Running Gator

Bacon dropping in place of oil

27 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Well, Statins do not have anything to do with this thread so I will not derail it. Perhaps you could create a new thread on Statins.

You brought up cholesterol, which people take statins to control. You are the one who derailed the thread. I am just trying to warn people.

5 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

I found a recipe for gumbo that uses bacon drippings in place of oil to make the roux!   I am trying it out as I type this, the roux came out looking great and I had less issues with it trying to burn if I didnt stir often enough.  Not sure how it will affect the taste.  

Sounds great and natural bacon fat will make it healthier than processed oil. Wish I could have some.

On 2017-03-11 at 8:55 PM, JaniceR said:

On 2017-03-11 at 9:07 PM, JaniceR said:

Statins kill.

http://www.anh-usa.org/the-grave-dangers-of-statin-drugs-and-the-surprising-benefits-of-cholesterol/

Please do research. One reason alzheimers is so much more common now is statins, same with type 2 diabetis etc. 

Tank you for sharing this information. :-)

On 3/11/2017 at 5:53 PM, Davida said:

Bad for the heart though. 

It all depends on how much you use and how much bacon you eat.  I hardly touch it because I want to watch my cholesterol which is perfect and keep my weight to where it needs to be and that is good too.  However I do love a BLT and I also put it in my bean soup when I cook it in the winter.Just have to watch it.

Genes genes genes. I love bacon, have cooked with bacon grease and hubby died of heart attack like his dad, genes.

My arteries are totally clear and hubby was the healthy one physically....

On 3/11/2017 at 3:39 PM, Out of the Shadows said:

I found a recipe for gumbo that uses bacon drippings in place of oil to make the roux!   I am trying it out as I type this, the roux came out looking great and I had less issues with it trying to burn if I didnt stir often enough.  Not sure how it will affect the taste.  

When I make the roux for Sausage gravy I always use bacon grease.  I keep a jar of it in the 'fridge at all times.  There usually is not enough fat from the sausage to make a roux and plain oil just is not going to give the gravy much flavor.  It might be more forgiving of burning, but you never want to leave a roux unattended.  It should be stirred constantly until it is where you want it because once you discover it might be burning, it's too late and it's already ruined.