Running Gator

Bacon dropping in place of oil

I found a recipe for gumbo that uses bacon drippings in place of oil to make the roux!   I am trying it out as I type this, the roux came out looking great and I had less issues with it trying to burn if I didnt stir often enough.  Not sure how it will affect the taste.  

Ahhh...Shadows you like to cook :) I love using bacon dripping as much as I can. It gives the food a lot more flavor. Let me know how it turns out.

Bad for the heart though. 

44 minutes ago, Davida said:

Bad for the heart though. 

It all depends on if you have a gene for bad cholesterol. I have seen maw and paw who live on the farm and each eat a cube of butter each day plus a huge greasy breakfast and their cholesterol is good. Then you have the major athlete who is obsessed with always eating the perfect heart healthy food and exercises everyday but ends up having heart surgery.

4 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

It all depends on if you have a gene for bad cholesterol. I have seen maw and paw who live on the farm and each eat a cube of butter each day plus a huge greasy breakfast and their cholesterol is good. Then you have the major athlete who is obsessed with always eating the perfect heart healthy food and exercises everyday but ends up having heart surgery.

That is true missmuffit , and  I know bacon is sooooo tasty it's hard to resist.  But with heart problems often there are no symptoms until it's too late and sometimes the cholesterol levels will show they are OK in the lab tests but blockages & narrowing of the arteries can happen.  Genes, stress & eating habits & lifestyle. Back in the old days people on the farms used to fry their bread in bacon grease but then they also chopped their own wood & fetched water  etc etc.... I guess lots of farmers died of heart attacks too come to think of it.

Personally , I wouldn't chance it.

Heart scans are not that expensive and everyone over 45 should do them every few years.

45 minutes ago, Davida said:

That is true missmuffit , and  I know bacon is sooooo tasty it's hard to resist.  But with heart problems often there are no symptoms until it's too late and sometimes the cholesterol levels will show they are OK in the lab tests but blockages & narrowing of the arteries can happen.  Genes, stress & eating habits & lifestyle. Back in the old days people on the farms used to fry their bread in bacon grease but then they also chopped their own wood & fetched water  etc etc.... I guess lots of farmers died of heart attacks too come to think of it.

Personally , I wouldn't chance it.

A person needs to get their cholesterol checked regularly and know their family history. Mine is great and I sure do not watch what I eat. Weight also plays a part in a high cholesterol. Preventive medicine is important and all the insurance companies are taking an active roll in that now. It is best to get it before a disaster strikes.

36 minutes ago, JaniceR said:

Statins kill.

http://www.anh-usa.org/the-grave-dangers-of-statin-drugs-and-the-surprising-benefits-of-cholesterol/

Please do research. One reason alzheimers is so much more common now is statins, same with type 2 diabetis etc. 

Well, Statins do not have anything to do with this thread so I will not derail it. Perhaps you could create a new thread on Statins.