Sign in to follow this  
MorningGlory

What that drawer under your oven is REALLY for....

6 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

Wow i didnt know that. I use it for pot tops

Guest shiloh357

I just thought it was miscellaneous storage.  I have hunting knives, trapping wire, gorilla tape, a tripod cook chain and trammel and some other tools down there.

I would rather use it as a warming drawer. But now have to find a place to store that trays under there :)

On 3/1/2017 at 4:47 PM, MorningGlory said:

That makes sense. It gets very warm under there. But like you I store my pots and pans under there.

Blessings MG

Now I will tell you a funny story.....I lived in NYC & moved to Florida many may years ago.....I never had an electric stove before but it "looked" just the same to me,I decided to broil some sirloin one day & set the oven to broil just like I've done hundreds of times in NY,usually 10,15 minutes at the most & I would need to flip it over but for some reason nothing was happening....I kept checking & checking & checking,still NOTHING!!!I figured"Oh well,it must broken" and cooked it another way.....

I spoke to my dad every day so the next day I mentioned "the broken broiler" to my dad.....he said"Are the elements coming on?"I replied"I don't think so,I'll check..."

Lo & behold,I said "Dad,there are no elements!!!!" He laughed & said,"Ah,are you using the "Broiler Tray?"   I said "Yes,of course"    HE said"Thats a warming drawer Babe,electric ovens don't have broiler trays!!!!!! :24:Anyway,I learned what that drawer is for about 40 years ago & had a good laugh over it!!!

On 3/2/2017 at 1:57 PM, shiloh357 said:

I just thought it was miscellaneous storage.  I have hunting knives, trapping wire, gorilla tape, a tripod cook chain and trammel and some other tools down there.

Ohmigosh!  Don't they get heated down there?

On 5/25/2017 at 2:04 PM, kwikphilly said:

Blessings MG

Now I will tell you a funny story.....I lived in NYC & moved to Florida many may years ago.....I never had an electric stove before but it "looked" just the same to me,I decided to broil some sirloin one day & set the oven to broil just like I've done hundreds of times in NY,usually 10,15 minutes at the most & I would need to flip it over but for some reason nothing was happening....I kept checking & checking & checking,still NOTHING!!!I figured"Oh well,it must broken" and cooked it another way.....

I spoke to my dad every day so the next day I mentioned "the broken broiler" to my dad.....he said"Are the elements coming on?"I replied"I don't think so,I'll check..."

Lo & behold,I said "Dad,there are no elements!!!!" He laughed & said,"Ah,are you using the "Broiler Tray?"   I said "Yes,of course"    HE said"Thats a warming drawer Babe,electric ovens don't have broiler trays!!!!!! :24:Anyway,I learned what that drawer is for about 40 years ago & had a good laugh over it!!!

That's funny!  So far I don't think ANYONE, except you, knew that is a warming drawer! 

Guest shiloh357
5 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Ohmigosh!  Don't they get heated down there?

I use the stove and the microwave most of the time.  I don't use the oven part that much.  I never thought about them getting really hot down there.  I guess I need to move that stuff, LOL.

That's funny!  So far I don't think ANYONE, except you, knew that is a warming drawer!                       Morning Glory

Only because of my Dad Sis.....I certainly knew LESS than anyone else here when I was trying to cook in it!!!!!:24:

I never thought about them getting really hot down there.  I guess I need to move that stuff, LOL.                          Shiloh

I doubt it Shiloh,it will only keep hot food  from getting cold & it does not do a very good job of it.....turn the oven on for maybe 20 minutes & check it out by putting a metal or glass pan in there & see how warm yours gets.... I can pick up my pans with bare hands,thats not warm imo    But surely ovens vary

Sign in to follow this