IGNORED

From Everyone Who Has Been Given Much...

Mea kakau

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more. Luke 12:48

I've been given this prophecy and word of knowledge many times as a Christian. The first time I was a baby Christian, having just given my life to the Lord. My friend said to me that I had been given much and much would be required of me.

Not to be bragging, but my friend knew I had many abilities and talents and then God gave me many spiritual gifts. I've always felt this huge burden over my life since my friend quoted this scripture and told me God would expect much from me.

Recently I finished writing a huge novel, nearly 1000 pages, and people said they were moved by it and that the novel changed their lives. It was not one I'd publish for the general public as it contained many of the memories of the horrid things I witnessed and what was done to me. Not long after I posted the final chapter, I repented for not using my writing gift to glorify God and further His Kingdom, and asked Him how He wanted me to use my talent for writing. I felt that this kind of story was leading me astray so maybe it was doing the same for those who read it (???). I know for years the Lord wanted me to use writing novels for healing from my abuse. Though now I don't believe that's true any more.

I wanted to add that I wanted to continue on down the path of writing more novels like this huge one. However God gave me a repetitive dream. I had it three nights in a row before I knew something had to change. I needed to repent and go another direction in my writing. I dreamt that there was an earthquake in my house (not outside of it). The only place where there was destruction was my office I use for writing. The wall to my left was crumbling, huge bricks falling away. I knew exactly what the dream meant: I was sinning and needed to repent and change my ways.

Is this supposed to be a huge burden hanging over me? Do I strive to use all of my gifts, talents, and abilities for God's glory and to further His Kingdom and stop worrying whether I'm doing enough or the right thing or going the right direction? Or always be in prayer for His guidance in the direction I've undertaken? Can I really use all of these abilities, talents, and spiritual gifts? Seems as if I'd need to discern which ones could be used in concert with each other and use those rather than all that has been given me. Seems overwhelming to me is what I'm trying to say.

Something which goes with this.... When I attended a church for the first time (moved many times so not church shopping) I used to dive in head long and used as many of my abilities, talents, and spiritual gifts as possible. Then I felt used as I watched others just sit around not participating in their church. As I grew as a Christian, I started to take a different stance. I held back and discerned which ministry God could use me the most. So would that be going against that scripture Luke 12:48 because I'm not using all that has been given to me?

Edited by Mea kakau

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What does it mean that ‘to whom much is given, much will be required’ (Luke 12:48)?"

Answer:
“From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked” (Luke 12:48). This statement of Jesus has become somewhat of an idiom in Western culture and is found, paraphrased, in Uncle Ben’s words of wisdom to Peter Parker in Spider-man: “With great power comes great responsibility.”

The idea of “to whom much is given, much will be required” is that we are held responsible for what we have. If we are blessed with talents, wealth, knowledge, time, and the like, it is expected that we use these well to glorify God and benefit others.

In context, Jesus had just told a parable about being ready for His return. His disciple Peter asked if the parable was for just them or for everyone. Jesus replied with another parable in which He defines the “faithful and wise manager” as one who gives out food and other allowances “at the proper time.” When the master returns and finds the faithful servant managing his resources well, he “put him in charge of all his possessions” (Luke 12:42–44). We have been entrusted with certain things, and faithfulness requires that we manage those things wisely and unselfishly.

Jesus continued the parable with a contrast: “Suppose the servant says to himself, ‘My master is taking a long time in coming,’ and he then begins to beat the other servants, both men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk. The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers. The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows” (Luke 12:44–47). The unfaithful servant mismanages the master’s resources to satiate his own greed, and Jesus warns that judgment is certain for that servant. The Lord then summarizes the point of the parable with these words: “Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more” (verse 48, ESV). A related parable that also deals with stewardship is the Parable of the Talents (or the Parable of the Bags of Gold) in Matthew 25:14–30.

It is easy to assume that only wealthy people have been “given much,” but, in truth, we have all been given much (1 Corinthians 4:7). We have been granted the abundant grace of God (Ephesians 1:3–10; 3:16–21; Romans 5:8–11; 8:14–17), the Word of God, and the gifts of the Holy Spirit (John 14:16–21; 16:13; Romans 12:6). “Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms” (1 Peter 4:10).

We should also not assume that the less we know about God and His gifts, the less we’ll have to do. As evident in Jesus’ parable, we are held responsible to know our master’s will. God has plainly shown us what He requires (Micah 6:8).

God gives us resources such as finances and time, talents such as culinary skills or musical ability, and spiritual gifts such as encouragement or teaching. We should ask God for wisdom on how to use those resources and commit ourselves to expending them according to His will so that He may be glorified. In regards to spiritual gifts, Paul said, “We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully” (Romans 12:6–8). This is simply responsible stewardship.

We have been given much, and God desires us to use what He has given to further His Kingdom and proclaim His glory. It’s what we were created to do. “Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. . . . For the Son of Man . . . will reward each person according to what they have done’” (Matthew 16:24–25, 27). We are living sacrifices (Romans 12:1), giving the things God has given us in service to others, and in that we actually find life. God, the giver of all good things (James 1:17), gives us everything we need to fulfill His will. “Freely you have received; freely give” (Matthew 10:8).

https://www.gotquestions.org/much-given-required.html

Thank you missmuffet and yowm.

I read that part in gotquestions.org and still wondered about other aspects of those scriptures.

Yowm, you helped me understand somethings further as well.

I don't feel driven nor that I'm leading the Spirit. Though I feel burdened by all that Lord has given me in terms of talents, abilities, and spiritual gifts. Clearly the Lord has not given me money. And that's okay by me. I used to struggle with that. I've learned to live on what I have and even to pay off my debt.

And I've prayed that the Lord would show me how to use everything He's given me. Since I started writing my newest novel, which goes in a direction which is more redeeming than I felt the last one had, I've gotten more revelations about where this is going as well. Previously I wrote a whole novel and was at a loss as to where it fit in the scheme of things. And now I figured out where it goes by following the Holy Spirit's lead.

8 hours ago, eileenhat said:

I find that less doing and more being is required, in regards to Holy Spirit growth within.

Hi eileenhat,

Great post. Thank you.

I came to writing through the Lord giving me the ministry. I did not ask for it. Before that I was in music ministry, playing the flute on worship teams. At the church I was attending at the time, the pastor asked if there was anything we wanted to let go of and to stand. I did. I had no idea what the prayer was about. He asked us to close our eyes and extend our arms palms up and imagine that what we were letting go of was in them. The first thing which came to me was letting my music ministry go. I was shocked that thought would come to me. I imagined my flute lying on my hands, and I offered it to God to do with as He pleased (as instructed by the pastor). I felt lighter as the music ministry was lifted from me. Then the pastor said, "Now receive what the Lord has for you." A heavy weight fell onto both of my hands. It weighed so much that I had to sit in order to hold it on my lap. The Lord showed me it was a huge book filled with many books. As given to me in several dreams, I got the message that I'd be able to read between the lines and derive deeper meaning from that. I heard Him say again and again, "Write."

I remember one woman at the church being shocked that had laid down the music ministry. She said that must not be from God what you're hearing. She loved my flute playing.

And that is how I came into the ministry of writing. For the first twelve years of writing, I had not sought to publish anything nor had I felt the nudging of the Holy Spirit to go that direction. All of my writing was used for healing from my dysfunctional family of origin and my father's abuse.

In 2015, I sensed a change in the direction of my writing through the Holy Spirit. Still I hadn't made the move to publish. I am just now turning that corner.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I understand the need to follow God in the use of your talents.  However, Jesus gave the example of being a servant.  He just met needs that he saw, whether washing tired dusty feet, or whether it was healing the sick, or especially of preaching God's message of repentance and faith toward God.  He showed people their need for a Savior and that He Himself is Who will meet our needs.

God opens our eyes to the needs of others according to the gifts given us.  I see emotional and spiritual needs.  My husband sees practical needs and even anticipates them so that he is there to provide them.  Jesus saw every need.  

I also understand the need to first be healed yourself.  It would seem that God is doing that through your writing.  But there comes a time that God will ask you to pour out your life to others to meet their needs.  We follow the Holy Spirit as He unfolds each day.  It is not mapped out as a course of action but is full of surprises and interruptions that prove to be divine appointments:   opportunities to minister to others out of the life of Christ within you.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

James 5:1–6 (NIV84)
1 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you.
2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes.
3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days.
4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty.
5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.
6 You have condemned and murdered innocent men, who were not opposing you.