IGNORED

Oregon Bakers Lost Everything Before Even Going to Court, Now Their Voice Is Heard

tinyprayers

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  209
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

CBN News 3/2/2017 http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2017/march/oregon-bakers-lose-everything-before-ever-going-to-court-today-that-changes

They're saying what is needed is an executive order to protect Christian business owners rights. I wonder if president Trump will respond with one.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

40 minutes ago, tinyprayers said:

CBN News 3/2/2017 http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2017/march/oregon-bakers-lose-everything-before-ever-going-to-court-today-that-changes

They're saying what is needed is an executive order to protect Christian business owners rights. I wonder if president Trump will respond with one.

Maybe Trump can help with that :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Few Portions of the OP article, emphasis mine:

...Here's the thing: Melissa Klein and her husband Aaron have never had an official day in court — until today.

Thursday, represented by First Liberty Institute, they appeared before the Oregon Court of Appeals.

First Liberty attorneys argued that the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) violated the Kleins’ constitutional rights to religious freedom, free speech, and due process.

The government should never force someone to violate their conscience or their beliefs,” Kelly Shackelford, President and CEO of First Liberty Institute, says. “In a diverse and pluralistic society, people of good will should be able to peacefully coexist with different beliefs. We hope the court will uphold the Kleins’ rights to free speech and religious liberty.”

"..."This case centers on one vitally important question: can the government force citizens to violate their conscience or their faith? The Constitution is clear — the government cannot force people to violate their religious beliefs. The First Amendment was written to prevent exactly that," said Shackelford.

"As kids, we were always taught that America is a melting pot where people with different beliefs can peacefully coexist without government interference. I have a strong faith in God, whom I love with all my heart. My whole life is dedicated to living for Him, in the best way that I know how. Although it hasn't been easy, this experience has taught us to trust God more than ever," said Klein."

"...Our team also spoke with Tony Perkins with the Family Research Council about the Klein's case. "It’s not that they did not want to provide services to someone that was gay or lesbian. It’s that they didn’t want to be forced into providing their creative services for a (homosexual) wedding."Said Perkins

He continued, they’ve sold to customers just as florists like Baronelle Stutzman, great lady who served everyone who came through the door but did not want to use her gifts, her creative gifts, to be a part of something that from a Christian standpoint is sacred, marriage…. Is there not space in our society for that?
"

"That’s why we need an executive order from the President to address this immediately from a federal level, " said Perkins.

He added, "we need to continue to work at this at the state level because those issues in Oregon and Washington are state driven prosecutions… Our constitution makes very clear that it is not only for beliefs but exercise of those beliefs and that’s all we’re asking for and I do not believe as Christians we should settle for anything less.”

"America is supposed to be a place where the government can't force you to violate your religious beliefs or tell you what to believe. We feel like that is exactly what happened to us. We lost everything we worked so hard to build. Nobody in this country should ever have to go through what we've experienced. We just want to be able to live in a place where the government tolerates and accepts differences, and where we can continue to follow our faith. That's what America is supposed to be about," said Klein.

If Trump did help with that it would have to be broadly encompassing all religious freedom and the right to refuse service based on religious preferences or tenets. That could be a very big issue given how America is becoming populated by a very intolerant faith.

That is exactly the point. Hailing a cab but having them drive by because the hailer doesn't fit the criteria for a religious cab drivers services to be rendered. All legal if such a law as the Christian florist wants in place does occur.

Imagine trying to live in a neighborhood that becomes Muslim. Or walk down the sidewalk dressed as a Kafir.

What are we doing thinking we can only serve those we approve? Not anything Jesus demonstrated that's for sure.

Guest BacKaran

I read their story as well as the florist who was run out of business.

Here is a link that I used as I wanted to donate and support them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.crowdfundinsider.com/2015/05/67368-supporters-of-sweet-cakes-by-melissa-launch-continue-to-give-campaign-following-gofundme-rejection/amp/

For Mrs Stuzman I donated thru this link and sorted it be used for her case.

http://www.adflegal.org/issues/religious-freedom

America Defending Freedom is located in Arizona. I had the privilege of going on a tour of their offices with my friend Deb. Deb is an attorney and when she retires to Arizona, she wants to work for ADF.

I was overwhelmed with how many cases they have won and the media chooses not to publicize them. It was a wonderful tour with godly men and women helping Christians like the Klein's and Mrs Stuzman.

Thank you for reading and let's keep bringing prayers and encouragement to those who are getting run over by the PC left.

Karan ?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  713
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

6 hours ago, Davida said:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/04/16/some-muslim-cabbies-in-minneapolis-refusing-service-to-passengers-with-alcohol.html

http://www.dogster.com/the-scoop/

Jan 7th 2007 

St. Paul-Minneapolis Muslim Taxi Cab Drivers Refuse Service to People with Service Dogs and Alcohol

MINNEAPOLIS – Some Muslim cab drivers are refusing service to a growing number of passengers with alcohol or dogs, and officials at Minneapolis-St. Paul International airport are trying to fight it.

“Our expectation is that if you’re going to be driving a taxi at the airport, you need to provide service to anybody who wants it,” said Patrick Hogan, spokesman for the Metropolitan Airport Commission.

Each month, about 100 people are denied cab service at the airport, and refusals for religious reasons have grown in recent months, airport officials said. About three-quarters of the 900 taxi drivers at the airport are Somali, many of them Muslim.

The belief that carrying alcohol or dogs, including those that help people with disabilities, violates religious beliefs is “unfortunate,” Airports Commissioner Bert McKasy said.

Officials on Wednesday asked the commission for permission to hold public hearings on a proposal that would suspend or revoke drivers’ airport licenses for refusing service for reasons other than safety concerns. The commission is expected to vote Jan. 16.

A driver who refuses to transport a passenger with a service dog, in violation of the federal American with Disabilities Act, already faces a 30-day suspension of the airport license, Hogan said. A driver who refuses to transport someone carrying wine is told to go to the back of the taxicab line.

Last year, the airports commission received a fatwa, or religious edict, from the Minnesota chapter of the Muslim American Society saying “Islamic jurisprudence” prohibits taxi drivers from carrying passengers with alcohol, “because it involves cooperating in sin according to Islam.”

In the Quran, Muslims are barred from consuming intoxicants generally understood as alcohol, though the prohibition also extends to narcotics. Devout Muslims interpret the ban to include carrying, buying or selling alcohol. Additionally, dogs are considered unclean and Muslims are required to repeat their ablutions if they come into contact with them before praying.

Given the religious concerns, Hassan Mohamud, an imam and director of the Islamic Law Institute at the Muslim American Society of Minnesota, said he would ask airport officials to reconsider.

Eva Buzek, a flight attendant, said she was recently refused service by five taxi drivers when she was carrying wine as she returned from a trip to France.

“In my book, when you choose to come to a different country, you make some choices,” said Buzek, a native of Poland. “I never expected everything to be the same way as in my homeland, and I adjusted. I never dreamed of imposing my beliefs on somebody else.”

But many Somali taxi drivers do not have a problem transporting passengers with alcohol and are worried about a backlash, Omar Jamal, executive director of the Somali Justice Advocacy Center,told the Star Tribune newspaper. Jamal said he supports the tougher penalties.

“We tell the taxi drivers, if you don’t want to do this, change your job,” he said. “You are living in a country where alcohol is not viewed the way it is in your country.”

I remember when that news first hit as current headline. The guilty parties even refused people with service dogs. Violating the American's with disabilities law. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  54
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Being from the Pacific Northwest, I am very familiar with this story,  There is a Conservative Radio host (Lars Larson) that asked some very interesting questions reguarding this topic.  He asked, would a Muslim Butcher shop be required to fill an order of Pork from an non-Muslim patron? Or, would an African American Bakery be required to fill an order of a White Supremacist ordering a cake that promotes the Ku Klux Klan, with say the depiction of the Confederate flag on it? 

Fidelibus

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, Fidelibus said:

Being from the Pacific Northwest, I am very familiar with this story,  There is a Conservative Radio host (Lars Larson) that asked some very interesting questions reguarding this topic.  He asked, would a Muslim Butcher shop be required to fill an order of Pork from an non-Muslim patron? Or, would an African American Bakery be required to fill an order of a White Supremacist ordering a cake that promotes the Ku Klux Klan, with say the depiction of the Confederate flag on it? 

Fidelibus

I was born in Oregon and have resided in Washington since 1989 so I am familiar with Lars Larson as well. He used to be a news anchor on Channel 12. They raised some really interesting questions. I will have to tune him in. Does he support Trump?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  54
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

21 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I was born in Oregon and have resided in Washington since 1989 so I am familiar with Lars Larson as well. He used to be a news anchor on Channel 12. They raised some really interesting questions. I will have to tune him in. Does he support Trump?

Yes, he does support President Trump.