week of days tearing mine apart and bolting their front half onto my wrecked car. Made it work for a while, but the frame was bent, had it tweaked yet it would never make a clean left turn again. Bummer. Had many hours of labor and love of machine put into that car, plus everything Pep boys had to offer in ad ons. Sold it for a $100, good money. And bought a 1960 Plymouth Sports Fury hard top. And MOPAR and I became friends, good friends. Now look at me, a geezer with a Hybrid Hyundai, happy to get 41 miles to a gallon of fuel. So sad,  aw the ravages of time.

So enjoy that permit cherish the adventures, but be a whole lot wiser, than some of us were, along the way.

16 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Paul,

I remember when your pop up would come up & we`d have a chat. (years ago) Then I did appreciate your prayers (prayer thread) as I`m recovering from my op.

Bless you bro. Marilyn.

Me too.

16 hours ago, existential mabel said:

congratulations Paul cars give you the freedom but they are an expensive hobby. it will teach you to budget or maybe not lol!

Thanks. lol

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

The Tule fog got me once- silly thing, I received the call at home on Thanksgiving. A "first call",  had to drive to work to make a run, right at the middle of dinner too. Backed out in the deep Tule foggy almost rain. Needing to make time I hit the gas as I started to roar off, and rammed right into the back of a heavy duty white plumbers panel truck that was parked there, evidently making a Thanksgiving day overtime service call for a clogged sink. Drove that truck clean up on the front lawn of a neighbors yard, and right past my girlfriend's home ( The gal I married) just totally crushing the front half of my car,  wrapping myself around the steering wheel and driving the steering column against my skull. The police came and asked what  I was trying to do. I told them who I worked for and that I was  about to make a coroner's run. The officer said "you sure were", and he didn't write me a ticket. Said he would but since I was trying to get to work to make a first call, he let it go.

Another neighbor had a junk car  in their garage one year different as my now wreck. So I spent a week of days tearing mine apart and bolting their front half onto my wrecked car. Made it work for a while, but the frame was bent, had it tweaked yet it would never make a clean left turn again. Bummer. Had many hours of labor and love of machine put into that car, plus everything Pep boys had to offer in ad ons. Sold it for a $100, good money. And bought a 1960 Plymouth Sports Fury hard top. And MOPAR and I became friends, good friends. Now look at me, a geezer with a Hybrid Hyundai, happy to get 41 miles to a gallon of fuel. So sad,  aw the ravages of time.

So enjoy that permit cherish the adventures, but be a whole lot wiser, than some of us were, along the way.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting story @Gary Lee

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  239
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,175
  • Content Per Day:  1.52
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

im thinking the middle of the road might be a safe place now lol.