da_man1974

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

ALL translations involve a certain amount of paraphrasing - a truly 'literal' translation would be unintelligible. The amount of paraphrasing may be the bare minimum (as in the KJV), virtually 100% (as in The Message), or somewhere in between. Everyone has their own comfort zone along this spectrum.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I found this review and it seemed very thorough I hope it helps this is a snip.

http://www.bible-researcher.com/nlt2.html

New Living Translation, second edition (2004)

Mark R. Norton, ed., Holy Bible, New Living Translation. 2nd edition. Wheaton, Illinois: Tyndale House, 2004.

This is a revision of the New Living Translation that was published by Tyndale House in 1996. A "Note to Readers" in the second edition explains that the main purpose of the revision was "increasing the level of the NLT's precision." It claims that the revised NLT is now a "general-purpose text especially good for study":

The Holy Bible New Living Translation, was first published in 1996. It quickly became one of the most popular Bibles in the English-speaking world. While the NLT's influence was rapidly growing, the NLT Bible Translation Committee determined that an additional investment in scholarly review and text refinement could make it even better. So shortly after its initial publication, the committee began an eight-year process with the purpose of increasing the level of the NLT's precision without sacrificing its easy-to-understand quality. This second generation text was completed in 2004 and is reflected in this edition of the New Living Translation.

The goal of any Bible translation is to convey the meaning and content of the ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts as accurately as possible to contemporary readers. The challenge for our translators was to create a text that would communicate as clearly and powerfully to today's readers as the original texts did to readers and listeners in the ancient biblical world. The resulting translation is easy to read and understand, while also accurately communicating the meaning and content of the original biblical texts. The NLT is a general-purpose text especially good for study, devotional reading and to be read aloud in public worship.

Three years ago I published a review of the 1996 New Living Translation, in which I pointed out some of the more important inaccuracies of the version. The problems were considerable, even to the extent that one of the NLT's own translators had written, "I never recommend it to anyone except to supplement the reading of a more literal translation to generate freshness and new insights, unless they are kids or very poor adult readers." I am glad to report now that in the 2004 revision most of the problems I identified and discussed in my earlier review have been rectified. There is a substantial increase in accuracy throughout the version, and the version's "schmaltzy" quality has been toned down quite a bit also. The editors at Tyndale house are to be commended for this improvement, which will contribute to a more accurate knowledge of the Word of God among those who use the New Living Translation.

However, it must also be said that the revised NLT continues to be much less accurate than other versions commonly used in American churches (including even the New International Version), and it does not rise to the level of accuracy that readers need for serious study or appreciation of the Bible's details. I can illustrate the shortcomings with randomly selected passages:

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  726
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  12/30/1974

NLT is just the latest version i have been reading. I also spend time in the niv and nkjv. 

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Technically when it comes to translations, a paraphrase is taking an already translated translation and putting it into ones' own words like The Living Bible (TLB) did...it was a paraphrase. The NLT, is a translation not a paraphrase.

Thank you for the info YOWM. So the msg would be a paraphrase also?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

18 minutes ago, da_man1974 said:

Thank you for the info YOWM. So the msg would be a paraphrase also?

I would say The Message is the worst paraphrased rendering I have ever come across, full of new age terminology and it removes the full meaning of many passages and replaces it with false teaching.

I decided to return here to add just one of many examples.  Here is The Message on Matthew 6:9-13 ... compare this to what your bible says.

The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They’re full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don’t fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what’s best—
    as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You’re in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You’re ablaze in beauty!
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

Here is what is from the NJKV

In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

I have never read the msg and dont plan to