IGNORED

Hope this is the right spot: Is the source of the book of Revelation as we know them really the remnants of a pagan Sybiline prophecy scroll set?

tinyprayers

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  209
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

I was listening to a broadcast once and it was said that a pagan Sybil in Rome or somewhere near had come to the local Monarch with a proposal. She'd recorded prophetic sight that had to do with that leaders future and world events. She gave a price the ruler refused. The Sybil departed into the courtyard of the palace grounds and burned three of the 12 scrolls . She offered the remainder to the Monarch at the first price she'd given for the original 12. He refused. She burned three more scrolls in the courtyard. Finally having but 6 left the king conceded and bought the scrolls.

Those are what became the book of Revelation today? And that is why the argument is also made that all events are describing the Caesar cults of the time and have transpired already.

I'm curious because I'd not heard about the sybil before. I know it sounds like the rumors that Osiris preceded Christ and we're a pagan mystery faith death cult following older traditions under the guise of Easter, Christmas, and so-fourth. No disrespect intended.  Looking forward to an open discussion. If this isn't the right place please move me if this line of questioning is OK here.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

First, I removed the GIF you wanted to share.  In the past we have had issues with bright changing icons and pictures.  They caused epileptic seizures in some members.  I am not sure if this is still the case with members today, but please keep this in mind when posting pictures.

The Book of Revelation is written by John, as it is clearly stated in Revelation 1:1 "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John".  I never heard of the story you speak of, but I am sure there are many like it to discourage people from believing in scripture.  If you doubt the author of one book, how easy would it be to doubt the whole bible?  Can you see the hand of Satan in this?

Guest shiloh357
52 minutes ago, tinyprayers said:

I was listening to a broadcast once and it was said that a pagan Sybil in Rome or somewhere near had come to the local Monarch with a proposal. She'd recorded prophetic sight that had to do with that leaders future and world events. She gave a price the ruler refused. The Sybil departed into the courtyard of the palace grounds and burned three of the 12 scrolls . She offered the remainder to the Monarch at the first price she'd given for the original 12. He refused. She burned three more scrolls in the courtyard. Finally having but 6 left the king conceded and bought the scrolls.

Those are what became the book of Revelation today? And that is why the argument is also made that all events are describing the Caesar cults of the time and have transpired already.

I'm curious because I'd not heard about the sybil before. I know it sounds like the rumors that Osiris preceded Christ and we're a pagan mystery faith death cult following older traditions under the guise of Easter, Christmas, and so-fourth. No disrespect intended.  Looking forward to an open discussion. If this isn't the right place please move me if this line of questioning is OK here.

No, there is no truth to any of that.   The Book of Revelation makes its authorship and source clear. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,064
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

13 minutes ago, OneLight said:

First, I removed the GIF you wanted to share.  In the past we have had issues with bright changing icons and pictures.  They caused epileptic seizures in some members.  I am not sure if this is still the case with members today, but please keep this in mind when posting pictures.

it is still a problem with some people and thank you for removing it.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  209
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

37 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Thanks. Is there something in the ToS or board rules that tells us about those type gif pictures? I think I missed that  or I would not have posted that image had I known. Thanks again. :) 

Not sure if there is anything about the pictures pinned somewhere or not.  I'll have to look.  At least you know now!

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,....." 2 Timothy 3:16 (NIV)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings tinyprayers....

I'm a little curious about where you heard or watched this "broadcast"?I often wonder why anyone would give even a little or any credence to  such an obscure story? The Word of God has 66 Books,those Books can be cross referenced,examined,researched,studied & gone over with a fine tooth comb and there is more evidence to support that it is accurate,irrefutable.infallible & true than not ....and that is clear by mans mere intellect,reason& academics.....add in Wisdom & Understanding by the Power of the Holy Spirit and it is the Greatest Treasure to be had...........                                                     With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

6 hours ago, tinyprayers said:

Looking forward to an open discussion.

There's really nothing to discuss. As others have already pointed out, the book of Revelation has absolutely nothing to do with pagans and legends connecting Christianity to paganism.  Any pagan *prophecies* would originate with Satan.