IGNORED

Do pastors have the right to comment on people's personal spending?

BlackZeppelin

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all.  I was wondering what right, if any, do pastors have the right to comment on the personal finances of their church goers? In other words, if you buy something with your own money working your own job, what right has the pastor to comment on it? 

16 yrs ago I bought myself a near new car for $45,000 and my pastor made a snide comment about it, insinuating that it was worldly.  This pastor then commented how she and her husband gave up everything to form their church.

I am now looking around to replace it and those words kind of cut me, leaving me angry and bitter. 

Does a pastor have the right to comment on people's personal spending? For the record, I'm looking at about $60 to 70,000 to replace my ageing car. And I'm older now and don't want to keep it forever anymore.  

But again, is that the business of any pastor?

P.S. If you must know, I am seriously considering the upcoming Kia Stinger, V6 twin turbo. 

Edited by BlackZeppelin

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Welcome~!

Zoom~! Zoom~!

~

:sherlock:

No~! IMO Pastors Need To Be Men (And Woman) Of Faith Too

Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die: Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain. Proverbs 30:7-9

At Your Age What Are You Doing Hanging Around Folks
Who Are Watching Your Wallet
I Ask

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

1 Timothy 6:17-19 NIV

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.

Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.

In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age,

so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

13 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Hi all.  I was wondering what right, if any, do pastors have the right to comment on the personal finances of their church goers? In other words, if you buy something with your own money working your own job, what right has the pastor to comment on it? 

16 yrs ago I bought myself a near new car for $45,000 and my pastor made a snide comment about it, insinuating that it was worldly.  This pastor then commented how she and her husband gave up everything to form their church.

I am now looking around to replace it and those words kind of cut me, leaving me angry and bitter. 

Does a pastor have the right to comment on people's personal spending? For the record, I'm looking at about $60 to 70,000 to replace my ageing car. And I'm older now and don't want to keep it forever anymore.  

But again, is that the business of any pastor?

P.S. If you must know, I am seriously considering the upcoming Kia Stinger, V6 twin turbo. 

Welcome :)

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,708
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

depends on the situation....and how. If a pastor sees someone who isnt being wise with their money, say buying a $45,000 car when they only make $25,000 a year and are &75,000 in debt, then yes, I think a pastor should say something-though in love, a snide comment in passing, isnt the way to do it. They should take the person aside and show them how God wants them to manage their money. However if the person buys something they can afford and is wise with their money, the pastor should do no more then to lovingly assure that you are being wise with your money. Love is the key word.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  713
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Creflo "Godneedsajet" Dollar doesn't have the right to comment. 

Nor does Joel Osteen. Nor does pastor Paula White. 

Basically not even the poor one's have a right. 

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

Anybody can say anything even a pastor.But it kind of sounded too judgmental. You have a right to spend your money anyway you see fit. Only if you tell God you will do something for his work or to help someone then it becomes his money.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  713
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

22 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

Anybody can say anything even a pastor.But it kind of sounded too judgmental. You have a right to spend your money anyway you see fit. Only if you tell God you will do something for his work or to help someone then it becomes his money.

Sure. Anyone can comment. I think what the question is in particular is can a pastor take issue from that seat of authority over a member of his flock? And about their spending? 

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

4 hours ago, Jewels7 said:

Sure. Anyone can comment. I think what the question is in particular is can a pastor take issue from that seat of authority over a member of his flock? And about their spending? 

Where does the bible say a pastor can tell a member what to do with there own money.  It does not except to encourage us to help those in need. Remember Judah was upset when all the money of someone was spent on perfume to pour on Jesus feet. He said it could have been used for the poor. Jesus said leave her alone.Just because somebody is a pastor does not make them our owner.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

It should make no worldly difference to anyone  what anyone else drives; but as to status symbols, "the new status symbol is the paid off mortgage, not the BMW in the driveway." quoting Dave Ramsey