Jesus Fasted The Fast Of Esther

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  505
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

Not many Christians know about this Jewish tradition but it was a fast that Jesus took part in but has virtually gone unnoticed. The fast of Esther begins on day 13 of month 1 (Aviv) and lasts three days till the 16th:

Esther 3:12
Then on the thirteenth day of the first month the royal secretaries were summoned.

Later that day:

Esther 4:15-16
15 Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: 16 “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.”

Esther broke with tradition and rather than eat the Passover meal she decided to fast in the hope of receiving God’s Favour, as she was about to break a law that could have resulted in her receiving a death sentence. In recognition of this event many of the Jews who were saved began a tradition by fasting over these same three days and instead ate the Passover meal early on the 13th, others however continued to eat it on the normal day. (I believe the Essenes kept the fast of Esther).  

After the last supper, that took place on the evening of the 13th Aviv as the sun set, Jesus also fasted over these same three days, ending on the evening of the sixteenth day when He broke bread with Cleopas and the other disciple in Emmaus (Luke 24). He then immediately appeared to the eleven disciples in the upper room that night and asked for some broiled fish to eat. His disciples also fasted over that time just as Jesus had said they would:

Mark 2:19-20
19 Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? They cannot, so long as they have him with them. 20 But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast.
Edited by When Is Jesus Coming?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  713
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

44 minutes ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:
Not many Christians know about this Jewish tradition but it was a fast that Jesus took part in but has virtually gone unnoticed. The fast of Esther begins on day 13 of month 1 (Aviv) and lasts three days till the 16th:

Esther 3:12
Then on the thirteenth day of the first month the royal secretaries were summoned.

Later that day:

Esther 4:15-16
15 Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: 16 “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.”

Esther broke with tradition and rather than eat the Passover meal she decided to fast in the hope of receiving God’s Favour, as she was about to break a law that could have resulted in her receiving a death sentence. In recognition of this event many of the Jews who were saved began a tradition by fasting over these same three days and instead ate the Passover meal early on the 13th, others however continued to eat it on the normal day. (I believe the Essenes kept the fast of Esther).  

After the last supper, that took place on the evening of the 13th Aviv as the sun set, Jesus also fasted over these same three days, ending on the evening of the sixteenth day when He broke bread with Cleopas and the other disciple in Emmaus. He then immediately appeared to the eleven disciples in the upper room that night and asked for some broiled fish to eat. His disciples also fasted over that time just as Jesus had said they would:

19 Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? They cannot, so long as they have him with them. 20 But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast.

Thank you for sharing this. :) 

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

First I thought you were speaking of Purim, but I guess not. Can you give the Scripture reference to the above?

Purim is celebrated one month before Passover on the 14th and 15th Adar, in recognition of the Jews killing their enemies on the 13th Adar, which was the day that the lot (purim) fell on, that their enemies were meant to kill the Jews.

The Bible reference when Jesus broke the bread in Emmaus is in Luke 24.

Edited by When Is Jesus Coming?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

21 hours ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

Purim is celebrated one month before Passover on the 14th and 15th Adar, in recognition of the Jews killing their enemies on the 13th Adar, which was the day that the lot (purim) fell on, that their enemies were meant to kill the Jews.

The Bible reference when Jesus broke the bread in Emmaus is in Luke 24.

There is no reference to Jesus fasting in 13 Aviv. If there is a direct scripture reference to this you need to state it. The only reference to a fast day in the Jewish calendar that I am aware of is the day of Atonement in October

52 minutes ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

There is no reference to Jesus fasting in 13 Aviv. If there is a direct scripture reference to this you need to state it. The only reference to a fast day in the Jewish calendar that I am aware of is the day of Atonement in October

You need to quote scripture against those that I have posted in the OP to support your assertion. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

14 minutes ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

You need to quote scripture against those that I have posted in the OP to support your assertion. 

NO, when you state something YOU need to prove yourself rather than making others do it for you.

If you don't believe the scritures I quoted then I can't help you. 

Although I don't think you understand what you are saying. You are not making sense unless you're not a Christian of course. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

23 hours ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

His disciples also fasted over that time just as Jesus had said they would:

I think you are taking this a little too literally.

To me, this doesn't mean that the disciples fasted over the three days that Christ was dead.  I don't see in the Bible where they did this.  I DO see where they and the early church practiced fasting long after Jesus was ascended.

I interpret Jesus' words, "they will fast .... in that day", means that once he is gone, it would be appropriate for ALL of his disciples - including you and me - to fast.  He said, "When the bridegroom is with them" they won't fast. 

The Bible teaches the second coming of Christ in the future as the return of the "Bridegroom".  To me, this means fasting is - while not required - suitable and appropriate for the first disciples, the new church, and all believers until the day comes where we partake of the marriage supper of the Lamb in heaven.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

11 minutes ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

If you don't believe the scritures I quoted then I can't help you. 

Although I don't think you understand what you are saying. You are not making sense unless you're not a Christian of course. 

Whoa!  You cited a fact as a Biblical fact without providing scripture.  You said that Jesus and the disciples partook of the Lord's Supper on 13 Aviv (or Nisan).

All TheMatrixHasU71 asked for what scripture did you base that on.  You told him to prove otherwise.  You have the burden of proof to show that something is taught in the Bible or not if you are the one who asserts it.

And your implication that he is "not a Christian" because he doesn't believe you and your assertion that he "doesn't understand what he is saying" is over the top.  You've crossed the line.

You said that the Last Supper took place on 13 Aviv (Nisan).  All that was asked was for a scripture reference.

Please provide it.

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

I think you are taking this a little too literally.

To me, this doesn't mean that the disciples fasted over the three days that Christ was dead.  I don't see in the Bible where they did this.  I DO see where they and the early church practiced fasting long after Jesus was ascended.

I interpret Jesus' words, "they will fast .... in that day", means that once he is gone, it would be appropriate for ALL of his disciples - including you and me - to fast.  He said, "When the bridegroom is with them" they won't fast. 

The Bible teaches the second coming of Christ in the future as the return of the "Bridegroom".  To me, this means fasting is - while not required - suitable and appropriate for the first disciples, the new church, and all believers until the day comes where we partake of the marriage supper of the Lamb in heaven.

Do you really think they even felt like eating after what had just happened? Have you no understanding of what it is like to loose someone you love? Someone who was so important to you that you followed them whereever they went. Someone who you would die for, as they said they would but then denied even knowing them. Have you any idea what guilt feels like? Guilt that eats you up. And have you ever hid in fear of your life as they did? Doubt it very much. The last thing they felt like was eating. You obviously have never thought that deeply about what they all went through. Jesus said they would fast and the only mention of food in all that time was when Jesus broke bread and ate the fish. Please try putting some thought into what you think you believe.